Kit of the Year 2022

It has been a strange year. I have received 2 razors of note:

Tedalus Essence (Retirement Gift)
Blackbird Era

My brush discoveries have been the Wild Hog and Boti Boar Knots

Soaps....I have been reverting to old traditional over the counter stuff. Culmac, Erasmic, D R Harris C R Salter and MWF plus traditional Italian Croaps. I am afraid that Artisan soaps no longer interest me for future purchases.

My main focus has been finding non Russian DE Blades. I won't use them.....even the ones I already own. A New Year PIF is imminent!.
Treet, and Dorco have come to the rescue.

A bit of a 'baah' humbug post for me.....but that that's the way it is!

My brush discoveries have been the Wild Hog and Boti Boar Knots

My main focus has been finding non Russian DE Blades. I won't use them.....even the ones I already own. A New Year PIF is imminent!.
Treet, and Dorco have come to the rescue.

I've been using some non Russian blades as well, I've found a few alternatives which surprised me, the humble Gillette 365 being one! IMO, it seems to perform quite close to a Russian Gillette blade.

Also, the Wild Hog is a superb brush.

Soaps....I have been reverting to old traditional over the counter stuff. Culmac, Erasmic, D R Harris C R Salter and MWF plus traditional Italian Croaps. I am afraid that Artisan soaps no longer interest me for future purchases.

I've never really got into the 'artisan' shaving soaps (aside from Signature Soaps), my thing was always tallow shaving sticks, but since the German ones have been discontinued I've been thinking about branching out and trying a few 'artisan' shaving soaps, but then I remember anything with half a scent seems to make my face burn!

What are the Italian croaps you have enjoyed using?

I've never really got into the 'artisan' shaving soaps (aside from Signature Soaps), my thing was always tallow shaving sticks, but since the German ones have been discontinued I've been thinking about branching out and trying a few 'artisan' shaving soaps, but then I remember anything with half a scent seems to make my face burn!

What are the Italian croaps you have enjoyed using?
Considering you restrictions/preferences.....I would go with the TFS barber block, Vitos Green/red or 3P

Here's my list:

Razor: Karve CB B plate. I did acquired fee razors this year but none of them can move Karve from the throne.

Blade: Gillette nacet. Most used blade this year as it provides great results in almost every razor I tried it. Sharp, smooooth and long lasting. What more one could ask for?

Brush: it has to be my own Highlander copper with plisoft knot.

Shaving soap: phoenix and beau. Most used shaving soap this year always providing superb performance.

Aftershave splash: dendi pure. Unscented alcohol splash made by soapmaker from Serbia which I use almost exclusively.

Perfume: Prada Amber pour homme intense. Although acquired recently this one quickly became one of the favourites. Just snatched two decant bottles to have for this season and already looking forward to buy whole bottle.

Disappointment of the year: Ariana and Evans Turkish coffee. Bad burn from the soap as I didn't ever experienced before. Gave it to my colleague who almost stopped at half of the shave because it burned him also.

Having embraced the shaven dome look earlier this year I have to say that the Leaf Razor is absolutely superb, I sometimes mean to switch razors for head shaving then think why bother as the Leaf beats anything hands down.

Brush wise I’ve managed to snag a few unused Kent badgers, I think the BK4 is my all time favourite.

I haven’t actually bought any new soaps/creams this year as I’ve been trying to use up some that I wont replace. I like to support British soapmakers and have TOBS Sandalwood soap and Castle Forbes 1445 incoming. I will also be ordering some Signature Soaps after Christmas due to the rave reviews they get on here.

DE blade of choice is Astra SP, I bought a shed load as they seem to suit my skin and are a good price. AC choice is the Schick Proline.

Aftershaves are a tie between Barts Unscented Balm and Hawkins & Brimble Balm, both excellent. H&B for the colder months and Bart’s for when I want something a little lighter.

Looking to next year I think I’ll be limiting my purchases to British soaps, creams and fragrances. I think the way things are at the minute our workers and companies need our support so my money will go to them.

I've been giving some thought to this over the past week. Here are my nominations:

DE Razor: Tatara Muramasa - this razor has swung in at the 11th hour to steal the '22 DE crown.
SE Razor: Nickel Plated Stando Rod SE - One of a kind and performs amazingly.
Badger Brush: Simpson CH2 SiLVERTiP - I picked this up from @jphelan81 and it was my first proper Chubby. Previous CH2 synthetic doesn't count. Love it and it led me down a Chubby rabbit hole. I now have pretty much every Chubby type across 1-3. I know, I need to get a life - see my restraint thread.
Synthetic Brush: Highlander brushes - my chubbies in particular. Gile is a true gentleman and he has made me some unique brushes that I love. I never got on particularly well with the Simpson synthetics. Now I have some Chubby-esque synthetics that complete the collection.
Soap: I've been enjoying the Barrister and Mann soaps lately. Nicely scented and great performance. Not the usual face melting American efforts. My favourite is a tie between Seville and Le Grand Chypre.
Scent: Chanel Pour Monsieur - I feel like a prince when I wear this.
DE Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (GSB)
SE Blade: Kai Titan Mild Pink

Back
Top Bottom