Next Project - Gillette Flare Tip

Right I've got a bit of time to get on with this today, not sure how far I'll get before I need to do some real work, but I'll try and get it finished!

The first stage was to give it a good spin in the ultrasonic cleaner I bought From Lidl yesterday. Seriously great bit of kit, first time I've used one and it's going to save me hours of laborious cleaning between the prep stages. It's done an amazing job at getting in all the hard to reach places, the places that before I was having to use dental floss and the like to try and clean. So here is is after its bath.

For this particular resto I've decided to strip the razor down a bit. It's not strictly necessary, I've done these with good success assembled, but I figured why not!

So the first stage is to close up the razor doors all the way.

This means the shaft of the door mechanism is now at its lowest point in the handle, meaning it should be easy for us to get at the retaining split ring on the end of it. You can see it in the pic below.

So now what we need to do is gently spread that split ring to release it from its groove on the shaft. I used two fine pointed screw drivers for this. It's a bit fiddly as you get in your own way so can't see what you're actually doing! However, a bit of patience and some gentle swearing and it should be possible to splay the ring and remove it.

Here's the split ring removed.

Now all we need to do is turn the TTO knob to open the doors, this will move the shaft along the thread in the TTO handle and then we can simply remove the whole door assembly.

So now we have a three piece Flair Tip!

Right I need to do go and get a few supplies sorted for the next stage, back in a bit.

Looking good! From my experience of using other people, it's all in the prep. A stripped down, polished up razor will look better than new.

Look forward to seeing it done!

Dipesh said:
Looking good! From my experience of using other people, it's all in the prep. A stripped down, polished up razor will look better than new.

Look forward to seeing it done!

Nico1970 said:
Cool.

Looking forward to seeing this thread develop...

mikemorton said:
Wow, please keep this coming Hippo. It's going to be another superb transformation.

Thanks guys :)

Well time for a bit more, not going to get it finished today I'm afraid though :( Oh well! It'll give me something to look forward to :)

So here's what I had to pop out and get......hopefully the secret weapon in razor head removal! Actually to be fair it wasn't my idea, I saw it somewhere and was very impressed, let's hope it works!

So here's the theory. Remove the olive from the joint and put it back together.

We can now use it as a kind of spreader :)

PI placed a couple of nylon washers over the razor handle to protect the head.

Then placed our cunning spreader over.

Wrapped the exposed end of the handle in cloth to save it from the jaws the vice, (officially the smallest vice in the world, I'll treat myself to a proper one after Christmas!).

Then I clamped the whole lot up very tight and then expanded our little spreader, which as long as the clamp holds the razor in place should pop the head of with no drama!

And thankfully that's exactly what happened! The head is now safely removed from the tube of the handle.

So here's what we've got so far....

Next stage is to remove the doors from their carrier. Just a simple case of gently prizing them out with a suitably sized flat screw driver.

So here's what we're left with.

Unfortunately that's all I've got time for today, I've turned the dining room into a cross between a workshop and a photographic studio and I need to get it all cleared before SWMBO gets back from work!!! Also I need to work out a way of clamping up the razor to remove the TTO knob. Back soon :)

Fantastic to see history being preserved, no matter what it is. We have a very much disposable mindset in modern society and I for one, do not care for it. I love the vintage Gillettes and with this sort of care, who knows how much longer they will last. Great job Hippo!

Wha burst the ba said:
Fine work. Does that all get prepped and plated seperately?

I see how there's a lot of time involved now.

Yep, once it's all apart I'll start work with the wet and dry and then a dam good polish, then it'll be treated to some time in the ultrasonic cleaner. Then as long as it's clean enough it'll head to the various chemical and plating tanks. It'll be plated in bits, I'll then put it all back together, VERY carefully :)

Gordy said:
Fantastic to see history being preserved, no matter what it is. We have a very much disposable mindset in modern society and I for one, do not care for it. I love the vintage Gillettes and with this sort of care, who knows how much longer they will last. Great job Hippo!

Thanks Gordy, totally agree with you on the preservation issue, I keep trying to tell my kids to try and fix things rather than just throwing them away.

Yes these Gillette are certainly lovely to work with, great build quality :)

Roy_Drage said:
Excellent work, it's great that you have taken the time to photograph and explain each step. Thanks very much I look forward to seeing the end result. Cheers.

UKRob said:
Not just a good explanation but great photos as well.

Thanks guys, itching to get going but the good lady had me on DIY duties today and tomorrow would you believe it? I've got to go to work!!! Stay tuned for Wednesday :)

Back
Top Bottom