Merkur Progress "Digress"

Hi Dave, in my opinion it will all depend on the members reviews.

The Digress will be easier to get hold of if demand does no go off scale. If the reviews are favourable (I had an input in design and concept, so my review can be discounted and I do not take offence) then they will be popular.

Only folk that have experience of both can give their verdict, are they equal? Is the wait/cost/customs risk worth buying Mergress or is the Digress at least equal, or better for less cost/risk.

Bearing in mind Ian is offering a conversion service, The Digress is a tempting offer for those that have a Progress. The improvement may well be worth the outlay.....

I don't think many will buy razors to make a profit, I have yet to part with one! If you like the Mergress, then enjoy it but I wouldnt worry about residual value, they are two similar but differen razors.....

Time will tell!

After using my progress for the first time yesterday I now realise why people want one of these or a mergress. I don't think it could be that bad but when I put the blade in the razor started at 3.5 or the line after three. Now I only paid £25 for mine but if I had paid full price I would be a bit disappointed that out of the box it was not set up to take a blade properly without a costly after market conversation. Whis merkurs thinking about this process

malky39 said:
After using my progress for the first time yesterday I now realise why people want one of these or a mergress. I don't think it could be that bad but when I put the blade in the razor started at 3.5 or the line after three. Now I only paid £25 for mine but if I had paid full price I would be a bit disappointed that out of the box it was not set up to take a blade properly without a costly after market conversation. Whis merkurs thinking about this process

I don't understand the not taking a blade properly

On its own the progress is the best non stainless steel modern razor out there

All the conversion does is tart it up a bit and make the handle heavier thus improving the shave in some people opinions

What merkur should be doing is putting a metal adjuster on the razor from the start

malky39 said:

Spin the head round 180 degrees it'll match up

I have had a Mergress for a couple of years. I have owned a Toggle, Slim, Fatboy, P3 and still own a Futur. Of all the adjustable razors I own the Mergress is my most used razor, it is a fantastic piece of kit.

I got mine from here second hand but in "as new" condition for £50-60 (from memory) so still a bargain. I don't have a standard progress of digress to compare it with but I would heartily recommend a Progress (of either variety) to anyone as a good adjustable

Mantic loves his and I have to agree it is just about perfect.

Hairsuite said:
Check out

http://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/News/Latest/The-Gentleman-s-Groom-Room-News.htm

For more detail...

IMHO there's a lot of nonsense in the blurb about the 'Digress':

1) How can the razor be "calibrated for improved adjustment and dial accuracy" if the original threading on the cap screw and the numbering ring is still being used?

2) How can both the heavy stainless steel and light weight aluminium knobs both give a "perfect balance" given that there is a 26g difference between the two?

I guess the answer to 1 is, the numbering ring is realigned on the new part to land on "1" when tightened down with a blade fitted (I could not achieve this by turning my cap 180 as previously suggested) this calibration is not wholly required, it simply allows all Progress owners to compare accurately their favourite shave positions..

2. Some like the balance to be handle heavy, some like the balance head heavy. The stainless gives handle weight, Progress head heavy, and I guess the Alu gives a wee compromise...

I love the history and the retro feel of my Slim and Fatboy. Love my Birth year Black Beauty because it is my year, quarter and because a good guy gave it me. I like my Merkur because (Pre and post conversion) for me it shaves better than any of my other adjustable's.....

Hairsuite said:
I love the history and the retro feel of my Slim and Fatboy. Love my Birth year Black Beauty because it is my year, quarter and because a good guy gave it me. I like my Merkur because (Pre and post conversion) for me it shaves better than any of my other adjustable's.....

Excellent enabling Sir! So how does the digress shave differ from the retro Gillettes? Is it smoother, or is the adjustability range different somehow? The digress looks like something out of an old black and white sci-fi show, perfect for a Rocket Man!

I find all Merkur easy to shave with. I cannot shave with my EJ at all, but my Barberpole, HD, Slant and Progress/Digress I find easy to shave with.

It must just be the blade angle that suits me. In comparison to the vintage Gillettes, they are all TTO and have larger heads. The progress is a two piece, with a smaller head. I find it much easier to find the sweet spot in the angle without havering to concentrate quite so much.

Having the conversion available makes buying easy, simply buy a Progress, and if it suits you and you fancy a Digress, get it converted...

The only problem, once you shave with the Progress, you might not want to part with it for two weeks whilst it is converted!

I think the Progress design dates back to at least the 60's.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/343301-How-old-is-my-Merkur-Progress

I am just about to give my Digress another whirl! I reckon that even if you do not like it, it will be easy to move on.... But you will like it!

press said:
malky39 said:

Spin the head round 180 degrees it'll match up
Tried that but it didnt work. But i did find out if you push the adjuster right into the handle when twisting it lands on one so its all sorted.

Well, I got my hands on mine this morning and it certainly looks the part. Will be shaving with it this week so will report back. With the exception of an vintage Russian adjustable this will be my first, so it any review will be an absolute, rather than a relative/comparison review.

Laters....

Rocket Man said:
Really tempted by this one. However I already have a Fatboy, Slim, and a Super-Slim, do I really need another adjustable?

I rather like my Fatboy and Slim. However... the first time I tried my Progress, I thought this was the razor I should have got on day one. Regular use has not changed my opinion of this excellent razor. If I could only have one razor, it would be the Progress. YMMV, as they say

I'm still unsure about getting a Digress... I seem to be one of those people (maybe a small minority) who has no problem with the plastic knob.

jds said:
Well, I got my hands on mine this morning and it certainly looks the part. Will be shaving with it this week so will report back. With the exception of an vintage Russian adjustable this will be my first, so it any review will be an absolute, rather than a relative/comparison review.

Laters....

Well I used mine this morning and I am very impressed. Possibly the best, closest shave I have ever had. After one day I feel this may now be my go to razor, taking over from my first DE purchase, coincidentally another Merkur the 38C HD Barber Pole.

I'm considering getting a second one of these for travelling... I'm that happy with it.

Nice piece of enablement.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom