Active Pass Around: Fatboy

Hi.

Congrats to @Borygmi on the baby girl.

Looks like current list is
1.Borygm (next)
2..........?
So get your name down and give it ago.

I've never used a decent razor yet although I have a yaqi final cut I bought off here and am yet to try. These last few weeks I've been so busy (excuses) and haven't had time to mess, so been grabbing what's familiar which is a knock off merkur futur adjustable. I've managed to shave several times without cutting myself but I had to laugh. I was so chuffed with my shave I was riding high. Got electric tooth brush going to clean teeth, but head fell off and I stabbed myself under my nose with the oscillating shaft. Blood poured out!
Only I could do that although I read that a few people a year do swallow tooth brushes? That's probably worse! Still you have to wonder how?

Thanks all! It’s a fun kind of chaos and we’re now outnumbered by children!

Finding time for anything extra (including shaving!) is tricky but it’s all part of the fun.

Looking forward to my turn with this classic!

Just had the first try with fatboy and omg. It's so good vs my cheapo razors. A real difference in the shave. Because I've got 4 days growth (weekend) and a bit of a cold I've been planning a Sunday evening bath and shave, vs the my quick showers in the past week (cost of living ect) and not felling 100%. Don't mention covid as I've had that twice already! But this is a cold in summer. Hum!
Anyway. I never wet electric first to get the growth off, so just went for fatboy on 5 which was a mistake I was happy to make. Just wanted to give it ago.
Brilliant. Could of left it at that however more soap and and a pass on 1 and I cut myself twice. Turned up to 3 and no problem so not sure where I went wrong.
Think user excitement maybe and it's a shorter handle than I'm used to.
I'll shave again Tuesday on lower setting with less growth I think. Need to go again starting with a 3. Then I'll try a 1 again taking a bit more care.
To sum up. Definitely see the difference in a quality razor although I personally prefer a longer handle to hold like im used to (insert your own jokes here)
But straight away I could tell the shave was so much better.
I'll report again after a few more shaves. Razor was wiped off and tiny drops of barbers mineral oil on and now sat on bedside cabinet to air. I'll box up later.
I oil my own every 3 shaves or so plus keep clean. Is that the right thing to do?

W

I now dip any razor I have received used in Barbicide on receipt and before I pass it on, but in between I just use a toothbrush and some antibac hand soap like Carex or similar to keep water spots and soap deposits away, then dry with a soft cloth. I had that Fatboy for a while and loved it (props to whoever sent it out and still hasn't got it back years later!)

I bought my NOS Slim on the basis of having tried that FB. Glad you're liking it.

I'm the current holder of the fatboy. I'll give it ago for another week and move on to next person.
I'm struggling a bit with it. First pass today was fine. Lathered up and turned to one and sliced my face off. Im fine on 5 and 3 but not anything under that I look like Halloween! Switched blade brands but still no joy. I don't like the short handle either.
I do like the 5 and 3 setting though so will stick with that with a good soap. Best shave I've had so far. Whoever is next I'll message in a week to arrange postage. Good to try though and I recommend giving it ago for interest.

Just had my final shave with fatboy
I'll pass on now.
First pass on 3.
Second on 2

Perfect. Not a nick and baby smooth.
Used astra blade as I find them best for myself across all my razors.
I'm not putting on setting number one though ha. Just not for me with this one. I think its probably the angle I'm holding it that's wrong, and with more time I'd probably sort that but number 2 is perfect for me to finish.

I'm sad to give it up now as my best shave and love the rasor. Would like a longer handle but I've adapted to it now with no problems.

Thanks to forum for the opportunity to try this iconic rasor. Been a highlight of the year for me and I won't forget it.
Wet and dirty picture having just finished.

Oh. I never used alum block. No need. I did use Harry's balm to finish not pictured I bought from morrisons.
Get your name down to try if you haven't.

Thanks

W

Just had my final shave with fatboy

Used astra blade as I find them best for myself across all my razors.
I like an Astra SP in these too.
Would like a longer handle but I've adapted to it now with no problems.
The Slim has a slightly longer handle. It's deceptive because the handle on the Fatboy is, er, fat, whereas the Slim.. Yeah. In pictures the Slim looks a lot longer because of this. In reality it is 2 or 3mm longer. If that's enough extra length then try to get one. Fatboys are great, and sought after due to there only being 3 years of production. Slims were supposed to be an upgrade and ran for 7 years.

There was a fatboy with fault along with another razor on ebay. I bailed early as not keen to buy and get another project going at the moment.
But for the money it was cheap imo? Am I correct.....
Prices are rising for a working fatboy.
Maybe going off topic here as not correct place to chat?

Anyway.

Don't think there are any new names on list to try.

Good time to get name down

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom