Name your favourite top ten films?

Well we all know how difficult this is and there will be many films you are going to leave out, but you must make your call and not dither and try to be to decisive, here's my call, there are many films I could include but as i've already stated you have got to make the call. Not in any particular order. Except for the number 1 Lust for life, that is my number one film of all time, Kirk Douglas playing Vincet Van Gough, his performance in that film is nothing short of brilliance, His performace coupled with the photograhy and direction in that film will leave you speechless.

Jamie.

(1) A lust for life
(2) One flew over the Cuckoo's nest
(3) O Brother where Art Thou, the best music track of any film
(4) American Beauty, brilliant
(5) Beowulf
(6) The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
(7) the green mile
(8) The shining
(9) The Yearling
(10) Pulp fiction, what can I say, it looks like a typical weekend in Merthyr Tydfil.

In no particular order, Lots of these i saw as a kid, and have seen many times, and used to live abroad with no English TV so watched lots of movies !!

(1) Duel
(2) Shawshank Redemption
(3) Halloween
(4) Jaws
(5) Dragon "The Bruce Lee Story"
(6) Christine
(7) The Day After Tomorrow
(8) Full Metal Jacket
(9) Westworld
(10) Wargames

Still more, any Connery Bond Film (excluding never say never again as that was s~~t !, and on and on and on !!!! far too many......yes my DVD stash is quite extensive !

If you have never seen number 1 on the list, "Duel" , i urge you to get a copy / Download it etc, it's a great film, nothing gory, just clever filming and directing by Spielberg .

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well we all know how difficult this is and there will be many films you are going to leave out, but you must make your call and not dither and try to be to decisive, here's my call, there are many films I could include but as i've already stated you have got to make the call. Not in any particular order.

Jamie.

(1) The Green Mile
(2) Midnight Express
(3) O Brother where Art Thou, the best music track of any film
(4) American Beauty, brilliant
(5) Blade Runner, Classic
(6) Ray, Biopic Ray Charles, what a performance
(7) Silence of the Lambs, i'm almost certain Hannibal Lecter would have been a DE shaver and a member of the Shaving room!
(8) Dusk till dawn, I had to include this just because i'm married to Salma Hayek, well I am when i'm dreaming.
(9) Kill Bill, pure escapism.
(10) Pulp fiction, what can I say, it looks like a typical weekend in Merthyr Tydfil.

Some great choices here.. many are firm favourites of mine... not all would make it to my top ten though:

1) pulp fiction
2) american beauty
3) blade runner
4) apocalypse now
5) the matrix
6) lost in translation
7) as good as it gets
8) star wars the empire strikes back
9) dirty rotten scoundrels
10) The big lebowski

LOTR Trilogy
The Princess Bride
Babe
Babe II: Pig in the City
Muppets Christmas Carol
Muppets Treasure Island
Withnail & I
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Dumb & Dumber
Sweeney Todd :blank:

I bet I've forgotten something. :blush:

the princess pride is excellent, so is withnail and I, and all the kill bills.

it'd be far easier for me to pick 100 top films rather than 10!!

God! Pig cat why did you have to put in Lord of the Rings, I forgot the trilogy is one of my all time favourites cannot wait for the Hobbit to come out on release, still great call. OK that means I can have a extra one film because I started the post. I also forgot to mention two of my favourite films Pan's Labyrinth and the Devils Backbone by the director Guillermo del Toro who is also directing the Hobbit, with him as the director they cannot fail.

Jamie

In no particular order:-

Apocalypse Now Redux

Das Boot - in German with English subtitles

Amelie

The Shawshank Redemption

Get Carter

The Matrix ( first film only )

Fight Club

Amorres Perros

Sexy Beast

Jaws

And loads of others! In fact if you ask me in a weeks time it would probably be a completely different list!

Amelie and Fight Club are both very good. I'd like to see a film that encompasses both their qualities.

Guillermo del Toro who is also directing the Hobbit

I thought Peter Jackson was directing The Hobbit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

Edit: OK I just looked further and it appears he is also involved. Is there such a thing as deputy director?

Second edit: OK looks like he's not actually involved. I'm confused. Anybody know about this film?

Pig Cat said:
Amelie and Fight Club are both very good. I'd like to see a film that encompasses both their qualities.

Edit: OK I just looked further and it appears he is also involved. Is there such a thing as deputy director?

Second edit: OK looks like he's not actually involved. I'm confused. Anybody know about this film?

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien's “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.

Looks like he as still some input into the film so i think that will be OK, secondly unlike a lot of successful series of films, like Star wars and rocky so on Tolkien wrote the book long before the film, with so many Hollywood block busters they have one success then they have nothing else to work with so the call in the script writers well the next sequal more often or not fails to excite you in the same way as the original.

Jamie.

Pig Cat said:

It's in production and due for release next year and Jackson is directing it which is a shame because Del Torro is a far superior film maker.

No particular Order:

StarWars (All 6)
Blade Runner
Evil Dead I, II, Army of Darkness
Big Lebowski (White Russians woohoo!!!!)
Grosse Point Blank
Blade (All 3)
Dune
Predator franchise
Hellraiser (Dare I say all eight? :icon_biggrin:)
They Live

But then...
Matrix
Aliens franchise
Batmans (all)
Supermans (Reeves)
Anchorman
and many, many more!

Not easy, I'll change my mind before long.

The Godfather part 1
Eraserhead
Se7en
Repo Man
Metropolis
Hellraiser (just the first one)
Cabaret
Alien
The Thirty Nine Steps (Hitchcock)
Carry On Cleo

Some painful omissions: LOTR, Terminator, His Girl Friday, Audition, anything by Greenaway or Cronenberg, Leon, Citizen Cane, Being John Malkovich, A Fistful of Dollars etc ...

Back
Top Bottom