Never before, Never After

Long read but eye opener for me. Learnt hard way

Many moons ago I sold my Toggle on ebay to a chap in Dublin (thats was first time I used ebay to do such a thing) and from that sell grew a friendship. Over last 4 months we are chatting via email or FB about Razors, life, family and all the values connected to it. Basically being a Gentleman, family and Children being centre of World ( My baby boy was born end of last year) and him having few children with youngest being 2 years old.

At some point in middle in March from one word to another we came to agreement we will trade razors between us we both desire, especially my birthday was coming up end of March so I thought why not?!

He offer me a Gillette New Improved Big Fellow in mint cased condition ( My best/most comfortable/smooth/BBS razor ever) for my basically unused (twice) Feather AS-2Ds and I throw in as gift my second beloved razor Feather Portable ( my spare one as I love that razor over 3 years I acquired 3 of them). I as man of Principle I was not here for profit just razor for razor as I dont go by prices eBay dictates. If I want razor I will trade other I have no need no more even if thats mean losing some quid on it.

So off to Post Office I went to send 3 Parcel: To my friend in Australia PIF of Blades, To my friend in Belgium other razor and above trade razor to Dublin. Next day my Dublin friend send me fragment of An Post receipt as confirmation of his end of deal.

Week passed and Belgium Received Parcel
2nd Week passed email from Australia comes. Arrived sound and safe

Meanwhile I am not seeing my Gillette being delivered to me. My wife is every day at home with baby and nothing. My friend writes to me that my parcel is still not delivered too. I am stressing.....

Another week passes he tells me there is card "Sorry you were out" Hey! My razor!
Nope as he emails me at evening is Gillette being return to him as my address was incorrect.... Oh well as my Feather's are not yet being delivered he proposes to wait before he resend with I agree with him.

Time passes and nothing. Then he tells me he wants me to try Straight Razor and insist he will send me whole set as PIF as we Fellow Wet Shavers need to stick together.

So couple days after my good friend from Belgium writes to me about guy in Dublin he bought razor from. Describe as mint and it was in bad shape when he received. He tells me name( My Dublin Friend) and not to deal with him. Well now I am worried and Easter is approaching so I send him msg to contact me and nothing. Another msg Easter passes and then on Shaving group (Facebook, I joined after my Dublin friend talk me into it) one member upload video about my Dublin Friend that he stole his razor. Scenario same etc.. So I contact Guy from video and learn my Feather was proposed to him in trade!

My Dublin friend disappear from FB and emails remain unanswered.

I am trustworthy person and good hearted. I believe in people I know that the will never to nothing wrong to me. Furthermore, I love that hobby and over many years of BST I had great experience. Many members here helped me out as well as I helped them out.

This experience just broke my spirit and put me off about Wet Shaving. I just was able to shave first time after week as I didnt have heart do it.

I look at my razor collection and I see him and my razor taken away from me. I am not rich ( sole earner to family) and it took me long time to have money to buy Feather.....
At this stage I am not sure if I want continue this hobby.

I am a Gentleman and I will not write his name here but if you attend any other groups you probably heard about him stealing from couple people at once. There is video on youtube I will not send link too.

My apologies to put my sorrow towards you guys but i thought I should share my story.

People who we trust in can deceive us too....

That's painful Jack. But in all walks of life there are such inconsiderate, greedy, immoral sods. At the end of the day you have his address if you want to ever pay him a visit and look him in the eye and thank goodness it was 'only a razor'. Things could be much worse.

Dont let an arsehole destroy your happiness or your hobby. Most people are nice guys. You were preyed upon by someone with no concience.

Let it go and move on if you can. He will get whats due to him one day. Karma!

... but there is a plus side which you touched on and that is how close-knit and generally well sported regular people are as you heard about problems from other people and sooner or later, stolen goods do turn up in a niche community, proving truth one way or the other.

Sorry you had to lose out, though.

It is the actions of one person. I know it hurts when something like that happens, but I see the bigger picture, and try and remember when these things don't occur. And, look at the really bad things happening in the world, like those boat loads of refugees capsizing in the Mediterranean Sea. I wonder how many razors went overboard with them.

