Now this is a Boadger

I know many of you are fans of the Vulfix 404 "The Grosvernor" Bristle/Badger aka The Boadger, personally I'not. Mainly because of it's advertising, Bristle and Badger, and nowhere is it ever mentioned what percentages of each one. That creates certain expectations, enter YMMV right about here, and the brush just didn't live up to mine. It's a boar brush, a great boar brush with a great handle and maybe a dozen badger hairs, all of them in the outer ring of the knot, that almost seem to be there by mistake! (just conveying my opinion, YMMV and the likes, it's a great brush it's just not for me)

Some time ago, it was reported that a custom Semogue was being made for the brother forums, Barbear Clássico and Foro Afeitado, and it would be a mixed Boar/Badger at a 50/50 percentage, half two band hair (similar to the SOC2) half premium boar 90% TOPS (same as the 1305), 24mm knot and a 50mm loft! It's name would be Caravela (Caravel in English).
Semogue already had a bodger model, the 1530, and it wasn't regarded as very good, so we would just have to wait and see...
Last friday, July 10, Portugal's National Day (coincidence), I woke up to these images and rushed to buy it. Yesterday it arrived, and it's even lovelier than in the pictures!

Fresh out of the box
dsc01113gd.jpg

Number and inscription
dsc01111uv.jpg

After 3 test lathers
dsc01116l.jpg

And from above
dsc01117ng.jpg

Now this is a boadger!

Fido said:
Nice brush. Enjoy!
Something I have often wondered is the name on Semogue brushes.
Who or what is Excelsior ?

Thanks Peter! I hope you are trying one for your blog, after all you are a member of Foro Afeitado! (BTW we would love to have you on Barbear Clássico)

I've read, although I would not call this a anything but a theory and perhaps Teiste could later share some light on the matter, that the company uses two denominations in their brushes, Semogue for the cheaper, mass market brushes and Excelsior for the more specialized, more expensive brushes to a more connoisseur target. But I have not read anything from the company itself confirming this!

Yes I've wondered that too Peter. It's on my 1305 which isn't exactly pricey, so rntdcarvalho's theory doesn't seem to be correct. I expect Teiste will spot this thread soon and hopefully enlighten us.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment of the 404 Bodger, it is a bit of a bodge but it' is a £10 bodge so your expectations really shouldn't have been so high. YMMV ;)

I refer you to definition No 3 & 4.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bodger">http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bodger</a><!-- m -->

Nice brush.

antdad said:
You are absolutely correct in your assessment of the 404 Bodger, it is a bit of a bodge but it' is a £10 bodge so your expectations really shouldn't have been so high. YMMV ;)

Thanks antdad! It's a little more in Portugal (17€ delivered) but you are right, and I hope that when reading the above people understand that my disappointment is more do to my high expectations than the quality of the 404, as was my intention!

Pig Cat said:
Yes I've wondered that too Peter. It's on my 1305 which isn't exactly pricey, so rntdcarvalho's theory doesn't seem to be correct. I expect Teiste will spot this thread soon and hopefully enlighten us.

I'm referring to the less than 5€ models with the plastic ring instead of the aluminum one like your 1305, that you can find in stores in Portugal. Like these:

dfd144e7.jpg

But as you can see one of them has a Excelsior sticker as well! I've never believed that theory myself! :cool:

For what I understand 'Excelsior" was the top line of brushes made by Mr Gomes father ,who gave them that denomination (both in badger and boar).However,with time,Semogue used the label "Excelsior" for a large range of brushes,even some "cheap" ones but that were pretty good in performance under the eyes of the Gomes father and son.Now its apply under the labels "Excelsior Texugo" (badger) and "Excelsior cerda pura" (boar) to the mayority of the shaving brushes made by Semogue.

The Caravela its such a superb brush.I have been using the M&F blonde badger and the SIMFIX super badger two band,as well as the Vie Long,New Forest two band badgers,and this one its so close in performance to all of those,and it has even softer tips than the SIMFIX one.Of course its a blend of finest badger hair and quaility boar hair,but that mix surpass the one use by Vulfix for the 404,in density and quality ( I dont think that the 404 has more than 10 per cent of pure badger hair on the brush,while this one has 50% of finest badger hair).

Well done,once again, for Mr Gomes!OBRIGADO Mestre Gomes!

Regarding the name, there´s also another theory about the "semogue" name being licensed and protected by another company(nothing to do with brushes) and it kinda makes sense...

Islander said:
Regarding the name, there´s also another theory about the "semogue" name being licensed and protected by another company(nothing to do with brushes) and it kinda makes sense...
You already know that the name Semogue is "EuGomes" (I Gomes) spell it backwards.I heard something about a co. called Semogue too (not relate it to wet shaving ) long time ago,but I havent figure out or asked what was the deal with it.I should ask and Ill let you know gents.

Teiste said:
Islander said:
You already know that the name Semogue is "EuGomes" (I Gomes) spell it backwards.I heard something about a co. called Semogue too (not relate it to wet shaving ) long time ago,but I havent figure out or asked what was the deal with it.I should ask and Ill let you know gents.

Do you know about the 'Excelsior' logo too?

Pig Cat said:
Teiste said:
Islander said:

Do you know about the 'Excelsior' logo too?
What do you mean?its origins? :?:

Back
Top Bottom