Kindle

Too much so PC, and government consulation papers, and govt. guidance and proposals and latest legal cases; which he carries around in a rucksack that I can hardly lift. So I thought if there was a way to transfer it all onto a cute little kindle, it would save a lot of paper and save him carrying all this stuff around. Some of it can be downloaded in word, other would be pdf.

soapalchemist said:
Too much so PC, and government consulation papers, and govt. guidance and proposals and latest legal cases; which he carries around in a rucksack that I can hardly lift. So I thought if there was a way to transfer it all onto a cute little kindle, it would save a lot of paper and save him carrying all this stuff around. Some of it can be downloaded in word, other would be pdf.

Ah OK, sounds like he's probably read a few more books than me then!! I'm sure there must be a solution to this downloading problem thingy. Someone will come to your aid soon no doubt...

soapalchemist said:
I can feel my 'gizmophilia' kicking in big time. I thought I'ld weaned myself off it - really, I don't even upgrade the mobile when it's free any more, unless there's a good reason. But now I feel that old familiar addiction.....it's so small.....it's so cute.......it could change my life for the better and fulfill all my dreams overnight.
I've read a load of reviews on Amazon, and of course gotten sidetracked by the ipad - or is that pod, and various other similar devices (don't all attack me at once Apple followers).
What I would like to know is can you read pdf documents reasonably easily on this, and can they be sent by email to this? Can you access email on it? And can you download from the internet and 'drag and drop' from the computer word docs and pdf docs; I'm thinking of either getting one for myself, of buying one for HWMOM's birthday in a couple of months. He is much more technologically ignorant than me (French Blade might not think that is possible, but it really is :lol: ). So many reviews talk about how you can get it to do stuff, if you're some sort of computer boffin; basically I know how to email and drag and drop.

You can do all of those things with it. Email Word and pdf documents to it or connect it a PC and it is seen like a removable drive, so you can just copy stuff across to it.

PDFs are reasonably easy to read on it, you can either view them full screen or zoom in and scroll around. Mainly text based PDFs can be converted into the Kindle format quite easily. Amazon provide you with a Kindle email address and if you want something converted, you attach it to an email and send it to the address. Or you can use the Calibre program that I linked to earlier.

You can access web based emails and view websites on the Kindle although I haven't tried this myself yet.

One of the things I read on the reviews was that website access was 'experimental' and some said when they tried to access it their device died. Also problems with pdfs being difficult to read. I'm happy enough to link to a computer with a usb for downloads, so also wonder whether it's worth paying for the 3G - but would if online email works better that way. I know for a fact that I will never get wifi to work, don't know what the passwords and codes are, and soooooooo can't be doing with phoning these people (if I could ever find a phone number) and the waiting and the 'select 3' etc. etc. etc. only to eventually end up speaking to someone who never ever solves the problem.
An interesting thing I've noticed browsing the Amazon reviews, is the utterly vitriolic response meted out to many who give low ratings to the kindle. What's that about????Including inferences that if you aren't willing to read pages of online guidance, you're a fool. I'm of the generation where I compare computers and all other such devices to TVs; why on earth can't you expect to switch the thing on and expect it to work, without going and doing a degree in how to get the thing to work??
Sorry, I'm feeling extremely jaded by my experience of trying to get Google checkout to work, and the fact that they run that operation with zero customer support. I mean zero.

soapalchemist said:
I know for a fact that I will never get wifi to work, don't know what the passwords and codes are

If you have a Windows PC attached to the wireless network, it's trivial to find out the details for the connection... Download the application from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html</a><!-- m --> - run it and it'll tell you the names of all the WLAN connections stored on the PC, the security type (Open, WEP, WPA, WPA2) and the key :ugeek:

hunnymonster said:
WLAN connections stored on the PC, the security type (Open, WEP, WPA, WPA2) and the key :ugeek:

I know you're trying to be helpful Hunny, and I appreciate it......but what are those things you're talking about????? However, I've added the link to my (in this case, inappropriately called) 'favourites', and look forward to banging my head against a wall in between interludes of trying to work out what on earth that is all about.
Anyway, if I can plug the thing into the computer with a USB that's fine for most purposes; but I would like to be able to send those documents via email; and check my email also.
I know lots more knowledgable people will say that I should just get a tiny laptop; but the appeal of the kindle to me is 1. size 2. more comfortable to read screen 3. longer battery power - but most of that is pretty worthless without internet access - general as opposed to just downloading the books actually available - and as for reading a novel, if I can buy it from amazon for less including delivery than the kindle version, I think I'ld go for the real one. I know lots of old stuff is available for free, but I think I've read most of the old novels I want to read.
What struck me about the low ratings was that they were from people like me - people who don't understand technology, but who can use it when it works. I refuse to accept that I am a dinasaur just because I am not willing (not to mention not able :lol: ) to spend hours messing around trying to get things to do things that we expect these things to do.

Took the plunge and bought myself one.

I can recomend it to anyone. I have filled it up with a load of classics I meant to read and didn't get round to. Most of these are free to download.

Brilliant. :D

Back
Top Bottom