Noob with sensitive skin

Hi and welcome. My personal piece of advice for sensitive skin would be to use the minimum number of products and resist the temptation of trying many different soaps, creams, post-shave treatments, etc. too quickly. Concentrate on your technique, and by only slowly introducing new products will you know whether any irritation is a result of poor technique or an allergy to a particular product. Same goes for blades.

As far as Techs, keep an eye on the BST section of the forum. They show up regularly.

Good luck on your journey :)

Welcome! As others have hinted, it may be that your skin is perfectly normal; many newcomers to DE shaving think they have sensitivity to all manner of things, but it's usually down to them having previously used canned foam and poor prep.

Good advice from Chris and FrankieG - however there are some products or ingredients that do appear to crop up regularly in terms of sensitivity:

Mitchells Wool Fat Soap - is one of quite a few that contains lanolin which affects some people. I got a (relatively mild) reaction to MWF but not with other soaps that I know contain lanolin so maybe it's down to the concentration.

Lavender essential oil also figures quite often in problem posts so look out for this when considering what to buy. What you could do is request some samples of MWF and Lavender soaps before buying the full size

Hi and welcome from someone who thought he had sensitive skin.

Turns out I just needed to be de shaving for the sensitivity to all but disappear.

I personally find an open comb (Gillette or 7 o'clock NEW) or a slant Merkur 37c give me the best shaves, for preference combined with a Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade.

I also use Proraso white or MWF for lathering, but since discovering just how sensitive my skin actually is I find almost any combination of soap/razor/blade gives me great shaves.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the tips. I don't think I'm banned! I just don't get postcounts for posting on this forum, as HoneyMonster says.

I'm sure I'll have a tonne of questions once I finally get to using a DE blade, sounds like I came to the right place :)

The Rapira Swedish Supersteel is one of the blade brands included in your welcome pack, as recommended by honismart
honismart said:
I personally find an open comb (Gillette or 7 o'clock NEW) or a slant Merkur 37c give me the best shaves, for preference combined with a Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade.
Along with my choice, the trusty ever-reliable Sharks, and a couple of unbranded Personnas.
The brush is a giant horse-hair brush, originally from Leslie145 who kindly sent it to me.
Any questions, please ask, you know where we are.

Welcome to the forum Jim - they're a great bunch of people with a lot of experience & advice to share. Check out the BST for Losethebeard's DE starter pack of blades - along with the razor itself, the blade is one of the most individual items; what suits some people, won't suit others, so LTB's starter pack is a great & very reasonable way to try various types.

Again, welcome

Back
Top Bottom