Karve Shaving Co. Overlander

Just had probably the smoothest shave ever from the Overlander, definitely considering selling off my polished Blackland Vector along with a lifetimes worth of AC blades and just keeping the Overlander; It is that good! So efficient and just buttery smooth even ATG.

Can not believe that I could not find a dedicated thread here for the Overlander, come on Overlander owners, would love to see your razors and how the patina has developed etc. or even if you had yours polished or replated?

Now to resist buying the stainless one!

overlander.jpg

Just had probably the smoothest shave ever from the Overlander, definitely considering selling off my polished Blackland Vector along with a lifetimes worth of AC blades and just keeping the Overlander; It is that good! So efficient and just buttery smooth even ATG.

Can not believe that I could not find a dedicated thread here for the Overlander, come on Overlander owners, would love to see your razors and how the patina has developed etc. or even if you had yours polished or replated?

Now to resist buying the stainless one!

overlander.jpg
Sotd-09-09-22.png

My aluminium Overlander. I received this razor on loan with an alu Lupo and ATT Windsor Pro from @Boycie83 in June. It never made it back and I bought it. I've barely used another razor since. The reason for the loan was I was looking to upgrade my 'daily razor' from an ATT aluminium with mild and normal plates and I thought the Windsor Pro would be 'the one.' Alas not - I hated it. It dragged terribly and left my face a mess for days. I enjoyed the Lupo - light and nimble but too assertive for everyday use. I had no expectation of the Overlander - mainly because I had never heard of it - but it was the stand out of the selection. I'm working on a long-term review of the razor at the moment. It's based on what Karve say in their blurb and design ethos - and how I have found that these claims stack up upon experience. Pretty good is the short answer. The single plate really does cover all the situations I have used it in - from a quick tidy-up to taking off a 7 plus day growth. I prefer aluminium as a material - light and cost effective. My Karve Bradley is the aluminium version. I can't use brass razors - I get this odd thing that when I touch an unfinished brass razor - or copper for that matter - I can taste it. I don't mean pick it up and then touch my lips for this to happen - just holding it gives me an unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth. Strange.

I'd agree with you though - the design deserves celebration - it is quietly very, very good. In my opinion.

cheers - I.

I got mine at Christmas as a gift from my wife. I wasn't sure what to expect tbh having read mixed reviews but was the only modern razor that has really caught my eye for some time. It's a real classy looker especially in brass once the initial shine dulls. I was quite surprised at how efficient it was with next to no blade feel on first use, however audibly you know its doing the job :) The only regret I've got is that I didnt buy the stand.

View attachment 97113

My aluminium Overlander. I received this razor on loan with an alu Lupo and ATT Windsor Pro from @Boycie83 in June. It never made it back and I bought it. I've barely used another razor since. The reason for the loan was I was looking to upgrade my 'daily razor' from an ATT aluminium with mild and normal plates and I thought the Windsor Pro would be 'the one.' Alas not - I hated it. It dragged terribly and left my face a mess for days. I enjoyed the Lupo - light and nimble but too assertive for everyday use. I had no expectation of the Overlander - mainly because I had never heard of it - but it was the stand out of the selection. I'm working on a long-term review of the razor at the moment. It's based on what Karve say in their blurb and design ethos - and how I have found that these claims stack up upon experience. Pretty good is the short answer. The single plate really does cover all the situations I have used it in - from a quick tidy-up to taking off a 7 plus day growth. I prefer aluminium as a material - light and cost effective. My Karve Bradley is the aluminium version. I can't use brass razors - I get this odd thing that when I touch an unfinished brass razor - or copper for that matter - I can taste it. I don't mean pick it up and then touch my lips for this to happen - just holding it gives me an unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth. Strange.

I'd agree with you though - the design deserves celebration - it is quietly very, very good. In my opinion.

cheers - I.
There is certainly a lot of love for this razor and I'm wondering how it differs from my SS Karve razor which I think is very good indeed.

Paul.

There is certainly a lot of love for this razor and I'm wondering how it differs from my SS Karve razor which I think is very good indeed.

Paul.
As said above P. - I'm working on a long term review of the Overlander but one thing that separates it from the Bradley immediately - I have the alu version of the latter - is the simple fact that there is only one base-plate for the Overlander. You just get on with it - as opposed to worrying about whether you should have gone a plate up or down, or an open comb? There be the path of madness. You just get on and shave - a whole level of anxiety removed. This is a good thing in my opinion. Cheers - I.

As said above P. - I'm working on a long term review of the Overlander but one thing that separates it from the Bradley immediately - I have the alu version of the latter - is the simple fact that there is only one base-plate for the Overlander. You just get on with it - as opposed to worrying about whether you should have gone a plate up or down, or an open comb? There be the path of madness. You just get on and shave - a whole level of anxiety removed. This is a good thing in my opinion. Cheers - I.
Ah, ok. What plate would you say the Overlander feels like? Out of all the plates I do prefer the C plate which I feel is right in the middle of the mild / assertive range.

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom