Old Spice Burley

I picked this 28cc bottle of Old Spice Burley up recently at a fairly modest price as I was looking to experience other vintage Old Spice scents beyond the ubiquitous (and of course legendary) Original Scent.

It's a tiny little glass bottle at only 28cc (28ml in new money, metric fans) so must have been a sample size back in the day.

First impressions are positive but not completely overwhelming - it's a smoky scent, no question about it, but not overly strong as I sniff the bottle. There's also no discernible 'Old Spice' scent - in a blindfold test, I definitely would not pick this as a relation to Old Spice Original.

Next up, I try a couple of splashes on the hands, rub them together and inhale - things start to get really interesting. This is full fat stuff; like Tabac OD'd on fags, booze and women. It is a hedonistic assault on the senses - it is simply unreal. Where Tabac is sweet, Burley has no such niceties to take the edge off the billiard room smoke. This is the real deal and no mistake - none of your 'watered down' coke zero here.

I go for the full monty, five splashes onto the hands (remember I've only got 28ml to play with folks!) and then on to the face. More tobacco smoke, much more, like stepping back in time to the early '70's when everyone smoked like a bastard.

Is it long lasting? Well, I can still smell it 3 hours after application - granted, I haven't been outside exposed to the bracing north wind - but that's pretty good for an aftershave.

Like a drug, I just have to get more of this stuff....

AND there's the cologne...

@pjgh - Paul, you're right about the old / vintage scents. I fear I've touched the devil and can't let go now. I've just spent the last 15mins on flea bay adding a number of old aftershaves / colognes to my watch list...o_O

EDIT - Old Spice Burley Cologne over 100 notes here. FFS...:(

Thanks for taking me back to some happy early 1970s memories Nico, when Burley was a go to for me. Only note missing from the sampler you've got is the keen, edge note I recall it having, which neither Original or Lime had. Difficult to describe, but it was almost a citrus tone cutting through the darker background. Loved that stuff.

JohnnyO. o/

Thanks @JohnnyO - great to hear from an original user! On reflection, you're right about the citrus note although I think it has (in this case) diminished a little over time. Probably not unexpectedly as the tobacco smoky scent is incredibly powerful.

I've also just bagged the cologne version of Burley (happy to report, not the aforementioned one at over £100 quid). It will be interesting to see if it is stronger and longer-lasting than the AS.

I'm also on the look out for Old Spice Lime and Old Spice Musk! There are one or two still out there, but they command fairly high prices...

I'm also on the look out for Old Spice Lime and Old Spice Musk! There are one or two still out there, but they command fairly high prices...
Both of those are still available as currently produced Shulton scents from India. eBay is the place to look for those. I can't comment on the Musk, as the seller I purchased mine from flaked out and never sent it (going through eBay's buyer protection process now) but the Fresh Lime is better than the vintage stuff (in my opinion). Citrus scents don't typically age very well, and the Lime scent is almost non-existant in my vintage bottle. It's quite strong in the modern fragrance though.

Don't forget about old spice Leather. If you are hunting for old spice fragrances, you might as well collect them all. :)

Edit: If you want to try a real classic, be on the lookout for Farina Gegenūber Russian Leather. They've been making it for a couple hundred years now. There's also Farina Gegenūber Eau de Cologne Originale. Still made in the city of Cologne since 1709. Scent description for the original Eau De Cologne is a mix of neroli oil, bergamot, lavender and rosemary.
https://farina1709.de/en/index

Last edited:
Far as I recall Old Spice had the surfer on their TV advert at that time to the sound of Carmina Burana . Somehow can't quite imagine Ol 'Enry splashing on the Brut to classical music.

JohnnyO. o/
You are totally right!,I remember the first time I watched 'The Omen' and said,"That's the Old Spice music"! (O'Fortuna,I think!) it will always be the OS music to me mind!.
And can you remember the Brut ad with Henry Cooper and Kevin Keegan in the shower?...Well dodgy that one was!.
Also,the Denim ad caused a few sniggers....'The Mark of a Man'...LOL!.

I had thought that " The Mark of a Man " was Old Spice whilst Denim was " For Men Who Don't Have to Try too Hard ". But I'm afraid the old memory may be letting me down now.

JohnnyO. o/

Needed the Old Spice of vintageness today to try and break the mad mental minefield spiral. Splashed on a goodly amount of the Shulton Cologne then went for a long walk with Foo Fighter's 'Walk' ringing in my ears. Helped no end....:D

If had the money, I could easily disappear down the vintage scents rabbit hole. All the different Shulton Old Spice variants and that other heavenly yet hedonistic potion - the original formulation of Givenchy Xeryus. Manly stuff is that.

Have tried the Indian Old Spice Lime and have to say, I really liked it. Better to my nose than the current plain OS. Good longevity too.

Back
Top Bottom