New razor: Oristo

Still trying to confirm this rumour but it might be that this is the same design firm that designed the RazoRock Black Mamba and that the razor performance will be very similar (which means it could be a stellar razor). We'll see.

I can certainly see some similarities
Black Mamba:
90yexy.jpg

Oristo:
e0h0na.jpg

The video refers to 'the first iteration designed for an online retailer (assumed to be RazoRock).

If so this would be the least expensive 'Black Mamba' head one can get hold of :)

Last edited:
Okay, so that is where I saw that mounting pins on the Anvil design before. I remember it was on a prototype razor, but had forgotten it was the Black Mamba. Moves this up to the hmmm category, especially if Darkbulb can confirm this rumor.

So just to check out some stuff after Darkbulb's post, I found this pic of the Black Mamba. The Anvil and Retainer when put together looks very similar to the Oristo. Now if they only came out with an Uber Glide version!

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 29
Mild doesn't have to mean inefficient (if that's the concern I mean) - The General from @Colonial Razors is a 'mild' razor but magically it's an extremely efficient razor. :)

My Eclipse Red Ring is one of the mildest razors I have, but it takes the piss for sheer efficiency. It's what I'd call one of my anomaly razors ........ It shouldn't work for me ...... but shaves like a dream. That's the beauty of the design, for me: it really is efficient. My standard gap Wolfman is the same; the blade exposure on that bugger makes for a gorgeous shave, regardless that the gap isn't anything to be scared of.

The problem with these newer razors is that they're all being marketed as 'Mild, yet efficient'. It's become something of a gimmick to maximise sales amongst any of those fence sitting over the mild / aggressive question. I've heard Fat Handled Techs described as mild and efficient, but one of those wouldn't get anywhere near my face: I'd be hacking it off half the night and my boat would look like hamburger when I'd finished :D

As usual ........ This is something we'd have to judge long after their release, in the form of more subjective reviews from shavers whose preferences closer match our own.

The below was posted as an update by them on their kickstarter page - I can only assume that this is in direct response to the RR Black Mamba rumors and questions :)

"Quite a few potential backers and existing backers in the collective international shave culture community have sent us messages with conclusions they've drawn that all point to the same thing (regarding 'the first iteration of what would eventually become Oristo' in our video).
It's obvious that knowledgeable members of the wet-shaving community are exactly that: knowledgeable and aware. With that being said, the reason for our discretion in terms of not disclosing anything specific has nothing to do with potential legalities or agreements because none were ever established.
We have chosen to remain silent on specifics, first and foremost, out of respect; because we too, are entrepreneurs. We don't want to ride the coattails of someone else's work building their own brand; we want to let our work and dedication to detail and quality speak for itself.

There's nothing we can do about passionate shave-culture members having the knowledge that they have. But what we can do, is have backers and potential backers who currently use disposables or cartridge razors decide for themselves, if they want to begin their journey into DE safety razors with the most precise and gentle shaving experience."

So is this one of those "If I tell you, I have to kill you" thing? Anyway, to add more fuel to the fire, I eventually tracked down the video I remembered about loading a blade in a new prototype razor that had an anvil and retainer very similar to the Oristo

Now I won't say where I got this from or what the prototype razor was as I also have chosen to remain silent of specifics....

AAAH!!! I am just a sucker for these "we cannot confirm or deny something, but if we could we wouldn't" things. I just pulled the trigger! Hopefully something will show up in my mailbox in time for the holidays and it will be a close approximation to a Black Mamba without the black (was too cheap to get the black coated one).

AAAH!!! I am just a sucker for these "we cannot confirm or deny something, but if we could we wouldn't" things. I just pulled the trigger! Hopefully something will show up in my mailbox in time for the holidays and it will be a close approximation to a Black Mamba without the black (was too cheap to get the black coated one).

I think we all want to read reviews so please do post one when you get a chance

Just found this on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/comments/55qzu9/oristo_kickstarter_de_razor/#bottom-comments

couple of comments down, Joe from Razorock says that the Oristo is an exact copy of the Black Mamba without the Uber-glide. Made a comment about how razors cannot be patented, which explains why there are tons of Merkur clones out there while it is still in production. So Darkbulb's original observation was right!

With 19 days to go they are still not fully funded - but not a long way left.
We'll see if they make it to market.
With a different handle I think I would had been in.
Good luck to them and I hope they make it.

I been checking up with the site ever since I pledged. Seems that just over the weekend up until now, interest started surging. Going into the weekend, they were less than half funded. Now they are about $1500 from meeting their goal. I definitely want an opportunity to get a Black Mamba clone for $80.

I been checking up with the site ever since I pledged. Seems that just over the weekend up until now, interest started surging. Going into the weekend, they were less than half funded. Now they are about $1500 from meeting their goal. I definitely want an opportunity to get a Black Mamba clone for $80.

Yeah I'd say the ways things are looking they should reach their goals

Looks like they reached their goal a couple of hours ago. Not quite sure, but amount pledged exceeded goal amount, however no popping of the champagne cork by the two creators. Looks like I will get a Black Mamba clone before the end of the year (maybe).

Back
Top Bottom