New watch

A number of gentlemen on this forum have a love of watches, and I wonder if I might prevail upon them (and others) for their recommendations.

I would like to buy a special watch for a special occasion. I have an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (automatic movement) and would like something equivalent*. I would wear the watch interchangeably with my Omega as an everyday watch, and would probably stick to a similarly simple enduring styling.

Please feel free to share your thoughts, whether mainstream makers or less well-known craftsmen. I suspect this will be very helpful for me but fun for a fair few others.

Thanks

* I should explain the reference to 'equivalent': my intention is to gift my watches to my sons when they turn 18 or 21 (or whenever they get their first job and are capable of respecting the timepiece). Cost is not so much the measure of equivalence so much as quality, though I suspect some element of balance between these two would be inevitable.

I agree with the Rolex Explorer, however I would suggest a cheap(er) alternative like the Seiko SARB033 (around $300) with its Dauphine hands.

s_sarb033h_1024x1024.jpeg

Christopher Ward are nice watches. I have a Rapide, nice watch. But I do like my autos, I have two Orient, two Seiko Mini Monsters, two Eco-Drives, a few others two all battery ones. Favourite though has to big the Oris Big Crown. Today it's Orange Mini Monster day
4c02f6a6e49b1a9d8590dd20297c6251.jpg

Yup, thats a very nice and understated watch. Just a pity that some people may be a bit snobby over the brand. Not me, I have a Seiko automatic and even at only £60 it is possibly the best actual watch I own.
Seiko and Citizen make enough internals for so called designer watches, the quality of some are a little dubious, but a mid to high end branded Seiko will last a lifetime.

Christopher Ward are nice watches. I have a Rapide, nice watch. But I do like my autos, I have two Orient, two Seiko Mini Monsters, two Eco-Drives, a few others two all battery ones. Favourite though has to big the Oris Big Crown. Today it's Orange Mini Monster day

Saint - not sure that falls into the category of family heirloom.

Back
Top Bottom