Monsavon

Monsavon is a French soap that does not appear to be easily available in the UK. I was sent some as a PIF by Hando - I'm not sure where he got it from. France I suppose. :eek: Because this was a gift I have no idea how much it would cost so cannot judge its value for money.

Packaging - It comes in a simple cream-coloured plastic tub. A little like the Wilkinson Sword blue tub but better, as the soap doesn't reach the top so there is room to swirl the brush around. I imagine it could easily be transferred to another vessel if desired.

Consistency - As in texture not performance. Monsavon is a soap, but a rather soft one. If you press it with your finger you will leave an indentation. I think this is great because, like its even softer cousin P160, the lather seems to come that much easier than traditional hard soaps.

Scent - Hard to describe from someone that thought Basenotes.com was a website for Mark King fans, but to me it has a herby scent dominated by aniseed and perhaps a little mint and citrus. It is not too overpowering. I really like it as it smell very uplifting.

Performance - With my Semogue 1305 I quickly whipped up a fine lather. Nothing incredible, but I must say I'm not particularly fastidious as far as lather is concerned. The point is that it was no better or worse than I can achieve with the other soaps I own. It lubricated well and I had an enjoyable shave.

Conclusion - To me the best thing about this soap is its scent and texture. No idea how much it would cost, but from what I've head its pretty standard over in France and rather cheap. Definitely worth seeking out on your next jolly over the channel. :D

Excellent review PigCat - particularly the description of the scent - spot on!
I find it lathers up beautifully with a boar, and even with a brush as small as a Vulfix VS1 I can get enough lather for three passes with one load.
I gather it costs between 1.35 - 1.55 Euro per unit.

sorry Pete, Adam got the last one.

i really like this soap, it's as easy to lather as a MamaBears and the quality of it is up with Tabac :shock:

apparantly available everywhere in France

sounds good, next person who goes to France should remember to take an empty bag :D

The Monsavon Bath soap is very nice as well. Tallow, lanolin, lavender scent, dirt cheap (2 Euro for 6 x 100g).

Would love to try the shaving bowl.

PIF

I would like to share a bit of Monsavon joy with the first guy to PM me. Actually I'll give priority to Frederick as he is expressing interest here. (Pete is also interested but has friends bringing some back from France for him) :shave

Best wishes,

Adam

Pig Cat said:
PIF

I would like to share a bit of Monsavon joy with the first guy to PM me. Actually I'll give priority to Frederick as he is expressing interest here. (Pete is also interested but has friends bringing some back from France for him) :shave

Best wishes,

Adam

Thank you, sir! Sent you a PM

I've used this a few times after picking up two in Carrefour in Calais - Very cheap (under 2 euros) and quite good too. I find the scent to be very citrus/lavender. Admittedly it has been at the back of the drawer for a while so I might have to put it back in the rotation.

The soap is actually manufactured by the body care division of Sara Lee (the cake people) in Europe - Monsavon in general are supermarket level products much like Radox is over here, the shower gels and such are quite good too. Rather frustratingly my other half actually works for Sara Lee and can get me as much free Radox, Monsavon bath stuff and brylcream as I could possibly want, but the shaving soap is only available in europe :(

Already tried - in fact I just nudged again, but since Sara Lee has just sold off the UK Household and Body-Care division to Unilever it seems very unlikely!

She's just transferred to the sister company, Sara Lee Coffee and Tea (Douwe Egberts and Pickwicks) so we can get plenty of free coffee... which neither of us drink!

I received my bowl of Monsavon courtesy of Paul_D for finishing 2nd in his recent marathon competition. Pig Cat was the winner and graciously let me have the prize. Many thanks to both.

Packaging:
The plastic bowl with the snap on lid is perfectly functional. I like to hold the bowl firmly in one hand while I get to work with the brush in my other hand. It's great for that, and the plain cream colour bowl looks fine on my counter.

Scent:
There is a lot going on there. Lemon, lavender and something else sweeter that I can't put my finger on. Wrapped up in a slightly medicated scent that makes for a pleasant fresh shave. To me it's a pretty strong scent, and if I go for a third pass (which is rare) there is a slight burning sensation, which I put down to a high perfume content on my freshly shaven face,

Lather:
Lathers up no problem at all. I had a couple of false starts by pre-soaking with a little hot water. As this soap falls into the Hard cream/soft soap category the pre-soak is not required. It is forgiving of a slightly drier brush. I have only two soaps in my rotation at present, this and Tabac. In terms of ease of lathering and quality of lather, the Monsavon comes second on both counts. However that's not really a fair comparison. The only other like priced bowl soap that I have used to compare it with would be the Wilkinson Sword. In this case the Monsavon easily comes first on both counts.

That's about that really. To conclude. It's a fine fresh soap, that I will be using more and more as the summer threatens. Thanks again guys. :D

Back
Top Bottom