Is There Such A Think As A Must Have Razon ?

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
I now have only 4 Razors
Feather AS-D2s
Rex Ambassador
Ikon B1 OSS and the
Rockwell 6s In Black.
i love the top 3 for many different reasons
but i haven't tried the Rockwell yet as i'm still working in Norway and it got delivered to my house 2 days after i left.

what's your Best Razor ?
what couldn't you do without ?
Am i missing something
is there a razor i should have (that's) different from above.
I'm actually finished buying razors although i do intend to go down the vintage route.
I know a lot of people rate the Christopher Bradley & the Edwin Jagger DE 89 which is niggling away at me but i genuinely think i'm done on the modern front unless someone on here tells me different or i possibly will go down the wolf man route at some point

I was debating whether or not to enable you Mike. I've decided against that and will opt for some profound words of wisdom instead.

You already own the tools that will give you a great shave. I was kindly loaned a Wolfman and it's a beautiful piece of kit but it didn't shave any better than my other razors. People like the exclusivity of them though and the effort put in to the razor by the artisan. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but don't be fooled in to thinking you're buying a better shave.

The question you're better off asking yourself is whether or not you wish to collect razors. This changes the buying intent.

I have a solid collection of modern and vintage and enjoy them all. Any razor I dislike is quickly moved on. I could pick any of the razors in my collection and solely shave with it but where's the fun in that?

I'm actually finished buying razors although i do intend to go down the vintage route.
I know a lot of people rate the Christopher Bradley & the Edwin Jagger DE 89 which is niggling away at me but i genuinely think i'm done on the modern front unless someone on here tells me different or i possibly will go down the wolf man route at some point

There are always going to be more razors/blades/soaps than one can feasibly ever own/try/acquire themselves, and I believe with good technique and the right razor & the right blade, with a good lather you'll get a great shave.

When it comes to the right razor, I think it's about finding the one for the amount of growth you, eg I wouldn't use a Gillette Tech/Voskhod for 2 weeks growth, or a Muhle R41/Feather for a day's growth.

I don't think there is one must have razor, but many great razors and it's about finding the ones which suit your needs the best.

There are always going to be more razors/blades/soaps than one can feasibly ever own/try/acquire themselves, and I believe with good technique and the right razor & the right blade, with a good lather you'll get a great shave.

When it comes to the right razor, I think it's about finding the one for the amount of growth you, eg I wouldn't use a Gillette Tech/Voskhod for 2 weeks growth, or a Muhle R41/Feather for a day's growth.

I don't think there is one must have razor, but many great razors and it's about finding the ones which suit your needs the best.
All razors shave, unless they're broken. But vintage is interesting. They have the look and feel and charisma that makes you want to pick them up and shave with them, and that makes a mundane task enjoyable.

A1912, along with many other vintage SE razors, will not clog unless you're shaving a gorilla, and yet will give you a sweet daily shave. Everyone who shaves should have at least one 1912.

For me, a Merkur 985C and a Feather AC-style razor.

Mild, open-comb and short handle are what I like in a DE. Easy to use and can tackle anything: short stubble, full beard, head-shaving.

My "Feather AC" is a cheap SS copy I bought to try out the 50mm blades. It's spectacularly good. Very forgiving and easy to shave with.

Depending how well I can learn to hone I might add a traditional straight to the list, one day. I definitely enjoy using them but there's probably more work involved in learning how to keep them sharp than there is in learning how to shave with them.

If you are lucky enough to have a birth year razor like a Fatboy then maybe yes! I love shaving with a razor as old as me, but then again I have a lot that are way older than me too. The problem with a "must have" is that doors get opened and money can easily flow out. I think ideally I would have one DE one SE one injector and a 300 straights, but then you get sucked into open comb or not, aggressive or not, new or old so you end up splitting DE into so many types that are "needed".

I have around 20 injectors and I rarely use them now. But they are nice and once upon a time they were must have for me.

Beware that having a must have will probably get expensive!

is there a razor i should have (that's) different from above.
Like you, I thought the same and was ‘happy' with my choice of razors for daily use and didn't really see the need to acquire anything else. But then I saw an odd little razor from Schick, a single edge injector from the 1950s and after a few glasses of Vino Collapso one evening found myself biding and winning this razor. I picked up some new blades for it and thought I'd use it once and then sell it on with the rest of the blades. No Sir, this is a keeper! There is something very different about the Schick compared to DE razors it's almost too easy to get right even without trying hard to get a decent result. I can happily use it every day and have done since it arrived. No irritation whatsoever no matter what.
I would say have a look at the Schick injector razors and see what you think.

Like you, I thought the same and was ‘happy' with my choice of razors for daily use and didn't really see the need to acquire anything else. But then I saw an odd little razor from Schick, a single edge injector from the 1950s and after a few glasses of Vino Collapso one evening found myself biding and winning this razor. I picked up some new blades for it and thought I'd use it once and then sell it on with the rest of the blades. No Sir, this is a keeper! There is something very different about the Schick compared to DE razors it's almost too easy to get right even without trying hard to get a decent result. I can happily use it every day and have done since it arrived. No irritation whatsoever no matter what.
I would say have a look at the Schick injector razors and see what you think.
Good a shout mate i'll certainly have a look

Back
Top Bottom