Kit of the Year 2022

What has been your kit of the year?

Maybe it's what you've used most. Perhaps something you discovered this year? Whatever you like, let's hear it ...

Me?

Well, my most used kit is the Gillette Fusion, seconded by the Wilkinson Sword Hydro but that's not really what I want to have stand out on a traditional shaving forum. Hey! At least I used soap and a brush!

Razor: Muhle Rocca < I can't keep putting 1912 year after year
Blade: Treet 7 Days Platinum < truly top-tier stuff hiding in quite ordinary, if not plebian packaging
Brush: DS Cosmetics Professional Handle with 26mm Synbad synthetic knot < pips the Cashmere, to me
Soap: T&H Sandalwood < really excellent new formulation ... again, can't keep putting MWF
Aftershave: Pitralon Classic < thanks to @mpf9ret's persistent use in SOTD I sourced a bottle and love it!
Wildcard: Stahly Live Blade < bought in after a decade ... mega-mild but super-smoothly capable
Attar: Swiss Arabian Sandalia < relaxing, soothing sandalwood and ... little else

Disappointment of the year goes to Trumpers. Despite reformulating their hard soaps (again?) they still can't get whoever it is to formulate an actual shaving soap for them. Funny, coz they use the same folks that T&H do ... and their soap is (now) fine. "We've had no complaints ..." yeah, right!

Most memorable has been with some vintage kit, especially vintage Wilkinson Sword blades in a Wilkinson Sword Sticky. Thanks @Mike Smart for that experience.

Last edited:
Great idea but quite difficult to do.

Razor: Blackland Vector. Expensive but it was a treat to myself. Absolutely faultless shave.
Blade: Feather pro guard.
Brush: DS Cosmetics Kensurfs synthetic although I am on a boar brush kick.
Soap: This is a tough one. I’m enjoying cheap sticks at the moment but it’s probably anything by Southern Witchcrafts.
Aftershave: Southern Witchcrafts.
Wildcard: Captains Choice copper bowl.

Disappointment of the year is Ariana and Evans soap, I think they forgot the smell.

Most memorable is the journey of making the switch to SE shaving, it was a winding road but we got there.

I’m going to go with the following
Razor: Shield Avenger AC. I’ve been lusting after a Vector for a year or more and though I hold it in equal esteem the Shield is Titanium, well made, gives just as good results for significantly less. Both were real treats to myself and bolstered my AC collection.
Blade: Feather pro guard. Of all the blades I’ve tried this seems to still be my go too for now despite its price.
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn with a G5C knot. Still my go to brush, I love its handle feel and knot. I still need to grab another in the new year @Gairdner
Soap: Hmm this is a toss up between Sea Spiced Lime, Noble Otter Rawr and the newcomer HC&C scentless with oils. I think the new HC&C just pips it to the post for ease of lathering and all the possible scents you can get. It’s a real undiscovered gem over here in the UK.
Aftershave: Noble Otter Rawr. Everyone who smells it loves it.

Balm and preshave: Both go to @BartsBalm and their excellent offerings. It’s my go to to sooth any post shave burn when I’ve got too close with my shave.

Special mentions: I still love A&E and PAA which I know a lot of people don’t but I’ve not had many new soaps from them this year.
Signature Soaps have my heart for their lime scent and just general excellence too.

Razor: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Ascension (in stainless steel)
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum
Brush: APShave Co. with a 30mm G5C knot
Soap: Folk Soaps hard puck
Aftershave: Boldking aftershave cream - though I don't use aftershaves much but this one was fairly soothing the few times I felt the need.
Wildcard: Toss-up between PAA META-4 and Henson Al13+++ (leaning somewhat toward the META-4).

Disappointment of the year: Herba Drug changed the formula of Barbus Classic for the worse (started adding an EDTA salt, so I can't use the new stuff anymore), changed its packaging and bumped up the price (it's still a relatively inexpensive soap, though).

Most memorable: Discovered I'd been underhydrating some soaps. Also found a two small UK soap makers on Etsy who happen to produce very nice shaving soap (they are "Folk Soaps" and "Seaside Soap & Skincare").

Razor: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Ascension (in stainless steel)
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum
Brush: APShave Co. with a 30mm G5C knot
Soap: Folk Soaps hard puck
Aftershave: Boldking aftershave cream - though I don't use aftershaves much but this one was fairly soothing the few times I felt the need.
Wildcard: Toss-up between PAA META-4 and Henson Al13+++ (leaning somewhat toward the META-4).

Disappointment of the year: Herba Drug changed the formula of Barbus Classic for the worse (started adding an EDTA salt, so I can't use the new stuff anymore), changed its packaging and bumped up the price (it's still a relatively inexpensive soap, though).

Most memorable: Discovered I'd been underhydrating some soaps. Also found a two small UK soap makers on Etsy who happen to produce very nice shaving soap (they are "Folk Soaps" and "Seaside Soap & Skincare").
I’d add my biggest surprise of the year is I actually do get on with OC razors! This is mainly down to going through a variety kindly lent by @slapo. He’s almost single-handedly created my top purchases for next year list!
1) Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Ascension
2) Almost any of the Stando razors I had the pleasure to use
3) Aylsworth Drakkant.

Soap: T&H Sandalwood < really excellent new formulation ... again, can't keep putting MWF

Disappointment of the year goes to Trumpers. Despite reformulating their hard soaps (again?) they still can't get whoever it is to formulate an actual shaving soap for them. Funny, coz they use the same folks that T&H do ... and their soap is (now) fine. "We've had no complaints ..." yeah, right!
How do you know the soap has been reformulated? I have wondered if DR Harris also use the same manufacturing for their soaps (and Creams) and Trumpers and T&H). I was always led to believe it's creightons. Many seem to get on OK with DRH soap.

How do you know the soap has been reformulated? I have wondered if DR Harris also use the same manufacturing for their soaps (and Creams) and Trumpers and T&H). I was always led to believe it's creightons. Many seem to get on OK with DRH soap.
... because it has a different list of ingredients now.

The same formula (well, same ingredient list) as T&H is used by Trumpers for Officer & Gentleman and Oxford Blue; very similar also is TOBS Traditional. Alas, Trumpers other hard soaps are a different new(er) formulation as still don't lather. DR Harris is a different formula again and shares the same ingredient set with Cyril R Salter. Agreed! DR Harris is a sound formula and a great hard soap.

I've had a few fallow years for shaving and buying new gear but I seem to have found some new energy for the hobby fo now at least, but the urge to grow a beard is always lurking around the corner so I will enjoy it whilst it lasts!

Razor - Personna Star DE Razor
Blade - Gillette 365
Brush - Omega 10075
Soap - Hamphire Wool Fat
AS - Old Spice
Wild Card - La Rive Brutal Classic
Disappointment of the Year - European/US retailers with ridiculous shipping prices or not posting to the UK at all.
Special Mention - discovering MakeUp.uk! What a treasure trove of great Eastern European shaving delights!

Razors Come And Go, But TSR Friends Are Forever. Below is my favourite kit for 2022.

Razor: Karve Brass Overlander
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows
Brush: Alpha Outlaw with APShaveCo 2BED Synthetic knot
Soap: Mammoth Hygge
AS: Speick Men After Shave Lotion

Highlight of the year: The Overlander! I was put off by the "hype" online and thought all the glowing reviews were overdone for the latest and newest razor on the block. However I can say that they were all correct! Super smooth, great machining (as always), did I say smooooth!

Heres to 2023! and the curing of my RAD.
TSR, truly the finest shaving forum, you guys all make TSR the incredible place that it is!

Crypto Dex GIF by 1inch

Tricky one.
I acquired 2 particularly good razors in 22. My NOS 1964 Gillette Slim is a wonderful bit of kit that I thoroughly enjoy using and am proud to own. I also acquired a Razorock Hawk V3 and the A plate. OK so it's maybe not as 'collectible' as the Slim but it's a lovely piece of stainless steel that makes me understand why people are into AC-SE shaves. The Yaqi Excalibur was my enabling bridge into AC-SE but the Hawk was me getting both feet in the door.

Soap? I just had to check my DMs but Scorpio sold me Gothic Revival soap and balm in February of this year and whilst I make no claims about its performance vis a vis any others, it is every bit as all the Wickham fans said, and the scent is my favourite of all so far.

I'm not a blade connoisseur in the way some of you are, you must have eyes in your cheeks or something! But I think Kai Captain pink are my favourite, just pipping Feather Pro to the top of my AC chart (it's a small chart!) and I think GSB gets my vote for DE, although there are so many I haven't tried yet, such as Treet 7 Days.

Brush, obviously the Rubberset 400, sure it's a super cool handle but the Oumo knot in it is super and seemed to need little break in at all.

Well I tend to stick to the same items nowadays. However, the Fatip Testine Gentile was a revelation. The Wilkinson Sword Hydro Comfort Skin Reset, aka stubble eraser, was also a great addition. Soap and cream wise, Murdock London's Regent cream is the highlight.

Last edited:
I’ve written a long-winded pile of shite as usual so just skip on by…

Razor: my Gillette #58, it has a nice story behind it and the original plating is perfect, the operation smooth and it’s a classy wee chap. Highly honourable mention to my Gillette Aristocrat #16, 3rd generation (There’s 4) - this is the heaviest of the non-adjustable Gillette TTOs but by no means weighty by modern standards. A great experience buying it from a member here also.

Blade: it’s been a great year for trying out new DE blades that I somehow never got round to and @pjgh was a mine of information and recommendations. The Personna Platinum Chrome, Lord Silver Stars, Treet Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux and the only Russian, the Gillette Nacet have all impressed highly. Just one? Fight!

Brush: the very first handle I carved from local Ash wood and knotted with an Omega boar. The boar knot fell out after nearly ten years of hard use so I took a punt on popping in a 26mm AP Shave Co. Cashmere set fairly deep. It’s been fantastic.

Soap/Cream: it’s no secret that I love Signature Soaps wares as well as Wickham’s and P&B (Spitfire! What a scent) but these days my pocket is more restricted so I’m going for Cyril R Salter hard tallow soap. Cheap, UK-made and so easy to whip up a great protective lather that my face loves. Trumper’s Spanish Leather cream deserves a mention as it is fantastic when used in conjunction with their skin food as a pre/post. I’m also looking forward to trying out Culmak’s hard cake offering.

Aftershave: I discovered Puig Quorum after reading the forum and being on the lookout for an affordable, manly, woody scent. Loved it. I also took a punt on Proraso Red which I also thoroughly enjoyed. Benjamin’s Bay Rum will probably always be a staple of mine as it’s so cheap yet smells great and does it’s job well but the nod must go to good old Boot’s Freshwood AS. Old school, unsophisticated yet masculine scent and really rather good on the old physog. Scent doesn’t last long which is good as you can pair almost any EdT or the like with it.

Cologne/EdT: an old favourite of mine is TOBS Mr Taylor’s but alas, Matron isn’t too keen although she liked GFT Spanish Leather as I very much did. Essence Vault’s dupe of Tom Ford’s Tobacco Vanille is lovely, long lasting and rather luxurious. P&B’s unique Spitfire must get a mention too but the stink that really blew me away and garnered several compliments was D R Harris Windsor EdT.

Biggest disappointment: Ingram or rather Non-gram. No menthol? In my best Peter Kay, “Wassallthatabout?” Grrr, grrr and double grrr. Three Pears = Three Stooges. Game over.

Other nods: Seaside Soap & Skincare’s Pine, Vetiver & Patchouli shaving soap, my trusty EJ DE86, MWF of Fat fame, Lord Platinum blades, RazoRock Gamechanger .68 but I'm really vintage fecker.

Favourite TSR member: @hotmetal aka hotmeal and not just for you know what. ;)

Next Years Resolution: to become one with the use of straight razors, make a few strops and have my 3 vintage Sheffield beasties made shave ready and perhaps with new clothes too; we’ll see.

You read all of this? You’re almost as daft as me! :LOL:

Blade: it’s been a great year for trying out new DE blades that I somehow never got round to and @pjgh was a mine of information and recommendations. The Personna Platinum Chrome, Lord Silver Stars, Treet Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux and the only Russian, the Gillette Nacet have all impressed highly. Just one? Fight!

Easy! Treet Platinum.

Oh, and Three Pears picked up Eden Classics (formerly Dana?), so Mandate and Rapport are now theirs. I don't think there's been a reformulation, so still the great, old (retro) scent. Rapport has become my go-to post-fencing deodorant as the muskiness mixes with the sweat and adrenaline much better than a simple drown out everything Pinaud Lilac Veg chemical bomb!

As for Ingrams. Well, they Harry Kaned it. One job to do and they f***ed it.

My razor of the year although only brought recently has to be my Schick Type F injector razor, in my eyes a beautiful razor and one that does a fine job of removing stubble and leaving me with super smooth skin.

I suppose the Schick injector blade (Japanese) that I use in the above razor has to be blade of the year.

Nearly all of my shaving gear is in storage so I recently brought a puck of MWF to get reacquainted with this wonderful soap and it was as good if not better than I remembered, so MWF has to be my soap of the year.

My brush of the year for me would have to be my Alpha Bulldog silvertip, 28mm I believe and brought from the emporium, cheers Chris!

Frag of the year must go to an old favourite YSL Kouros, wonderful stuff!

Member of the year, well that has to go to all of you because without you all we would not have TSR as we know it!

The year is nearly over, but whatever is happening in the world TSR will always be a constant and I hope to see all of you fine members next year.
Enjoy what's left of this year but let's be safe out there! :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom