News papers anyone?

I wonder how many of you still buy a daily paper, now I have a theory that most of us usually carry on from where our father's left off, in other words we usually read what was the daily paper in our house, well I was raised with my Grandfather and up until the start of the 2000 I only ever purchased the Western Mail my local paper that covers the whole of Wales basically, now since that time I've been pretty much able to read that paper on line everyday without cost, so obviously I've not purchased a paper since so with the ability to read almost anything for free does anyone still buy papers and why?

Jamie

I buy the Lancashire Evening Post most days of the week (something my father did) - a local paper for local people but with regards the tabloids I dont bother these days.
I find the online news sites a source of enough scandal and ladies breasts should I so desire.

Nothing in this house.

I watch the news headlines on BBC at 6pm just to see if the World has stopped spinning.

The jelly-headed f'wits I work with make sure I'm kept up to speed with EVERYTHING else ... whether I want to listen or not.

I haven't really time to read the paper during the week so I rely on the tele. I watch BBC Breakfast for about 20 mins at 6.15 most weekday mornings but that's about it. I'm not back in time for the 6 o'clock news and I'm in bed before 10. If I have to bring work home I'll often sit at the kitchen table to do it with Radio 4 in the background.

The weekend is a different matter. I pretty much always buy the weekend paper - mainly for the supplements. No particular loyalty. The Guardian/Observer, Telegraph or the FT are the three I've rotated ever since uni.

Radio 4 - every time I get into my car after Mrs Ted has been in it the wireless has been re-tuned to some damn pop station or other.
So out of spite one day I re-programmed all the pre-selects on the wireless in her car to Radio 4.
evil.gif

I used to get sent for the paper when I was young, and that has stayed with me. I like the act of going out for the paper probably more than reading the darned thing. And I sometimes send my sons out for me on the paper errand.

I gave up on the Tabloids ages ago and I prefer more local news from a paper, so when I do buy I get 'The Herald' and I buy the local weekly paper most weeks.

Up to the minute news I get from Twitter.

I don't tend to buy a paper anymore, the BBC app on my phone gives me a good overview and sometimes I'll read the sun online for the amusement factor.

Only exception to this is if i'm going doing a job that needs me gen'd up on current affairs, then i'll buy the smaller Times and The Week to get me up to standard.

I think papers will die out in time, it's just the way the world is going. Newsweek got rid of its paper version last week to concentrate on the online version and I think we'll see that continue with other titles... similarly I tried buying an Autotrader 2 weeks ago and had to try about 6 different newsagents before hearing that its circulation has fallen to about 10-20% of what it was 10 years ago and that it's virtually moved online.
I don't read papers myself, I generally don't have the time. The one exception is the local paper once a week when I have a pint on a Tuesday, just for something to read.
I have a look at BBC news online most days even if it's just a few minutes, and I read industry news papers to keep me up to speed on issues I need to know about for work but that's all I have time for.

I get the Telegraph and the Metro delivered every day to my Kindle, both free. I tend to read them either when I get to work if working in the local office, or I read them on the train if in the London office.

We get the Telegraph as a paper every Saturday as well as my Wife enjoys it.

We have a local evening paper as my mother likes to keep up-to-date with local news, and to check the "hatch, match & dispatch" section (births deaths and marriages, in case anyone hadn't worked that out already) She also used to get the Sunday Express, as she'd read it for donkeys years, but became annoyed at how it went downhill after Richard Desmond bought it. On my suggestion, we switched to the Observer, but, as I was the only one wo ever seemed to read a Sunday paper, we gave-up entirely.

Local nightly Echo in this house,and when I lived near Father Teds area it was the Lancashire Evening Post as well, A local paper for local people:dodgy:

Always had the Daily Mirror delivered when I lived with my parents (some 30 years ago). When I moved out I carried on the tradition until recently. In this day and age, what with the Internet and Sky news etc etc I now find the the newspapers somewhat redundant. I do however get the local gazette (to see whose been up to mischief).

Our local paper (The Herald Express) very unfortunately stopped being a daily around a year ago and is now only weekly. I still get it though.

As for the Sunday Times, I get the IPad version which is excellent.

Fido said:
It's the i for me. Great value at 20p, not too sensational and just enough info.

I agree!

I currently getting the Guardian on Kindle (£10 per month)... but I'm finding the news a bit too depressing... although I quite like the comments pages.

I'm trying to get into the habit of going out and picking up the i first thing... good bit of exercise, too. Worked well until the rain started again.

Back
Top Bottom