May 2017 Acquisitions

The Colonial General arrived today
View attachment 25168
The head of the general is very similar to that of the ATT SE1.I got it from the BST (Thanks Olly your a true gent )

A cool looking razor in it's simplicity

One of my favorite razors. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it. The Schick Proline's work brilliantly with it....for me anyway.

One of my favorite razors. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it. The Schick Proline's work brilliantly with it....for me anyway.

Hello Rob, first shave tomorrow with the general and the plan was to pair it up with a proline as I haven't used one
yet . I've used the feather pro and Kai pinks in my SE1 so to get some sort of comparison with both razors I'm going to use a feather pro now.

cheers !!!

Only bidder on this cased brass Ever Ready 1912
A quick clean & polish and it's come up quite nice. Rather chuffed.
NtGQihP.jpg

gW0CFLq.jpg

pn0lP3B.jpg

Waiting for some Peek polish to finish off.

Good stuff Wayne, I have the Fatip piccolo it's the same head as your grande, just a different handle, (you probably already new that) anyhow a superb razor mate ;)

Thank you @patw , @Palmolive fox and @Blackmass .
(and no Pat I did not know the piccolo was a different handle, thanks for sharing :) ). The beauty of this hobby is I continue to learn something new everyday mate.

I could not resist the temptation of trying my first "Open Comb" razor.
I now understand the difference between the shave of a "Closed Comb."

This razor makes me smile, it is so much more aggressive IMHO and I realised that yesterday when I tried to make a pass over my top lip, pressed down and the blade simply left its mark just under my nose. OUCH! Lol.
I know it is all a learning curve.
I am in the process of buying the Mhurle R89 purely to compare to my beloved Merkur 34c before I take the plunge and go full hog on the R41.

PN. Several weeks ago, I do recall me saying as an introduction my main reason for transferring from carts to DE's was the fact that carts cost so much money. :)
I will leave it at that guys. :D (whatever happens, don't tell the wife)

Enjoy all!
Wayne

Last edited:
Thank you @patw , @Palmolive fox and @Blackmass .
(and no Pat I did not know the piccolo was a different handle :) ). The beauty of this hobby is I continue to learn something new everyday mate.

I could not resist the temptation of trying my first "Open Comb" razor.
I now understand the difference between the shave of a "Closed Comb."

This razor makes me smile, it is so much more aggressive IMHO and I realised that yesterday when I tried to make a pass over my top lip, pressed down and the blade simply left its mark just under my nose. OUCH! Lol.
I know it is all a learning curve.
I am in the process of buying the Mhurle R89 purely to compare to my beloved Merkur 34c before I take the plunge and go full hog on the R41.

PN. Several weeks ago, I do recall me saying as an introduction my main reason for transferring from carts to DE's was the fact that carts cost so much money. :)
I will leave it at that guys. :D (whatever happens, don't tell the wife)

Enjoy all!
Wayne

Hi Wayne,
Sorry to hear your first encounter with the Fatip was a painful one.

I can only speak as I find but I don't find the Fatip aggressive at all. I think it's one of the most efficient razors I've used but not aggressive, there is a difference.

I find it very smooth and I think this is maybe how the razor caught you out. You don't need any pressure (you know the mantra) at all to get a close shave with it. It feels at times as if it isn't removing any stubble due to the smoothness. The same can be said for the ATT S2.

I would definitely give it another go. I know if you have a bad experience with a razor it can put you off using it again but please persevere.

As for using the R41. The Fatip is a pussycat compare to it. You have been warned.;)

Good luck.

Cheers
Rob

I was looking at the 30mm knots but wondered if it would be too big based on the brushes I have used so far, if I like the 24mm then I may get a 30mm later. I liked the idea of the butterscotch handle as well, which looks better in real life than it does in the photos.

I had the same thought as yourself re the 30mm as most of my brushes are around the 24mm too but it's been great .Eats up a fair bit of soap, luckily I have plenty.
I've already spent far to much on shaving gear this month otherwise I might have been tempted to order the 24mm, A future buy though me thinks

Back
Top Bottom