London 2012

texaspete said:
I'm usually a little cynical when it comes to these sort of things but have to say last nights ceremony was amazing. Very well done, apart from perhaps the weird NHS propaganda stuff!

Strangely enough i also thought that was rather bizzare, even though most Brit's would understand it, the rest of the world would have probably been totally baffled by the whole NHS thing.

Jamie.

Presumably each nation's TV feed would have well briefed presenters? But even if they didn't understand the significance, the spectacle, movement, sound and choreography was something special.

Hokey and a little bit twee, more a retrospective of good times past and present rather than a prospectus for potential or a way forward.

I liked some elements and didn't like others especially Macca who should really be stuffed and mounted preferably with his own vegan sausages.

Big.Dave said:
The things we have created in this country have touched the lives of everyone on the planet not bad for a small Island.

Can we take it that you are talking about the rose tinted version of British history as portrayed last night and ignoring the atrocities of Empire? That bit seemed to get left out - as did the poverty to be found very close by the Olympic Stadium while they were blowing £40,000,000 on an opening ceremony.

Bechet45 said:
Big.Dave said:
The things we have created in this country have touched the lives of everyone on the planet not bad for a small Island.

Can we take it that you are talking about the rose tinted version of British history as portrayed last night and ignoring the atrocities of Empire? That bit seemed to get left out - as did the poverty to be found very close by the Olympic Stadium while they were blowing £40,000,000 on an opening ceremony.

Could the opening ceremony really have shown chaps in pith helmets kicking chaps from India or Malaysia in the head, though?:angel:

Oh...and while the US and Italian teams are dressed by Ralph Lauren and Armani, the GB team looked like a load of bad Jimmy Savile impersonators.

I understand NEXT provided the kit, a shockingly poor decision considering London is the home of fine tailoring.

antdad said:
Oh...and while the US and Italian teams are dressed by Ralph Lauren and Armani, the GB team looked like a load of bad Jimmy Savile impersonators.

I understand NEXT provided the kit, a shockingly poor decision considering London is the home of fine tailoring.

I thought the US team looked almost as tacky as our team did.

Bechet45 said:

Poverty is in the heads. Do you think had they given this money to those poorer east enders their lives would've changed dramatically? Most would've probably gotten a new plasma and a keg of beer. Opportunities are always there for those that seek them.

Anyway, back to the topic - that was pretty good, although I didn't entirely like the sitcom bit. NHS put up a really good show, nice swinging too.

P.S. Agree with AD about the outfits. Really liked Jamaican team though :)

P.P.S. anyone knows what was the thing with a guy throwing nazi salute to the German team?

Well I thought it was fantastic. There were aspects in there which GB is renown for. The NHS is known around the world so I doubt people would have been baffled. 007 and Mr Bean are also internationally known. Loved the references to famous British books and films and I heard the sound of "The Tardis" at one point but that was the only Doctor Who reference which would have been the only other thing I expected but didn't see.

Bechet45 said:
Big.Dave said:

We thoroughly enjoyed it apart from Macca, he gets bloody everywhere and it should have been either Zeppelin or The Stones.

Rose tinted, we were neither the first nor last with regards to everything that remark entails.

The NHS bit would be understood by everyone around the world, well they should seeing as though everyone seems to come over here a ponce treatment on the free.

Cost wise i totally agree, but then i would have spent more on it and the surrounding area and taken it out of the 7Billion plus in foreign we will give away this year.

Looking forward now to watching the games and going to work to relieve the tourists of the Queens Stirling. God bless them and everyone that hails me down.

chrisbell said:
antdad said:

I thought the US team looked almost as tacky as our team did.

At least the prep look for the US team is authentic, it isn't my thing either but it's better than a hoody and really bad bling.

Helveticum said:
Bechet45 said:

Poverty is in the heads. Do you think had they given this money to those poorer east enders their lives would've changed dramatically? Most would've probably gotten a new plasma and a keg of beer. Opportunities are always there for those that seek them.

Anyway, back to the topic - that was pretty good, although I didn't entirely like the sitcom bit. NHS put up a really good show, nice swinging too.

P.S. Agree with AD about the outfits. Really liked Jamaican team though :)

P.P.S. anyone knows what was the thing with a guy throwing nazi salute to the German team?

Wrong arm, but even i had a double take on that one.

RB73 said:
Helveticum said:

Wrong arm, but even i had a double take on that one.

I'm glad someone else spotted that! I noticed even the commentary/presenting team were stunned into silence by that - real pregnant pause as it seemed that none of them knew whether to comment on it or say something else to distract attention from it.

I'd be interested to know what some of our American members thought of it - apparently, NBC cut the tribute the the victims of 7/7, replacing it with an interview of Michael Phelps. Presumably they forgot that many different nationalities were represented amongst the victims, or they felt that, politically, they couldn't admit that it happened?

Wandering through Lymington market today I earwigged several conversations about last night. Old and young, all the comments were entirely positive. Seems there are more cynics in the cyberworld. Truly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just passing time as I keep an eye on the road race.

Fido said:
Wandering through Lymington market today I earwigged several conversations about last night. Old and young, all the comments were entirely positive. Seems there are more cynics in the cyberworld. Truly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just passing time as I keep an eye on the road race.

What channel is showing the road race? I am at work but will have access to a TV in a min;)

Was a great show last night, had to go to bed when the Athletes from the 'C' countries came out as I had to be up @ 4am:(

Back
Top Bottom