London 2012

I got quite emotional watching my mate Ben starting the Olympic torch on it's way. ( Well, I have at least chatted to him in my Lymington Coffee Shop) I dread to think how I'll feel sitting in the Olympic Stadium on 11 August and when I see the fireworks going off over the Thames when it's all over.

Not long now.

And don't anyone say it's waste of money.

Yep, it's no long at all.

We have a chap from work that's doing the torch thing too. He's doing it in Coventry, the home of the London taxi believe it or not!

I am looking out of my office window right now, across Hackney Marshes in the distance I can see the stadium. I see that view all the time and just wish I had got a ticket to sit in that stadium and watch some of the events.
I applied for £1700 of tickets and received zero.
I am angry!

But, working for one of the host boroughs (Waste Management) I am heavily involved with getting our staff and facilities ready for the Olympics and the Radio 1 "Big Weekend" next month.
I have had the opportunity to look behind the scenes of the Olympic Park and we have complimentary tickets for the Radio 1 event (I am responsible for cleaning Jessie J's changing room:D)

The Olympic Park is spectacular, they have done a great job of cleaning up the River Lea & surrounding areas and would recommend applying for the Park Entrance tickets that are going on sale now. They will have big screens around the park so you will be able to see the events and take in some of the atmosphere.
A little tip...From the top of the Orbit Tower in the Olympic Park you can see the running track;)

Looking forward to the next few months even with the ammount of work coming our way!

It will be worth every penny:)

Dr Rick said:
Fido said:

Why on earth not?

Because the time to debate that is past. Or it can discussed again in the future. Now's the time just to accept it and let the fun and enjoyment begin.

jaycey said:
I am looking out of my office window right now, across Hackney Marshes in the distance I can see the stadium. I see that view all the time and just wish I had got a ticket to sit in that stadium and watch some of the events.
I am angry!

But, working for one of the host boroughs (Waste Management) I am heavily involved with getting our staff and facilities ready for the Olympics and the Radio 1 "Big Weekend" next month.
I have had the opportunity to look behind the scenes of the Olympic Park and we have complimentary tickets for the Radio 1 event (I am responsible for cleaning Jessie J's changing room:D)

The Olympic Park is spectacular, they have done a great job of cleaning up the River Lea & surrounding areas and would recommend applying for the Park Entrance tickets that are going on sale now. They will have big screens around the park so you will be able to see the events and take in some of the atmosphere.
A little tip...From the top of the Orbit Tower in the Olympic Park you can see the running track;)

Looking forward to the next few months even with the ammount of work coming our way!

Can I tap your local knowledge?

I'll travel up from the New Forest by train on the Saturday morning of 11 August. I'll go into Waterloo and spend some time in the West End before going to the Olympic Stadium - event starts at 6.45 pm. Which will be the best underground to aim for in the afternoon? And then what will be the best way back to Waterloo after it's all over some time after 10 pm?

Re: RE: London 2012

Fido said:
Because the time to debate that is past. Or it can discussed again in the future. Now's the time just to accept it and let the fun and enjoyment begin.

You are, of course, entitled to that opinion. I certainly don't share it.

Fido said:
Dr Rick said:
Fido said:

Why on earth not?

jaycey said:
I am angry!

Can I tap your local knowledge?

I'll travel up from the New Forest by train on the Saturday morning of 11 August. I'll go into Waterloo and spend some time in the West End before going to the Olympic Stadium - event starts at 6.45 pm. Which will be the best underground to aim for in the afternoon? And then what will be the best way back to Waterloo after it's all over some time after 10 pm?

Stratford is the station to head for and there is a direct tube back to Waterloo (Jubilee Line)
It's going to be very busy though so be ready for the pushing & shoving!

If you get to Stratford early enough and fancy drink and/or bite to eat I really recomend this place http://www.formans.co.uk/ you dont have to book to use the bar and they do bar food platters that are delicious! Spectacular location.

I am very jealous now:(

I'll be glad when it actually starts. Perhaps the sport aspect of it might take my mind off the fact that there's nothing else good coming from it.

Ian

I'm not a sports fan but I see the Olympics as an opportunity rather than liability, I was listening to the radio the other day and some person was banging on about the cost and how nobody was interested in it.......

My 1st thoughts were if nobody is interested why were the tickets so vastly over subscribed!

While there may be a cost it should be remembered that the construction and benefit to ancillary industries have provided employment for many people and thus aided the flow of money around an already deeply depressed sector of the economy.

When the games get here, there will be foreign visitors and domestic visitors to the games all spending money. Suppliers from around the country will provide goods and services to the event, hotels, local authorities and other ancillary businesses, and after the event the stadium will be used by whoever finally buys it. There should be an increase in employment with those both directly and indirectly involved, increasing the tax take and reducing the welfare bill during the time.

When people moan about the cost they need to balance that up against all the economic activity which is being created and the effects that the lack of activity would cause too in the current economic conditions.

Lastly IMO it is a tremendous honour that we are hosting the games and we should be proud that it is here, alas so few people are proud of what Britain can do these days as we become a nation of naysayers.

Jeltz said:
I'm not a sports fan but I see the Olympics as an opportunity rather than liability, I was listening to the radio the other day and some person was banging on about the cost and how nobody was interested in it.......

My 1st thoughts were if nobody is interested why were the tickets so vastly over subscribed!

While there may be a cost it should be remembered that the construction and benefit to ancillary industries have provided employment for many people and thus aided the flow of money around an already deeply depressed sector of the economy.

When the games get here, there will be foreign visitors and domestic visitors to the games all spending money. Suppliers from around the country will provide goods and services to the event, hotels, local authorities and other ancillary businesses, and after the event the stadium will be used by whoever finally buys it. There should be an increase in employment with those both directly and indirectly involved, increasing the tax take and reducing the welfare bill during the time.

When people moan about the cost they need to balance that up against all the economic activity which is being created and the effects that the lack of activity would cause too in the current economic conditions.

Lastly IMO it is a tremendous honour that we are hosting the games and we should be proud that it is here, alas so few people are proud of what Britain can do these days as we become a nation of naysayers.

Well said!

I've got tickets. First morning of the athletics and women's diving heats in the afternoon. Bloody expensive, but once in a lifetime.

Re: RE: London 2012

jonno40 said:
The torch passes less than a mile from my house next Saturday and I for one will be shouting and cheering with the best of em as it goes past :)

A week Sunday for us

Back
Top Bottom