Mint condition Gem

Just took delivery of this Gem from the 50's...
Apparently been unused and in storage since the '50's, with only very slight scratch damage to the case only. Includes original pack of 5 Gem Duridium blades that were no longer made after the early 50's. I won't be using these but I'll be trying the razor out in my evening shave with a new Gem blade. I'm interested to find out how this compares to an Ever Ready 1912 I bought a few weeks ago. That was ok and certainly usable as a backup, but I'm hoping to find a good SE that provides a really comfortable shave without requiring expensive injector blades. I'll post a SOTD later if anyone's interested!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Apparently been unused and in storage since the '50's, with only very slight scratch damage to the case only. Includes original pack of 5 Gem Duridium blades that were no longer made after the early 50's. I won't be using these but I'll be trying the razor out in my evening shave with a new Gem blade. I'm interested to find out how this compares to an Ever Ready 1912 I bought a few weeks ago. That was ok and certainly usable as a backup, but I'm hoping to find a good SE that provides a really comfortable shave without requiring expensive injector blades. I'll post a SOTD later if anyone's interested!

View attachment 20336 View attachment 20337 View attachment 20338 View attachment 20339 View attachment 20340
That's a featherweight (you may already know)

Very light razors, that are also quite mild, but I've enjoyed a few shaves with mine! They zip around the face if you want them to! Lovely example of one.

Yeah..Its a Gem Featherweight..Its on the Milder Side but a Far Smoother Shaver than a Ruddy 1912 Auld Spanner...Unlike the 1912 these were Designed for Current Gem Blades Thus Smoother Even with a New Blade..It was Made By Ever Ready as Well & Referred to as the "Natural Angle" Razor but Later Gem Marketed it as Such as Well..o_O

Great Wee BBS Shavers..Underestimated by Many..:D

Billy

View attachment 20336 View attachment 20337 View attachment 20338 View attachment 20339 View attachment 20340
Of course we are interested,look forward to your post, nice bit of kit.

Yeah..Its a Gem Featherweight..Its on the Milder Side but a Far Smoother Shaver than a Ruddy 1912 Auld Spanner...Unlike the 1912 these were Designed for Current Gem Blades Thus Smoother Even with a New Blade..It was Made By Ever Ready as Well & Referred to as the "Natural Angle" Razor but Later Gem Marketed it as Such as Well..o_O

Great Wee BBS Shavers..Underestimated by Many..:D

Billy

Nice to hear so much good stuff about it from peeps in the forum!

That's a featherweight (you may already know)

Very light razors, that are also quite mild, but I've enjoyed a few shaves with mine! They zip around the face if you want them to! Lovely example of one.
You've confirmed what was in the description, Looney...it's nice to hear that the seller knew his stuff!

Nice to hear so much good stuff about it from peeps in the forum!
Yeah..Well..Dont Take in All this Shave Flat Against the Face Mince..These are Around 25 Degrees Angle..Put it Flat Against the Face & Drop the Handle Until it Cuts..These are Very Audible these Featherweights..There is No Mistake when its Cutting..There Has Been Too Much Made of this Flat Against the Face SE Crap in Forums..:eek:

Few Shave Totally Flat Against the Face & I Have Had them All..:D

Billy

Yeah..Well..Dont Take in All this Shave Flat Against the Face Mince..These are Around 25 Degrees Angle..Put it Flat Against the Face & Drop the Handle Until it Cuts..These are Very Audible these Featherweights..There is No Mistake when its Cutting..There Has Been Too Much Made of this Flat Against the Face SE Crap in Forums..:eek:

Billy
My Natural Angle has a little leaflet and diagram on the "correct angle". At first glance, this might suggest that it is indeed flat against the face, but it does say "near -vertical", which in my book ain't flat on. Doubtless this has caused some confusion.
Anyway, I've not yet found a razor that I can't get to work by putting a blade in it and using on my face. Like most things, book learning and theory is no substitute for empiricism and practice.

Billy

I've no doubt you're right Fergie...I go by instinct usually rather than instruction...I tend to set something up and then read the instruction booklet! I think I'll be doing that again. I may not be vastly experienced with SE's but I have been wet shaving for some 35 years and guess I'll just do what I always do: tilt it until I get the right angle for my face:cool:;)

Back
Top Bottom