Need help with shaving? [Red marks after]

Welcome! I'm a bit of a heretic around here because I do sometimes use an electric shaver; however, I only use it if I am in too much of a rush for a proper, DE (double edge) safety razor shave using a brush, shaving soap or cream, proper beard preparation etc. In addition, I only use the electric when there's no need for me to look totally clean-shaven all day, as I don't think electrics are capable of it without forcing the cutters onto your face (which is what I suspect you've been doing), and my face would be worse than your neck if I tried. Essentially, I use it to keep any stubble to a semi-decent level if I really can't have a full wet shave, though I'd point-out that I keep usage of the electric to a minimum.

As for advice - first of all, get used to skimming your electric gently across your face and neck with minimal pressure. Secondly, try wet shaving in some form - I'd normally suggest a safety razor that takes single, disposable blades with two cutting edges, usually called a DE razor - however, if you've never wet shaved before, you might be better-off using a simple cartridge design with as few blades in the head as possible. I've heard good reports about the Boots twin-blade, which is effectively a clone of an old twin-bladed Gillette Sensor - so much so that it'll take Sensor cartridges which are available from some chemists and eBay. Most importantly, stay clear of any canned foam or gel - get yourself either a brushless cream or a tube of Palmolive Classic cream. Initially, I'd suggest applying by hand and working the lather into your beard with your fingertips, then making one pass of the razor in the direction of the growth of your beard. Once you're used to this procedure, we can recommend a good shaving brush which you use to build lather and work it into your beard growth. Only once you've mastered lathering and a single-pass shave with the cartridge would I suggest going the DE route.

Man,if you want to try a de razor,It just so happens that I have a wilkinson sword De razor you can try out for free if you like , it's a plastic razor that's as safe as you can get,hell I'll even throw in a wilkinson sword brush for free all you will have to buy is some shaving cream and a bowl, the razor will not shave as close as you like but it will give you a go with a De,how about it?

John said:
Man,if you want to try a de razor,It just so happens that I have a wilkinson sword De razor you can try out for free if you like , it's a plastic razor that's as safe as you can get,hell I'll even throw in a wilkinson sword brush for free all you will have to buy is some shaving cream and a bowl, the razor will not shave as close as you like but it will give you a go with a De,how about it?

top bloke john this is a gr8 offer.

fatboy1971 said:
John said:

top bloke john this is a gr8 offer.

If he wants to,I will give him the tube of Palmolive shaving cream and some blades as well so all he needs is a bowl or mug and he's off.

Let the hair grow through for a few days, to let your skin calm down. Then, check the direction the stubble grows in order to determine the hair grain. Then, if you do use a double edge razor, shave with just one pass - that is, shave once only in the direction of the growth.

Don't shave against the grain, and don't worry about shaving across the grain just yet either; just stick to shaving with the grain.

Don't press the razor, just let it do the work.

Thanks people ,I hope he takes up my offer, he seems a nice lad, and there should be no shame in asking for help, life is all about trying something new after all.

Ill send you blades, they seem to be cheaper here in the States, and bowl. This with John's contribution, all you need is cream. Get started young man. PM if interested.

at fitst ignore advice on shaving with the grain as some people have hair growing up

best to start by shaving down

dont shave other an area that has no lather on it, lather is the term for the soap when its on face

Welcome Mr, I'm a bit of an outcast here as I rarely use a DE but save that for when I have time.

I've found in the past an electric shaver gives me irritation and was a cause of the red neck! Daily now I use a Wilkinson Sword Quattro razor and Nivea or Gillette gel/foam, I shave in the shower to ensure I was all the product off. I don't tend to use a balm as again I've found this makes the irritation on my neck stand out a little more.

To answer your question about E45, yes you can use that as an after shave, I do, but I've found sudocrem works better at calming the neck down.

Saying all of that I'm on leave now so off for a leisurely DE shave.

fatboy1971 said:
Asks for help then nothing...... strange.
I think his mum has hit him over the head with a rolling pin, and hid him under the stairs like Harry Potter. "Don't talk to strangers"............... nag, nag, nag, "Go on son get in there" sling, slam of door, twist of key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shanky887614 said:
at fitst ignore advice on shaving with the grain as some people have hair growing up

best to start by shaving down

dont shave other an area that has no lather on it, lather is the term for the soap when its on face

I don't think this is good advice - or at best it is confusing. If hair is growing in an upwards direction, surely it's better to shave in that direction i.e. with the grain. I read your advice as meaning that he should shave down regardless of the direction of hair growth.

In any event it looks as if all the conflicting advice has frightened the poor chap off.

Back
Top Bottom