Newbie here! Advice help anyone please :)

Canuck said:
and just tried the real shave co cream today from home bargains in glasgow and it is fantastic

Real Shaving Co cream = Creightons of Peterborough.
Truefitt and Hill cream = Creightons of Peterborough.

They're not quite the same cream (The T+H creams generally have a better fragrance but even that is dependent on point of view). It does however just prove the point that Creightons make good quality creams, they don't turn out rubbish.

i just had a look at their website. They have so many products! How does one possibly go about choosing which preshave cream to use and what shaving cream to you etc?

Crazy! :O

new2DE said:
Also ty for the kind offers on the razor blade front. Is there a safe way to go about this? I've never given my address to anyone on forums before and am a bit hesitant. How do I distinguish the psychopaths who want to kill me from the genuine people (not pointing fingers!)

Hi there,

Oh.......I like that psycopath part quite a bit, and you're right to be concerned. Yeah, there's more than a few members here just waiting to pounce on innocent new guys. Many of these types are members of the dreaded 'Enablers' group, a secret part of TSR with devious rituals and all that. There's an invisible part of the forum that you are unable to see, and that's where they hatch their plans and divide up the new meat.

Be very careful about giving any personal data away. Once these damn Enablers get their hooks in you, it's 'Coitins' (said in my best Brooklyn accent).

Martin

Oh yeah.......welcome to this place.

If I was starting again from afresh (and bear in mind I'm only a month in) I'd go for a Merkur, either 34C or 38C, a Vulfix 404 badger\boar mix, some Derby blades (or any of the Connaught samplers), some Palmolive shaving cream, Bulldog post shave cream and any AS or your choice.

That would be a pretty cheap, and very good, introduction to DE shaving

I have a Merkur heavy duty (otherwise known as the 34c) and it's quite an aggressive razor. In one way it's a great razor to learn with as it soon tells you when you've applied too much pressure/got the blade angle wrong/gone over the same spot once too often. Of course, some dislike it for that reason; it punishes mistakes more severely than a milder razor (such as the EJ) would.

I started out with the cheapy Wilkinson plastic razor (£8) with blades and a cheap brush and some cream. Just to get an idea.

Although I bought a couple of vintage razors (was too impatient to wait), I ended up with an EJ DE86 from Amazon (using the forum linky) along with an EJ pure badger brush. You will get a better shave, but you'll need to relearn how to shave.

Time and patience are your friends now.

Back
Top Bottom