Merkur progress

Well, what can i say....im in love [emoji847][emoji847]
Merkur progress is by far my best razor i have ever owned or used. Awesome shave today!! Not even my problem areas gave me trouble. Almost BBS.....
The only problem with this razor is the colour of the knob. Other than that....truly a amazing razor.
Best purchase of 2017 so far [emoji847][emoji847] very happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Progress is good isn't it. My experience is that it's the most reliable razor I have in that it's guaranteed to deliver a great shave no matter what blade is used. It always surprises me that while the actual shave seems uneventful the results are much better than you expect. The yellow knob is forgiven by me due to the razor's performance. The plastic is actually very good quality.
I always break the razor down into 3 pieces to clean after changing blade and have had no problems with this. The knob can be pulled off (Matron!) then later pushed back in again by squeezing the ring clip.
The only negative I have is the slightly slippery feel of the handle - I've covered mine with clear heat shrink tubing which fixes that. I've been looking at the new Parker Variant razor as this looks like a copy but with grippier handle.
Enjoy the Progress.

Had this for a week and it's so good it's knocked my Rockwell 6s to the back of the pack
gxnPdq.jpg

I am new to de and started with a 34C but soon bought a progress, love it ..only thing Is I wish is that that the dot and numbers were coloured so I can see them better, love the persona blade in it

I am new to de and started with a 34C but soon bought a progress, love it ..only thing Is I wish is that that the dot and numbers were coloured so I can see them better, love the persona blade in it

It's quite easy to paint the dot like I did. It makes it a lot easier to find the number whilst shaving.
Unfortunately the numbers are very difficult to paint because they're very shallow and the paint can't take hold.
Progress-1_zps459c9333.jpg

Previous similar link -> Painted Progress

if you take an abrasive like a sanding stick... and run it in the numbers, and roughen up the surface a tad.....
Good idea but that would take a lot of effort and would be a fiddly job and need a very steady hand. My eyes are not up to it these days. Even if you could get the paint to grip I think, being so shallow, the paint would easily flake off.
Actually just having the dot is enough. The problem I have is rotating the razor until I see what number is set. The dot really helps with that so it's quick to find the number after that.

Undoubtedly one of the best D/E razors available and definitely in a league of its own when it comes to adjustables. Mine is a Digress Brass long version supplied by the excellent Gentlemans Groom Room which I've had it for about 3 years. I've never had a poor shave from it. I've tried many different blades in the razor and amazingly all of them seem to work well in it with no problems whatsoever. My advice would be to send a Progress directly to GGR and have the horrible plastic knob replaced in a Digress upgrade. It's much better balanced and looks fantastic (the brass version does at least.) You'll not regret it.

I love my Progress. A couple of things to remember is the different shape of the head, it pushes the blade down at a steeper angle than say the 34C or a Gillette so I need to adjust my shaving angle slightly. Also watch out for the marks on the cap and base plate, they need to be aligned to the same side when you clean/change blades so you get the same setting you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom