MWF Help

Another who likes it here. Moderately hard water. Few drops of water on the puck, leave while I shower, soak Vulfix Bodger while I dry, shake off excess water from brush, tip water off puck, load brush generously (usually with a bit of upside down loading for MWF), face lather. Works a treat and my basic method for all the soaps I use. Given all the comments I've seen about hard water it's not 1 I'd take with me to an area with very hard water though, must admit.

mikebrownington said:
Thanks for the tips guys - used Marco's method and got oodles of lovely lather. Think I was actually drying the brush too much previously.

Glad it is now working for you (but not glad you won't be PIF'ing it to me) :i:icon_razz:

Enjoy "The Fat" made in God's country 'Tha Nose!

Well, I am not travelling for work until January at the latest, so I have decided to hit the MWF hard and use it every day. I have had a few practice lathers and it seems to be fine for me. Boar brush and not as wet as i would usually practice seems to work, so let's see how it goes.

I wonder when I will get the urge to use a different soap or cream, or brush for that matter?!

Watch this space, I guess....

Jon

I just slice a thin piece off the original and press it into my Surabachi . BestShave Horse Brush. Soak the brush 3-4 mins and make your lather.
(Would send a photo ...but.... Photos still are working)

MWF is probably my benchmark for hard soaps and it gives me a really great shave, this wasn't always the case though.

I watched Mantics video on Youtube and I use everything apart from holding the bowl upside down which looks like a recipe for disaster. Worth a look.

Also worth having your face good and warm (as normal) but slightly drier than normal for face lathering.

Hope this helps,
BR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGLi_m9n_s

This post had reminded me to get out the Fat again and I've been using it for the last two shaves with excellent results. I quite like the scent but the best part of it is that my face feels really nicely conditioned all day.
I think my success is due to using a ribbed lather bowl that makes whipping up a lather more efficient.
I was just going to keep the soap dish to use with another soap when the MWF eventually runs out but I've decided now to get a MWF refill when the times comes.

MWF_zpsc6ef3057.jpg

Good results with a 98 boar tonight just gave it a small shake so it had plenty of water still in it and loaded until it was nice and thick and creamy in the brush leaving the proto lather on the puck then took it to a bowl. Had enough lather for about 6 people and that is with rock hard water here. Interestingly no soap scum floating around on the water which I usually get with previous failed attempts at using MWF before.

For what it is worth here is my take on MWF lathering. I figured that the key thing is to get as much hardish soap on the brush as possible so I wet the puck for a few moments and wet the ends of a dense brush. I then flick as much of the water out of them as possible. Now to pick up the soap. I swirl the brush 10 times anti clockwise and 10 times clockwise and repeat 5 times, a total of 100 swirls. I then bowl lather adding water by flicking wet fingers into the bowl. I have reasonably hard water and this technique seems to work for me.

Bonne chance

Jon

We have very hard water up here and I always found that soaking the puck for a couple of minutes and using a reasonably dry brush helped. Mantis has a Youtube video which is useful, if you have no luck with the MWF (you'll be one of many brave folk) try the Proraso soap - good quality and great lather. Your choice.

jds said:
For what it is worth here is my take on MWF lathering. I figured that the key thing is to get as much hardish soap on the brush as possible so I wet the puck for a few moments and wet the ends of a dense brush. I then flick as much of the water out of them as possible. Now to pick up the soap. I swirl the brush 10 times anti clockwise and 10 times clockwise and repeat 5 times, a total of 100 swirls. I then bowl lather adding water by flicking wet fingers into the bowl. I have reasonably hard water and this technique seems to work for me.

Bonne chance

Jon

Wet the soap for a while, then 100 swirls AND bowl lather?

Blimey, you could shave twice in that time.

Back
Top Bottom