Palmolive stick

As i'm usually a cold water shaver i tried to get a good thick lather today using the stick and failed, is anyone else having a problem building lather this way with palmolive?.

Gravy said:
I'm a cold water shaver.

Not had any problems face lathering with Palmolive or any of the other sticks I've used.

I wet face with cold water and rubbed the stick all over the face and neck, squeezed out the cold water soaked boar brush and proceed to build lather, adding water slowly by dipping brush tips as needed.

Would you like to share how you do it.

Re: RE: Palmolive stick

Futur shaver said:
Gravy said:
I'm a cold water shaver.

Not had any problems face lathering with Palmolive or any of the other sticks I've used.

I wet face with cold water and rubbed the stick all over the face and neck, squeezed out the cold water soaked boar brush and proceed to build lather, adding water slowly by dipping brush tips as needed.

Pretty much the same as you.

- splash face with cold water
- rub dry soap stick over whiskers, enough to see a thin layer of soap
- take badger brush out of sink where its been soaking in cold water, give it a couple of shakes so it is still quite wet
- rub brush around face until I produce a nice lather (dip tips of brush in cold water if needed)

That will normally get me enough lather for 2 passes and plenty to spare.

Its probably not enough soap or the brush being too dry to start with, causing you problems i'd have thought.

Gravy said:
Futur shaver said:
Gravy said:
I'm a cold water shaver.

- take badger brush out of sink where its been soaking in cold water, give it a couple of shakes so it is still quite wet
- rub brush around face until I produce a nice lather (dip tips of brush in cold water if needed)

Its probably not enough soap or the brush being too dry to start with, causing you problems i'd have thought.
Yeah i did squeez all wayer out then shook it, do you soak the soap too?

Gravy said:
Futur shaver said:
Gravy said:
I'm a cold water shaver.

Yeah i did squeez all water out then shook it so that could have been it i suppose.
I'll try my badger brush next time instead of the boar, that might do it.

My method:

Soak brush, then remove and briefly squeeze. Wet end of soap.
Splash face, then mostly dry.
Wet end of soap and apply to face, re-dipping tip of soap as necessary.
Lather as usual, dipping brush tips three or four times as required.

This works for me with cold water and with any of my sticks.

Dr Rick said:
My method:

Soak brush, then remove and briefly squeeze. Wet end of soap.
Splash face, then mostly dry.
Wet end of soap and apply to face, re-dipping tip of soap as necessary.
Lather as usual, dipping brush tips three or four times as required.

This works for me with cold water and with any of my sticks.

Thanks Doc,
What brush, badger or boar?

Almost exclusively badger in use here these days (one horse), but it used to work done with a Vulfix 404 and even reasonably with a body shop synthetic.

Just for the hell of it i lathered up last night with palmolive and warm/hot water.
Had one days worth of growth for the stick to bite into and it went like this.

Soak tip of palmolive and my synthetic badger brush in warm water whilst i rinse the face with warm to hot water.
Take palmolive stick and rub all over face to ensure a nice even coat.
Take the badger brush and lightly shake excess water out and begine to build lather dipping the brush tips in warm water a few more times.
Result was lots and lots of rich creamy lather:)

Now, to try to get the same result with cold water.

Funny that it doesn't seem to work as well in cold water. I had my first cold water shave last night, but I used Arko & had no problems with getting a good lather. Did the same as others here by just wetting the face first then on with the stick.

I'll try my Palmolive stick tomorrow & see how that goes.

Wanderlust167 said:
Funny that it doesn't seem to work as well in cold water. I had my first cold water shave last night, but I used Arko & had no problems with getting a good lather. Did the same as others here by just wetting the face first then on with the stick.

I'll try my Palmolive stick tomorrow & see how that goes.

Yeah but i also heard Arco will lather even if you stare at wrongly Lol
Will try again with cold water tonight.

Back
Top Bottom