Kindle

Blades said:
Nook out does the Kindle by a wide majority if features and has free books and it can browse local online libraries instead of physically going there..plus it's cheaper and in color

FrenchBlade said:
Blades said:
Kindle Nook is cheaper and sold more I believe

B

And absolutely no use if you're in the UK, except as a doorstop maybe..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.buynookuk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.buynookuk.com/</a><!-- m -->

Max

Which bit of "absolutely no use if you're in the UK" is ambiguous?"

Being restricted to buying US books from a US store is a disaster for anyone outside North America - means there are next to no "local" books and those that are there cost more.

A short précis of the situation regarding the Nook outside the US, in particular in the UK:

Here’s something I never thought I’d say. If you live in the UK, don’t buy Nook. When I was in America at the end of last year, I bought the Nook and it was the best e-reader I ever owned. That’s why I set up this site, I wanted to share my passion for this amazing new e-reader. I expected Barnes & Noble to have released Nook UK by now. But they haven’t.

Father Ted said:
call me old fashioned but i really cant see the joy in a "book" that needs batteries to work, you cant scribble notes in the margins or turn the corner of the page over.

All true, although adding notes would not be impossible, but you cannot (easily) take a thousand books with you on a trip (unless you go by very large RV or sea-going vessel) - you can easily do that with an e-book reader.

Oh and of course, get an iPad. It may not be the BEST e-book reader out there, but you get so much more than just an e-book reader ;-)

I believe there is a note section in the book for making notes, the reader remembers your last page so no need to turn pages and the battery last 1 month. Now thats cool.

All very interesting, thank you gentlemen. Since most of my chosen reading matter is likely to be out of copyright works in text form from Project Gutenberg it seems likely that the OS won't be a problem.

Father Ted said:
call me old fashioned but i really cant see the joy in a "book" that needs batteries to work, you cant scribble notes in the margins or turn the corner of the page over.

The joy in a book for me is what's contained in the words. The Kindle may miss the tactile experience of turning a page, or seeing the front cover of the book every time you pick it up, but for convenience it is fantastic.

As already pointed out you can make notes at any point in a Kindle "book" using the inbuilt keyboard and also take clippings from the text, the battery will last for months if the wireless connection is turned off as it then only uses power when turning a page and you can make unlimited bookmarks within a book (they even appear as little folded down corners on the page).

Does anyone know if there is an option with Kindle to turn off page numbers? I think I've mentioned this before but one thing I'd rather not know is when I'm getting to the end of a story. When I'm near the end of a book I am aware of the impending ending (good rhyme!) but would prefer it if it were a surprise. Sounds strange I know!

Good thread, you've all convinced me. My issue was always the 'feel of a good book' would be lost, but I also dis-like the clutter of loads of books.

I'd be interested in what 'free' resources where out there.

Ids said:
Good thread, you've all convinced me. My issue was always the 'feel of a good book' would be lost, but I also dis-like the clutter of loads of books.

All out of copyright books are available free. Many of the classics are available directly from the Amazon Kindle marketplace, for those not available, there are resources like Project Gutenberg. "Free" newer releases are probably available in the same sort of way as movies and music are, Calibre might help get them into the Kindle supported format.

Yellow Jim said:
Ids said:

All out of copyright books are available free. Many of the classics are available directly from the Amazon Kindle marketplace, for those not available, there are resources like Project Gutenberg. "Free" newer releases are probably available in the same sort of way as movies and music are, Calibre might help get them into the Kindle supported format.
I'm a lazy bugger so I download the free audio books from Librivox and let someone else do the reading for me :)

Yellow Jim said:
All out of copyright books are available free.

I think this probably needs qualification. All out of copyright books can be made available free, i.e. their content. Not all are, since it takes effort to actually make the content available. Project Gutenberg offers a lot of content, but certainly not all out of copyright books.

Also note that copyright exists on editions also. Even if a book was written in 1600, then a (legal) edition from 1950 is still covered by a copyright. If you want to make that book available outside copyright (such as in Project Gutenberg), you'll have to base yourself on an out-of-copyright edition. Same holds for music. Mozart horn concertos (to mention a completely random sample) are long out of copyright, but you cannot just take a modern sheet music edition an photocopy that to your heart's content. You'll have to find an old edition to prepare a 'free' version.

I can feel my 'gizmophilia' kicking in big time. I thought I'ld weaned myself off it - really, I don't even upgrade the mobile when it's free any more, unless there's a good reason. But now I feel that old familiar addiction.....it's so small.....it's so cute.......it could change my life for the better and fulfill all my dreams overnight.
I've read a load of reviews on Amazon, and of course gotten sidetracked by the ipad - or is that pod, and various other similar devices (don't all attack me at once Apple followers).
What I would like to know is can you read pdf documents reasonably easily on this, and can they be sent by email to this? Can you access email on it? And can you download from the internet and 'drag and drop' from the computer word docs and pdf docs; I'm thinking of either getting one for myself, of buying one for HWMOM's birthday in a couple of months. He is much more technologically ignorant than me (French Blade might not think that is possible, but it really is :lol: ). So many reviews talk about how you can get it to do stuff, if you're some sort of computer boffin; basically I know how to email and drag and drop.

Back
Top Bottom