Le Tour 2013

My expert on Lymington Market (137th in his recent Channel Island race) reckons Cadel Evans will win this year. Froome thinks there are several contenders. I haven't a clue if anyone is capable of seeing off Sky's main man and luck will play its part but I'm looking forward to the race as usual.

My Dad has been a cycling fanatic for almost 60 years now but, for him, it's been spoilt since Lance Armstrong and the uncovering of years of systematic dope cheating.

I'll still watch it, but it has been tainted IMHO.

Anybody interested in the cycling/drugs area should read David Millar's book if they haven't already. It's a very good book indeed.

I suspect he wouldn't agree with me, but I'm not the least bit bothered about the history of drugs in cycling, because - perhaps to a greater extent than any other sport - it didn't make a difference; everyone, pretty much literally, was doing it. When the difference between clean hero and dirty cheat is which side of an arbitrary line the copious supplements they used sat, it's a little weird.

Fido said:
Looking good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22834186

Roll on 29 June.
Cant wait for Le Tour this year. The front runners will be Froome, Contador, Van Garderen and Evans

Armed with my Tour race guide I'm ready for the start tomorrow.

Slipped up a bit this year. Will be away most of next week but I will find a way of following the key matches at Wimbledon and Le Tour. My dear Ruth knows there is no break from following the major sports wherever we are. Also out with friends on the first day of The Ashes. The iPhone will have to do.

I will be glued to the screen over the coming weeks (when allowed!)
I do hope Froome comes good, he could have won it last year I think.

Looking forward to the awesome 'Cav' sprints with Greipel hopefully tomorrow will produce a good sprint finish.
I also hope that the tour isn't won on the time trials. Can Contador come back and win...I don't think so.
I really wanted to see Nibali ride the tour this year, but we'll have to wait for him until next year.
Cadel Evans...not for me.

So, who's going to win the tour, Froome of course...as long as he doesn't fall off!

Who's going to win the British GP? :D

Yeah, bit of a shambles with the bus stuck under the finishing line & after the crash I suppose they didn't really care as they would all be handed the same finishing time.

Disappointing but a long way to go.

What an excellent ride by Valentino Rossi, I raised a fist in the air :D

I thought Cav asked a very good question (on twitter) - if the stage was broken rfbooth for everybody to get the same time, as it was, how come the points weren't zeroed too? Is it only GC that matters?

I guess the race begins today :)
Earlier in the week Froome stretched his legs on a climb and looked ready for it.
The top sprinters have shared the spoils so far, more to come from them.

Come on Froome!!

I can't believe Froome isn't getting more credit for what he achieved today, Movistar piled on the pressure as a team all day long on 4 category 1 climbs, and he survived it without a single team member to help.
Kelly and his mate on Eurostar were waxing lyrical for about 2 hours about how disastrous it was that he was alone, how much he was suffering, who would be wearing yellow tonight, what the margin would be, how Sky had collapsed, gone in yellow too early etc. When Froome crossed the line along with Valverde, Quintana and everyone else in navy blue who had hammered him all day it hardly raised a mention. It's like (for example) Beckham getting a draw against an 8 man Spain alone, I'm pretty sure that would have got more media coverage! Heroic effort, probably an even better ride than yesterday when he took yellow.

Back
Top Bottom