Celar36 said:
I am a Gentleman and I will not write his name here but if you attend any other groups you probably heard about him stealing from couple people at once. There is video on youtube I will not send link too.
Sorry for your loss Jack.
This scumbag has been ripping off a LOT of people. You should name-n-shame. Thieves deserve no mercy.
A case is being built against him (them).
yJN97lA.jpg

It's always sad to see someone deceived this way - it's 20x worse than someone just not sending what they promised when it's someone you considered a friend.
Don't let the minority put you off your hobbies. I hate seeing people being f##ked over - if i had a feather razor it would be winging its way to you right now to replace your smile. Keep your chin up friend.

Sorry for the loss, don't let your hobby go, If you can track it, go for it. But If its a dead end just imagine that you've forgotten it in a hotel room in a vacation. That may suppress your feelings a little bit!

Reminds me of when I ordered three knives from the knife maker Jack Crain in 1991, the outcome of that is I only ever received one knife after prolonged pressure and had to write off ever receiving the other two knives due to the maker being an out and out crook. Now due to the net these crooks can be named and shamed thus saving other people from being swindled. This did not deter me from dealing with other knife makers as the vast majority of people are as honest as the day is long. So my commiserations and keep your chin up!

Jack,

I have a Feather AS - D1 that I would be more than happy to send to you. I know it is not a direct like for like replacement, but if you would like it then it is yours.

There is a small tale behind this razor that I must tell you before you even think about accepting. Not too long ago I sold this razor via BST on our beloved forum. A short time later the buyer contacted me pointing out that he felt the thread was in some way degraded. He though that it may have been cross threaded at some point. I refunded the money and he returned the razor.

I had used that razor not long before I put it up for sale and I did not notice anything. Upon receipt of the razor I checked and there is an almost undiscernible tightness when the screwing the head on to the handle at the very start of the screwing action. There is some tightness for perhaps half a turn and then it is fine. Had it not been pointed out to me I doubt I would have noticed it. It most certainly does not impact either the razor or the shave. Using a light touch seems to make a difference.

The buyer was quite forensic in his examination and it is only fair that I pass on his commentary (or at least a part of it)

"Unfortunately, I have experienced an issue on the screw thread of the ASD1, on the top cap of the razor. There seems to be some loss of the top finish and also significant wear on the metal of the screw thread below. Here, the metal appears to have been worn down and appears rough and uneven, like it has been ground or worn down in a few places. (Similar to when objects have been cross-threaded or not finished properly or are unfinished). I'm not sure what the correct terminology is, but where you have the flared part of the screw thread, the flared part has been worn down. In some places the flared edge has been reduced (quite heavily in some places) and a rough finish left, where there curved part of the screw thread has been removed. (I can only compare it to the effect when metal is ground down and filings are removed, but the metal is unfinished etc, if that makes sense). Where the metal loss on the thread underneath has occurred the metal below is exposed, it appears different and more darkly coloured. Was it like this when you received it? I'm quite surprised as these are very well built from stainless steel and it's not made from pot metal like Edwin Jagger and co. (I purchased my ASD2 second hand and the thread on that has no loss of top finish and generally pretty clean, smooth and the thread is still very prominent, solid and strongly visible). Going back to the ASD1 it is quite noticeable, as the finish is pretty flawless on the razor throughout. I can show you some pictures if you would like to see? I have cleaned the razor up very gently with a soft sponge, some water and a toothbrush, as I thought the unevenness in the screw thread might be calcium deposits from the water or soap residue, or debris or something like that. But is definitely is not any debris or dir. It is definitely in the metal and finish on the razor.

Also, the thread in the handle has a few areas where the thread has some points, where a similar effect is present, although it is relatively minor and not to the same extent as on the top cap. This is quite hard to see inside and requires the light to be angled, but is is visible. I have found when the plates and handle are put together the razor seems to be very delicate and sensitive and doesn't seem to go on very smoothly when the pieces are threaded together until you get right to the top part and towards the end of the thread. To me it feels like it has been cross-threaded. Did you have the razor from new? (I believe these are made from stainless steel and have matt, hard chrome added to the finish on the top). "

My personal thinking is that this critique is ultra picky, and I never considered there were problems. Here are a couple of photos:

16284086240_4b513603d7_n.jpg

16471531695_97f3cba762_n.jpg

Let me know what you think,

Kind regards

Jon

Don't let the bastards gring you down. Most people in these communities and indeed life hold to the same values as you do. It's a terrible shame you've been a victim of a lying scum bag but the bigger picture is you still have your happiness in life, (health, family) so take heart in that. plus, it seems his day has come. Get in touch with the guy organising his downfall and give your story.

Back
Top Bottom