Old Spice Burley

If you are hunting for old spice fragrances, you might as well collect them all. :)

Along that line there's a few Old Spice items stuck waaaay back in the arsenal and one example is a trio of NIB deodorant sticks in various flavors. They're 3 3/4 ounces and come in Original, Fresh, and Lime, with all of em having plenty of scent going on. Hah, one of my goofier estate sale treasures, they would I guess date to the 80s.

Martin

Last edited:
I picked this 28cc bottle of Old Spice Burley up recently at a fairly modest price as I was looking to experience other vintage Old Spice scents beyond the ubiquitous (and of course legendary) Original Scent.

It's a tiny little glass bottle at only 28cc (28ml in new money, metric fans) so must have been a sample size back in the day.

First impressions are positive but not completely overwhelming - it's a smoky scent, no question about it, but not overly strong as I sniff the bottle. There's also no discernible 'Old Spice' scent - in a blindfold test, I definitely would not pick this as a relation to Old Spice Original.

Next up, I try a couple of splashes on the hands, rub them together and inhale - things start to get really interesting. This is full fat stuff; like Tabac OD'd on fags, booze and women. It is a hedonistic assault on the senses - it is simply unreal. Where Tabac is sweet, Burley has no such niceties to take the edge off the billiard room smoke. This is the real deal and no mistake - none of your 'watered down' coke zero here.

I go for the full monty, five splashes onto the hands (remember I've only got 28ml to play with folks!) and then on to the face. More tobacco smoke, much more, like stepping back in time to the early '70's when everyone smoked like a bastard.

Is it long lasting? Well, I can still smell it 3 hours after application - granted, I haven't been outside exposed to the bracing north wind - but that's pretty good for an aftershave.

Like a drug, I just have to get more of this stuff....

AND there's the cologne...

Great to hear Old Spice Burley being appreciated! Took the plunge on it last year and it's dynamite! Finally found my signature scent. It may very well smell like The Winchester in Minder. The Indian made OS Original, Lime (and I trust) Musk stay true to the Shulton Classic formulas, so it's way overdue they should reproduce Burley. Whaddaya say fellas?!

Cheers Nico, yes I did indeed. £15 plus £4 p+p. Also got a box with cologne, AS,(each 4.75 fl oz) Talc, Spray deo, and soap on a rope) a bit expensive but I couldn't help myself. Yep..... "The Devil made me do it!":)

Last edited:
Great finds when you can get them fella! Just love the scent. Picked up (very fortunately I might add) these gems earlier this year, both boxes unused.
The brown plastic AS bottle smells dynamite, as do the rest.image.jpeg

Does anyone know anything about "Burley by David Ross of London"?

$_57.JPG

I recently purchased some aftershave of the same name and, happily, I can report the scent is as near as dammit as the real deal Old Spice version - maybe not just as 'smoky', but it's a close call.

Back
Top Bottom