Looking for a new post-shave

Yes. I've used Weleda a/s balm on & off for years & am currently using the Speick a/s splash. I would use the Weleda a/s water if I could just get hold of it! Speick is the closest I could get to 'user friendly'. They do a very,very good shave stick.
Thanks...good to know!
My revised approach so far I think will involve isolating all of my AS that contains Yellow5 and or 6 and other strong dyes for very infrequent use. Unfortunately Proraso Green, Floid and Clubman splashes are all in my favourites list, so I don't want to dump them. I will be dumping some that I don't particularly like though.
I'm going to double check the clear/un-dyed splashes for ingredients as well...but they will get moved to the front of the queue. In terms of balms, Nivea for Men and Proraso Green look ok (though I have no idea of some of their ingredients).
Overall, it looks like my new routine will mostly be Proraso Green pre-shave, witch hazel splash, Fine or similar AS splash (including Speick which I also have and like) and Proraso/Nivea balm) with very use of the other splashes.:)

Just been looking into the 'Yellow 5' thing a bit more...it's actually the approved form of Tartrazine and the US drug admin peeps rules say that only Yellow 5 can be used, not Tartrazine itself , which has not specifically been approved. it's a little more comforting I guess.

Just been looking into the 'Yellow 5' thing a bit more...it's actually the approved form of Tartrazine and the US drug admin peeps rules say that only Yellow 5 can be used, not Tartrazine itself , which has not specifically been approved. it's a little more comforting I guess.
It is & hopefully the producers of these products are honest about the ingredients they put into them...:confused:

This week I have been using a new (to me) balm called Rockface All Weather Moisturiser, I saw it on offer at my local Tesco for £2.50 from £4.00

Very nice stuff, not tacky or sticky and lightly scented. If anything I would say I prefer it to my usual balm of Nivea.

My favourite post shave is La Toja balm and splash, very reasonably priced with Gemstone Trading and wonderful scents and performance with both products.

This week I have been using a new (to me) balm called Rockface All Weather Moisturiser, I saw it on offer at my local Tesco for £2.50 from £4.00

Very nice stuff, not tacky or sticky and lightly scented. If anything I would say I prefer it to my usual balm of Nivea.

My favourite post shave is La Toja balm and splash, very reasonably priced with Gemstone Trading and wonderful scents and performance with both products.

I've just finished off a tube of this, and thought it was excellent. Nice scent and easily absorbed.

David.

It is & hopefully the producers of these products are honest about the ingredients they put into them...:confused:
From knowledge, if you make a cosmetic product to be sold on the domestic market, you have to have it tested and cosmetic database registered which something called a PIF (product information file). The PIF has to show where you get the individual ingredients from. The supplier of the ingredient(s) either need to be registered suppliers or contribute enough information to unequivocally show that the ingredient is what they claim it to be. You can get products on the market without this information but they're often very quickly found out and removed from stock and/or quarantined.

Hope this helps!

Ben

From knowledge, if you make a cosmetic product to be sold on the domestic market, you have to have it tested and cosmetic database registered which something called a PIF (product information file). The PIF has to show where you get the individual ingredients from. The supplier of the ingredient(s) either need to be registered suppliers or contribute enough information to unequivocally show that the ingredient is what they claim it to be. You can get products on the market without this information but they're often very quickly found out and removed from stock and/or quarantined.

Hope this helps!

Ben
Thanks, good to know.

Like @FrankieG - I'm also into balms over splashes @DPTC. My preferred balms are:
1. Vichy Homme After Shave Balm
2. Dermalogica Post-Shave Balm

Both are very good at making my skin feel soft, smooth & moisturised.

I'll check the Vichy Homme one out, Dermalogica have had bad rep for parabens in their products apparently so I'd rather not use that.

I was shocked to experience for myself how good Nivea Sensitive balm is. Used it many years ago and thought it was too greasy. Obviously I was using too much. £2.67 right now from Boots and my 100ml bottle is still 2/3rds full since October this year.

I was shocked to experience for myself how good Nivea Sensitive balm is. Used it many years ago and thought it was too greasy. Obviously I was using too much. £2.67 right now from Boots and my 100ml bottle is still 2/3rds full since October this year.
I'm using exactly that at the minute.

...Nivea is great for several reasons: (1) Excellent 'feel'...as you say, it isn't greasy; (2) Again, as you say, it's price; (3) It doesn't have an overpowering scent so can be used to follow any AS splash; and (4) it comes in a milk glass bottle...now what other classic aftershave products come in milk glass? Mmm...now let me think...oh yes: Old Spice and Tabac Original. I reckon maybe it's a good idea to keep hold of a Nivea bottle as a future collectible!;):):D

...Nivea is great for several reasons: (1) Excellent 'feel'...as you say, it isn't greasy; (2) Again, as you say, it's price; (3) It doesn't have an overpowering scent so can be used to follow any AS splash; and (4) it comes in a milk glass bottle...now what other classic aftershave products come in milk glass? Mmm...now let me think...oh yes: Old Spice and Tabac Original. I reckon maybe it's a good idea to keep hold of a Nivea bottle as a future collectible!;):):D

It is indeed superb for these reasons. The post shave feeling is really important to me. I've had all too many balms that give me a sticky feeling on the face or wear off after lunchtime, giving me an itchy feelin.

Back
Top Bottom