New Silver tip badger brush

Hi all,

I recently purchased one of these brushes, from *that* auction site.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anbbas-Be...=b85f76be52f44149a8eb620ab1c8aa29&pid=100102&
I know it's probably been asked 1001 times before, but what is the recommended procedure to break in a new brush? Some posts I've read say to use a little shampoo and others say to use a little talc to help, so I'm confuddled, to say the least. :p

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the advice, guys. :)

I used the brush for the first time tonight with some TOBS Sandalwood cream and although I love the feel of the brush (It's super-smooth, even compared to my Body Shop synthetic and "splays" enormously :) ) what I have noticed is that it struggles to hold a lather on the second and third pass of the shave. :(

I'm hoping that it was just a bad lather, or perhaps I need to adjust my lathering style to suit this new brush, but I'm happy to listen to any sage advice. :)

I have a Kent silver tip brush, I had the same concerns about the lather but after a couple of weeks it holds a lot better and is now my luxury shaving brush.

Cost a lot more than yours though, seems a bargain that....must resist..

I have a Kent silver tip brush, I had the same concerns about the lather but after a couple of weeks it holds a lot better and is now my luxury shaving brush.

Cost a lot more than yours though, seems a bargain that....must resist..
I was looking for a while at alternatives, Kent being one of the main ones, but the price put me off a little, considering this was to be my first "real" brush and when I saw the one I finally settled on, I was pleasantly surprised at the cost, too :)

I've since used the brush again and I've found that after washing it with shampoo and conditioner and left overnight to air dry, it does seem to lather better than at first, but I did have to use almost twice the amount of shaving cream in the bowl, to build a decent lather.
I have now decided to purchase one of these bowls, which is slightly larger than the stainless steel one I'm using at the moment, so hopefully the larger bowl will help me build a decent lather with this brush. :)

19 quid for a shaving bowl. Jeebus!!!!! I bought a cappuccino cup from the pound shop which is a perfect size for lathering. Guess I'm just a cheapskate. Lol.

I got a bowl and a brush holder in one thing, it was only £5 off eBay, the bowl is small but makes a great lather.
I tend to face lather now with a bit of cream on the brush.
I did buy a wade spitfire shaving mug, but haven't used it, just looks the part on the window ledge.

I would rather get a small cereal bowl or large coffee cup from dunelm or poundland and put the money towards a quality soap e.g. nanny's, wickhams, p&b or osp.

These UK artisan soaps are truly world class, a bowl is just a bowl.

Anything by phoenix and beau. I'm exclusively using albion just now. Can't praise it highly enough. OSP, Nannys or wickhams 1812 all great too.

I got a bowl and a brush holder in one thing, it was only £5 off eBay, the bowl is small but makes a great lather.
I tend to face lather now with a bit of cream on the brush.
I did buy a wade spitfire shaving mug, but haven't used it, just looks the part on the window ledge.
When I got my Parker 65R, I got myself a stainless steel shaving bowl and a wire drip stand, but after using the new brush yesterday, I'm finding the bowl's a little too small for that particular brush, where it was adequate for my Body Shop synthetic brush. Add to the fact that I had to add twice as much shaving cream (T&H West Indian Limes) and the poor little bowl was struggling to say the least and I ended up with more foam on me than in the bowl lol

When I got my Parker 65R, I got myself a stainless steel shaving bowl and a wire drip stand, but after using the new brush yesterday, I'm finding the bowl's a little too small for that particular brush, where it was adequate for my Body Shop synthetic brush. Add to the fact that I had to add twice as much shaving cream (T&H West Indian Limes) and the poor little bowl was struggling to say the least and I ended up with more foam on me than in the bowl lol
Been there. Lol. Large cappuccino cup for 50p in B&M. It's the bollocks. Nice handle to hold onto and big enough for anything you can throw at it. Plenty for 3 passes plus a good cleanup.

Anything by phoenix and beau. I'm exclusively using albion just now. Can't praise it highly enough. OSP, Nannys or wickhams 1812 all great too.
Thanks may have a look at these, not like I need any though, I could give some to everyone in my street and still have enough for 10 years :confused:

Back
Top Bottom