Pass Around: Merkur Slant (enchanted)

I received the slant this morning. Tabac and Neep Silvertip at the ready for a shave this evening.

Love the way a slant looks. If it shaves as well as it looks I'll be happy.

Btw, thanks dodgy.

Just had a shave.

I was expecting a slanty-toothed tiger, but his Merkur is a pussycat!

It's the quitest razor I've used; one gets the sensation of hairs being sliced rather than chopped. Loaded with a Derby it's also smooth as poop from a duck's ass. I didn't especially like the Derby in my DE89, but it works a treat in the slant.

I was confident enouh to try an ATG as my 4th pass. The result was a BBS with very little irritation, no nicks and no red bumps. My skin feels a bit sensitive post shave, but I always get that with ATG.

I think I'm going to enjoy my week with the slant :)

Drroly said:
Just had a shave.

I was expecting a slanty-toothed tiger, but his Merkur is a pussycat!

It's the quitest razor I've used; one gets the sensation of hairs being sliced rather than chopped. Loaded with a Derby it's also smooth as poop from a duck's ass. I didn't especially like the Derby in my DE89, but it works a treat in the slant.

I think I'm going to enjoy my week with the slant :)

Good deal........glad the slant's working out so far. Yeah, definitely keep it a bit and figure out any technique tweaks you might need. I'd guess you're planning to try some other blades in the thing. Heh, if the Derby seems fine, wait till you try the SharpEdge. I'll bet you'll notice a difference between the two, although I won't predict which one you'll prefer. I'll just say you'll notice a change in the shave one way or another.

Thanks for the input,

Martin

Still enjoying the slant :)

Now, I don't know if the following is against etiquette. Dodgy kindly sent the slant to me from the US of A, and I'm wondering if it would be best to group everyone together by country so it doesn't go zig-zagging it's way around the globe.

If this is "not the done thing" I'll sent it to BillyHoyle at the end of the week.

RE: Pass Around: Merkur Slant

dodgy said:
Remind me to send you an extra extra deep dish vegetarian pizza the next time we do a deal.

Vegetarians rule! Ok i'm half way there. Now to home in on the PIF. I was wondering whether I could be added to the list. On the "it's just one of those days thread" someone recommended I should try a slant for those hard to reach areas either side of the adams apple. Might be worth a go as I can never ever seem to get a proper shave there. I have resorted to using my multiple blade to clear up those parts but want to avoid that :). Also do slants take the normal DE blade or do they have their own special blade?

Cheers, P

Also do slants take the normal DE blade

Yes sir, normal blades. A slant just "twists" the blade as you tighten up the retaining screw so it gives a "slanted" appearance.

Edit: On the Adam's apple area, I'm not sure a slant would solve your problem there. It is a common problem area but the simple answer is just to pull the skin to the left with your fingers, (so it moves off the "apple") and shave it. Then pull it to the right of the "apple" and shave it again. A bit of alum on the fingers helps you grip.

Either way it's still worth you trying the slant, they are nice.

The razor is now on it's way to BillyHoyle.

I've had a week-and-a-bit of very comfortable and close shaves. The only downside is I can only get 2-3 shaves per blade. Even with a feather. For me, anything other than the sharpest blades caused a lot of irritation.

However nothing I've used compares to the Enchanted Slant with a fresh feather loaded. I think I'll get one and keep it for special occasions.

Hope everyone else has similar success! :)

Hi all

I'm off to the US for a couple of weeks, starting the week after next so probably best if I swap places in the list with Wellboy otherwise the razor is likely to arrive during that time and be sat around unused at my place.

Cheers,

Adam

Hax said:
Hi all

I'm off to the US for a couple of weeks, starting the week after next so probably best if I swap places in the list with Wellboy otherwise the razor is likely to arrive during that time and be sat around unused at my place.

Cheers,

Adam

Very thoughtful of you Adam - I have just PM'd wellboy.

Also, I just bought a slant - I got on quite well with this one :)

Thanks again for the opportunity to dry these Dodgy! :D

Back
Top Bottom