Active Pass Around: Fatboy

SHHHHEEEEEESSSSHHHHHH
She's still out in thew wild then lol.
I haven't been about for 12 years and returned today (No idea why I stopped hanging out - well thats a lie it was costing me toooooo much money) only to see this thread still active and people still getting to try this great bit of kit :)
Sounds like you’re feeling nostalgic and might want another shot of the Fatboy! It’s currently residing with me waiting to move on to another fine and upstanding TSR member! I may even chuck in a soap set to tempt…

Hiya,

Many DE razors have skated around on my face and the Fatboy type is still my favorite. Fits me about perfect, with lots of other razors having their own charms as well. Something about the somewhat different angle of attack with that earlier slightly domed head not being found in many other Gillettes. Certainly not a Slim or Super Adjustable or any super speeds. Nothing like any Merkur head either, although all of those can be excellent shavers.

So yeah, it's the same piece of art from a while back. It was in great shaving condition with no weird blade gaps and looked pretty good, plus the adjuster was ok. Hehe, occasionally a member will give it a tune up and polish and it's kinda like the very old Timex watch advert about " It takes a licking and keeps on ticking".Not bad for a razor made in the Baby Boomer era.

Not a razor for the extremely aggressive razor fans who like more bite than most. Even set at highest setting it's nowhere near some Merkur adjustables face flaying abilities for example.

Glad to see a smidge of activity here again and thanks to the Fatboy caretaker and those other fence knocking off comments.

Martin

That's absolutely correct! Did I mention the razor was owned by Winston Churchill? You guys need to try this razor because of it's provenance if nothing else.
Lest anyone think this is a serious post, Winston Churchill is known to have used an Autostrop razor. His nephew also wrote that he used a Rolls Razor, and there is also a claim floating around that a Rolls was always sitting on his desk... Which is false. Winston Churchill himself only ever mentioned using an Autostrop.

But if he'd used a Fatboy, it would have cured him of his obsession with single edge razors. :p

Last edited:
Is this pass-around still going? Would love to try the fabled Fatboy, and compare to my Slim (which is about to be BST'd once I hit 30 messages, due to lack of use). It is a thing of absolute beauty, but not worth it sitting in a drawer 360 days a year.

Is this pass-around still going? Would love to try the fabled Fatboy, and compare to my Slim (which is about to be BST'd once I hit 30 messages, due to lack of use). It is a thing of absolute beauty, but not worth it sitting in a drawer 360 days a year.
Most definitely still active! The fatboy has been residing with me for sometime but is definitely yearning for a new home. Once one of our esteemed senior members has greenlighted you (usually after at least 30 posts and some SOTDs etc) I’d be happy to pass it on to you.

It’s a fine razor that has been a privilege to try!

Reactions: BBS
Most definitely still active! The fatboy has been residing with me for sometime but is definitely yearning for a new home. Once one of our esteemed senior members has greenlighted you (usually after at least 30 posts and some SOTDs etc) I’d be happy to pass it on to you.

It’s a fine razor that has been a privilege to try!
Amazing, thanks (both). I'll DM you. First PIF/passaround in a decade of Badgering and Blading etc!

Re-read that a little less over-enthusiastically!.Luckily this is my 30th post! I can't believe a passaround has gone for 12 years, and via a donation from the OP. That's awesome, and a great thread to dip into. Hoping to see that frequent flier get to Glasgow one day soon

The Fatboy plus bags of blades and soap samples showed up today. Fun times ahead! Razor feels and looks lovely and I’ll test it tonight.

Was a real red letter day, as along with it, my Nanny’s Silly Soap cream and generous sample of Moroccan Sands soap arrived, AND my blade sample of Wizamets. At least they weren’t duplicated in the passaround! The NSS Moroccan Sands sample smells intoxicating - likely the best smelling soap I’ve ever smelt. And strong too.

Attachments

• IMG_8642.jpeg
    IMG_8642.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 17
The Fatboy plus bags of blades and soap samples showed up today. Fun times ahead! Razor feels and looks lovely and I’ll test it tonight.
Hiya doin,

Remember to tighten that last 1/4 turn to lock the blade and have fun!

Glad to see the razor on the move once again and thanks to Borygmi for being the caretaker.

Martin

Last edited:
First impressions are of a great razor - no surprise! I had a 60’s slim adjustable until this week when I sold it on, so I knew broadly what I was getting, the extra heft/shorter handle felt good, and pretty similar to my heavier stainless steel Timeless. I opted for a setting of 6 and went at it. A lovely ‘safe’ and simple shave, above my expectations for a new razor and a brand new soap and blade. Will crank up to 7 on Sunday but I expect to end up at 8-9 as I like to chase the perfect bbs. Thanks for the chance to try it out! Will post SOTD shortly.

@semi - count yourself top of the list in line to try it!

Razor continues to perform. 7 felt no different to 6, so next stop is cranking it up to 9!

What’s great is that it feels foolproof to get good angle, shave and results, with no need to concentrate. Also looking forward to trying some of the blades in the box too. Today I put the Fatboy blade into my Slant as I had 4 days growth to mow down, and it proved the Wizamets I’m testing in the Fatboy are indeed excellent. Will put it back into Fatty. Have agreed with the next tester - semi - to hand over the week after next - turns out we are practically neighbours!

I think I tried this passaround many years ago and not long after bought a cosmetically poor one and got it replated. I paid £30 back in about 2011 and a little more than that for gold plating. It's still my got-to razor, and the only one that I have second one of (an original plating model with case, instructions and blades).
That head shape really works for me on settings 5-7, and the weight, balance, length and thickness all seem just right to me.

Back
Top Bottom