MWF Help

Grate it, press back in to bowl a good aerating works a treat. You can even mix in a small amount of grated arko

Then perseverance, I find with adding little drops of water on a damp brush it's easier in a bowl, but it does take longer

Yep Brian, it doesn't hurt to soak all the very hard soaps in with your brush

I soak mine then load a quite dry brush for around 30 seconds. Another top tip I found is to hold the bowl upside down when loading, it works a treat. I do this on all my soaps now.

I soak it by submerging the whole soap (including the dish) in a sink of warm water, chuck in the brush too, while I have a shower. Shake the water off the brush so it's not dripping. Load the brush with the dish upside down like Shiny said.

I find if I'm getting bubbly lather then I'm not using enough soap. I might depend on how hard your water is but keep loading, I'd go for 30 secs to a minute. I normally then transfer to a bowl to continue lathering by adding half a teaspoonful of water periodically until the brush tips no longer look dry. It may take a while but it pays off and suddenly explodes.
I also think when it's ready the sound of the lathering goes a little quieter too, muffled like when it's been snowing.

Mantic59 has a video for this How to Lather MWF Soap which should give you some ideas.

Alternatively try Tabac soap, dead easy to lather and smells great!

Here in Manchester I have no problem with lathering MWF, soaked brush shaken out .. Little bit a water on the soap .. about a minute or so swishing around in the pot and bobs your uncle lovely creamy lather.
I suppose if you do keep on having problems you could always move to Manchester :icon_razz:

Why do people keep bothering with this stuff,it's not that great overhyped in my opinion.I threw mine out after the sixth attempt.Bin it and get some D R Harris,best soap puck on the market or try a Palmolive stick.

Re: RE: MWF Help

norman said:
Why do people keep bothering with this stuff,it's not that great overhyped in my opinion.I threw mine out after the sixth attempt.Bin it and get some D R Harris,best soap puck on the market or try a Palmolive stick.

Personally I think both DR Harris and Palmolive are below par. I can't get a decent lather from either. I'll stick with MWF as personally I think it's the best shaving soap there is. Of course different people have different experiences with it.

No need for any faffing about - it works straight out of the packet.

Damp brush

Swirl a bit

Dip brush into water

Swirl again

Done

Fido said:
I gave up long ago.

Same here - I'd have a really nice lather around 1 in 4 tries.

joe mcclaine said:
No need for any faffing about - it works straight out of the packet.

Damp brush

Swirl a bit

Dip brush into water

Swirl again

Done

So Fido and I are dunces, then, are we, Vinny?:icon_rolleyes:

It's fine if you have soft/moderately hard water, but, beyond a certain hardness threshold, it seems to drop off a cliff.

chrisbell said:

It's fine if you have soft/moderately hard water, but, beyond a certain hardness threshold, it seems to drop off a cliff.

Now now. I didn't say anything of the sort.

I was saying I wouldn't bugger about grating and reforming it - just as I wouldn't stand it in water for 5 minutes - or anything else beyond wetting the brush and swirling.

As with the 'shim' debate - if it doesn't work 'as is' then get rid and try summat else.

There's plenty of choice.

joe mcclaine said:
chrisbell said:

Now now. I didn't say anything of the sort.

I was saying I wouldn't bugger about grating and reforming it - just as I wouldn't stand it in water for 5 minutes - or anything else beyond wetting the brush and swirling.

As with the 'shim' debate - if it doesn't work 'as is' then get rid and try summat else.

There's plenty of choice.

Sorry Vinny - misinterpreted your viewpoint. I agree that, if you need to faff about with a soap that much, it's probably not worth it - hence why I reluctantly sold my MWF. I find Tabac to be a pretty close replacement, though the post-shave care isn't quite as good, it lather easily in very hard water.

There are plenty of YouTube videos regarding this, Try searching YouTube for "Marko Lathering Method".

I find a "scritchy brush" either a Pure or best/2band badger, or even better a Boar brush works well.

I soak my Semogue or vintage Addis Boar brush in warm water whilst showering, pop teaspoon of warm water on soap at the same time.

When I am out of the shower, I take brush from water bristles down and let it drain naturally, one gentle shake then load the brush as usual (having tipped water from soap) about 70-100 swirls works for me.

After loading, I face lather building lather. It starts off a bit thin and flies about the room a bit, after that it starts to thicken and develop until I have a face and brush loaded with really good, slick lather.

Think Perthshire has soft water, I know "my MWF lather is brilliant" replies are not what you ate after, but try this method? The boar brush certainly helps me on all hard soaps.

Mantic59 also has a few tips on his YouTube pages.....

Alternatively, send it to me in the post with the ceramic dish :)

Back
Top Bottom