Kent BK4 Silvertip

It's Christmas day. All quiet. Why change my routine? Have a great day everyone.

This arrived yesterday. A gift from Kent Brushes for having 10 friends post my name on their Facebook pages. I'm not going to review it yet but others with experience of it may like to.

But I can say this. No brush company in the world matches the Kent packaging and presentation. Even the leaflet with it in several languages is a work of art! To illustrate, here's the pics for now:

DSC_1716.jpg

DSC_1717.jpg

DSC_1718.jpg

I also received one of these, and I'm not going to review it yet either. Although it says "pure badger" on the brush, it's so soft that I'm convinced that it's made from the fur of specially selected week-old super fluffy kittens.
Edit: I soaked it this morning and it smells of feral badger.

Is there only a limited amount being sent out?
Have i got a chance of grabbing one?
Be a nice upgrade from the Wilkinson Sword brush i got

Edit: No they gone. Never mind

1gear: I'm sure that you'll easily get a BK4. Here's a couple of links:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.secure-sales.org.uk/shavingshack/kent-bk4-silver-tip-badger-shaving-brush-white.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.secure-sales.org.uk/shaving ... white.html</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/kent-shaving-brush.html#a12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog ... h.html#a12</a><!-- m -->

Having started this off I thought I'd add my first impressions. I have used the BK4 several times now. I have real difficulty understanding the enthusiasm for this brush. It is highly rated in reviews, that's why I chose it as a prize. It is by far the softest and floppiest of my nine brushes I have tried. It is so floppy that it is practically impossible to lather with the tips using a circular motion. Even using a painting motion means that it is the sides rather than the tips that have contact with your face. It produces plenty of lather very quickly and has a luxurious feel on your face but I find the lack of any backbone or firmness a real problem. Perhaps it is because I have got so used to brushes which have more backbone. It may be with more use I will find a way of using it more effectively but for now, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. A real pity, because my BK8 is probably my favourite brush.

I'll add some more comments after a few more uses. Meanwhile, other users may give me some tips on how to overcome the issues I have with it.

Strange that it is in such contrast to the BK8, I have always wanted a BK8 and thought about going for a 4. I am glad you have mentioned this as I also like a bit of backbone to the brush.

Is there a difference in loft or any plausable reason for this difference?

I agree with your description Fido, but I really like mine. I was intending to use it for creams mostly, but it seems to be a real all round lather making machine, but maybe better suited to being used in a bowl. Hunnymonster has been using one for a long time, in fact it was his recommendation which decided me, so he'll probably have some useful comments when he passes this way.

It just goes to show how different we all are in our preferences. The BK4 is a much loved brush but in my opinion the BK8 is well worth the extra money.

The photos of the two Kent brushes may be of interest.

CIMG1075.jpg

CIMG1076.jpg

I've read a lot about this brush, and this post confirms that I don't want one.

My first brush was a floppy Vulfix and I used that for a while before getting a Rooney. I never looked back, and if a review even hints that a brush is floppy, I'm not interested.

Fido - you owe it to yourself to try a Rooney Heritage Stubby 2. Outrageous backbone, very, very dense, but very soft tips. I'm thinking of ditching all my badgers for this brush, simply awesome!

John

John

I intend to try a Rooney only when I see some evidence that they are still making their brushes in this country. They are being sold on that basis. There is virtually no communication from the owner of the company, their UK outlet never replies to emails. They simply don't deserve to stay in business as a UK brush maker if they are so secretive about their operations.

Fido has a point, if Rooney is selling under the guise of a UK retailer and it isn't then I think that might be illegal. I just think they can't be bothered. They make brushes for other retailers and they have a captive market courtesy of B&B in the U.S.

Either way I'd just wait till John ends up selling his ;) ...I must admit though I have been looking at this one myself, can't get the b***ers on B&B to send me a used one though.

Back
Top Bottom