Next Project - Gillette Flare Tip

Right! Finally got some time!

So where were we? Right, TTO knob removal.

First stage is to make sure everything is nicely taped to protect it.

Then clamp the handle firmly in a vice, or you father-in-law's work bench (must give it back at some point!). It's important to make sure that the TTO knob is free of the vice/workbench though. Then with a suitable size drift (I think that's the correct term for the metal punchy thing) it's a case of knocking the TTO knob off from the inside as it were.

Then remove the tape.

And hey presto one totally disassembled Flare Tip ready for another session in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Roy_Drage said:
Nice work again. It looks pretty clean already should really good when finished.

Right, finally the next stage. I promised the family no work or playing with Razors over Christmas and New Year, so sorry for the break!

Anyway, here it is in its new nickel suit.

Just needs putting back together now, so I'd better get on with it then!

Gordy said:
Glad to see you back Simon. Hope you'd a good holiday! [emoji106]

Thanks Gordy, yeah very restful, although I've been itching to get back in the workshop, so much to do! :)

Roy_Drage said:
As anticipated that has turned out really nice. Congratulations.

Thanks Roy :) Now all I have to do it put it all back together!

So here we go! First stage is to refit the TTO knob into the handle.

So we very carefully line it up in the jars or the work mate, making sure it's all squared up.

And then gently turn the jaws to pop the knob into the handle, it makes a nice satisfying "pop" as it seats itself.

So there we have it, a handle with a nicer freely spinning TTO knob :)

Next the same procedure with the head.

Again we need to pay very careful attention to making sure everything is lined up so all the forces act in the correct direction.

Then get squeezing!

Nearly there....

And done, head nicely and most importantly, snugly back in the handle.

Now it's time for the doors ( I desperately want to make some silly "Riders on a Storm" joke, but I won't!).

Once they're done it's just a simple case of sliding the whole silo assembly back into the handle.

And twisting the TTO knob to seat them properly :)

Nice work Simon. Having first hand experience of your artistry, it's good to see exactly what you have to do to get it to the level you do. It also shows how well made they were in the first place!

Wonderful work and thoroughly interesting post. You've become quite the master restorer, sir. Like yon thumb rings too....

Fantastic stuff. With the right tools, patience, skill and a fine eye for detail it's great what you can do.

And due to my complete lack of any of the above that's why I'll never attempt it! Again - Fantastic stuff.

Its really cool to be able to see a razor stripped down, I've seen old patents with blow up diagrams which are great to see but its so much better photographed.

Great work the razor looks beautiful.

Gordy said:
Nice work Simon. Having first hand experience of your artistry, it's good to see exactly what you have to do to get it to the level you do. It also shows how well made they were in the first place!

Thanks Gordy, they are indeed very nicely made :)

Back
Top Bottom