Manky Boy restoration!

Well the F4 'Manky Boy' arrived!,unfortunately,what looked like rust in the Ebay pics,was not rust,but some pink tarnishing,so someone's obviously had a go at 'Manky Boy' before.....Oh well,into the ultrasonic with a 1litre,boiling water,Fairy Liquid,with a cup full of white vinegar mix,see what comes out....

Ex7awMg.jpg

Here's the head before I started on it,doesnt look too bad in the pic,but is quite pitted.
Remember,I plan on re-plating this one,so all pitting has to go...

ipt5OXy.jpg

Now outside,ready for a bit of polishing,TBH,I dont NEED to polish it yet,as I am going to disassemble it,and give it an electro cleaning,to strip it down to the pure brass.But I could'nt help myself!...LOL!.Heres before...

Fn98ozI.jpg

Another...

uAyM3Yl.jpg

After a couple of minutes on the polishing wheel...

uUM6Gli.jpg

Far from 'done' but the pitting is going down,and it started to p**s down just after I started,and the sky went black...Hence this being the last photo for now,but,I will be back!!!

Last edited:
This little project may take a while,as I haven't got much cash,and my health is far from good,so it may run on a bit....but if all goes well,I may donate this as a Christmas TSR raffle prize,maybe with the option of 'Bright Nickel',or 'Black nickel' plating option,see how it goes!,that is what I would LIKE to do....:)

Let me know your thoughts guys!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to following your progress with plenty of pictures. That's a serious ultrasonic cleaner you have there, compared to my cheapo model. SWMBO thinks mine takes up too much space in the kitchen. :oops:
Good luck with the restoration.

Andreas

I attacked Manky Boy with the heavy weapons this morning!,a 5/32 socket,a block of wood,with a 12mm hole drilled through,then chopped in half,a pair of mole grips,and what was originally a paint scraper,but with the head removed to make a punch,and the vice of the old workmate,and a hammer....This is what I have ended up with...

ECnEaEY.jpg

gSnmbjY.jpg

EUGH!!!!.Manky Boy is certainly living up to his name now!.He's now off for soak in Cif bathroom mousse,then back into the ultrasonic!....Dirty boy!.

Last edited:
Manky boy has now had another hour in the ultrasonic,heated to 55-60C,with a fairy liquid,white vinegar mix,the Cif soak removed a bit of the limescale,but nothing spectacular,but the ultrasonic treatment got rid of 99%,only the inside of the adjuster plate was still bad,so with a dentists scraper in hand,I got rid of that too.Another 15 mins in the US sorted it (almost,but I will get on to that in the next post).

baqwL0p.jpg

0iUgr6B.jpg

Open wide...Say "AAARRRRGGGHHH"!.

94A8YGs.jpg

All the internals are even cleaner now.I have been at them with a brass brush,0000 grade wire wool,and some very mild wet and dry work.Pics up soon!.

Last edited:
Here is where it is at the moment!,paint for the red spring,and the numbers arrived just now.I think I will go with black gloss instead of matt though.All orifices really clean,and I also got rid of some of the pitting on the bottom plate,it doesnt show that in this pic mind.Hand has totally given up now,so that's it for today!.

Ql8uVow.jpg

Looking at the photo above,it looks like there is rust on a few pieces,there isn't any at all though!.You can clearly see the pitting on the silo doors on this picture,that needs sorting!.At least all the springs are in really good condition! (the one thing would have threw a spanner in the works if they weren't).

Last edited:
Exceedingly good work, Dr. T! Have you considered a re-plating job at this stage?
Thank you sir! (and everybody else BTW!).Not quite ready for plating at this stage.Some of the parts have some serious pitting,which goes all the way into the brass,so the next job is to very carefully wet sand them all out,including the parts that Gillette wouldn't normally bother with ;).
After that,electrically/chemically remove all the remaining nickel plate,check/rectify any imperfections,then on to the buffing wheel to get that brass gleaming!.
Then after that,I will start the pre plate acid activation/cleaning,then a nice thick new coat of bright nickel for Manky Boy!.:)

Last edited:
Nothing much to report today,been on the buffing wheel getting rid of the pitting.It is gone in some places,and nearly gone in others,looking better all round though!.No pics today as it would probably look the same as the above one!.It IS getting there though!.More pics when the pitting has gone.

Back
Top Bottom