Closed Pass Around - One Blade SE Razor

Day eight with the OneBlade
  • Shower
  • Lucky Tiger Lemon Cream facial cleanser
  • removed with a hot towel
  • Truefitt & Hill Lavender shaving cream
  • face lathered with Omega 49 boar brush
  • Five passes WTG/XTG/XTG/ATG/ATG with OneBlade and de-spined GEM blade (6)
  • Tüff Sensitiv ASL
  • Paco Rabanne Pour Home EdT
The sixth and last outing of the de-spined GEM blade.
I did five passes again, as I wanted to push the blade. Again a tiny bit of tugging ATG under the nose, but no worse than yesterday. I think I could get more shaves out of the blade, but I don't want to hog the razor for weeks
One more thing I noticed during the last couple of shaves: I find it difficult to use the OneBlade to shave in the most inaccessible of all places: the area closest to (almost inside) the nostrils. Because of the way the blade sits in the head it doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the head. That means you would have to stick the edge of head right up your nostril to shave close to it. Awkward, and even then you can't reach all the bristles. After a couple of days this was now getting quite noticeable and I had to do a little cleanup operation with a Schick injector. Hmmm..
So far the GEM blade has done 35 passes and is still better than the Feather after 6.
Let's do the maths. The Feather is good for just a single shave, the de-spined GEM is good for (at least) six. At Connaught's you pay £86.40 for 240 Feather blades. Thats 36p per blade. 200 GEM blades are £24, (that's) 12p per blade. Based on the six shaves I have done with the GEM blade, a shave with the GEM costs 2p in blades, while shaving with Feather blades costs 36p per shave. So why not use a better blade at less than 6% of the cost per shave?
OneBlade have missed a trick here. I'm sure the head would only need minor modifications to take GEM blades with the spine still on.
I'll use a fresh GEM blade tomorrow to compare it with the one that had 6 full on shaves. After that I'll pass the OneBlade on.

Oh, yes - in case anyone wondered - great shave again.

Dunno. Feather have a history of making mild razors. I've been wondering right from the start if Feather were involved in the design of the razor.
If they were it might explain the choice of blade. Might also explain the sudden price increase of a relatively unknown blade, which coincided with the release of the Oneblade. As I said...dunno.

I'm suspicious as fuck though.

Dunno. Feather have a history of making mild razors. I've been wondering right from the start if Feather were involved in the design of the razor.
If they were it might explain the choice of blade. Might also explain the sudden price increase of a relatively unknown blade, which coincided with the release of the Oneblade. As I said...dunno.

I'm suspicious as fuck though.
There is a press release in Japanese on Feather's web site. I threw it at Google translate and it says that Feather hadn't changed its prices since 1991, but due to soaring costs for raw materials they decided to increase prices for all their products for the first time in over 23 years on September 1st 2015. No conspiracy theory required.

There is a press release in Japanese on Feather's web site. I threw it at Google translate and it says that Feather hadn't changed its prices since 1991, but due to soaring costs for raw materials they decided to increase prices for all their products for the first time in over 23 years on September 1st 2015. No conspiracy theory required.

Commodity/steel prices at an all time low, what do they make the blades out of?

Conspiracy? I'm just thinking out loud man. Sorts what a Forum's for.
Maybe there's another reason for using that Feather blade. Dunno.

Feather also cite "changes in the economic environment". Steel prices are low now, but much higher in say 2014 when they might have bought steel on a forward contract. The Yen has also lost value against the USD, making steel purchases in USD more expensive for a Japanese company. I'm just guessing, but there can be lots of reasons. Keeping prices stables for more than 23 years is rare. I find it hard to believe that OneBlade using their niche blade will sneakily make them increase prices across their portfolio. YCTMV Your Conspiracy Theory May Vary

Conspiracy? I'm just thinking out loud man. Sorts what a Forum's for.
Maybe there's another reason for using that Feather blade. Dunno.
Here's an easy explanation: OneBlade tell you that the blades are only available from them and you need a new blade every day (you do). A way to sell lots of blades. By subscription even. Not enough money to be made from the GEM.

Here's an easy explanation: OneBlade tell you that the blades are only available from them and you need a new blade every day (you do). A way to sell lots of blades. By subscription even. Not enough money to be made from the GEM.
I have found it quite interesting that the Feather blades went up in price coinciding with the OneBlade release ...Business is business & furthermore it wouldn't surprize me at all if the Feather Company had a hand in the design of this razor...The Guy that Marketed this Razor is a International business market high flyer..It is more than just possible..It more than highly likely..:)

Billy

Final day with the OneBlade
  • Shower
  • Lucky Tiger Lemon Cream facial cleanser
  • removed with a hot towel
  • Cella Crema Da Barba
  • Four passes WTG/XTG/XTG/ATG with OneBlade and de-spined GEM blade (1)
  • 4711 Portugal ASL
  • 4711 Portugal EdT
As expected, a fresh GEM blade is sharper than one used six times. No tugging whatsoever. So I got three brilliant shaves out the blade and three more good ones with a tiny bit of tugging, but only ATG under the nose. So three or four shaves is probably reasonable. Still better than the Feather's one shave.
The more I have used the OneBlade, the less I like the handle. Not only is it slippery, I also find it difficult to rotate the razor with wet hands. The gap in the handle makes this more difficult than it would be with a round handle. I'm not sure why I didn't notice this more before, but today it annoyed me.
Ten minutes after the shave my face was on fire. Probably the 4711 Portugal. Damn it - I like the scent. A quick face wash and some Speick ASB later, everything was fine. Phew.
Well, this was my last shave with the OneBlade. I'll get it shave ready and pass it on to @rowlers tomorrow.
I'll post my final verdict on the OneBlade later today.

The OneBlade razor - final thoughts
Good razor. Not good enough. I want a Personna floating head injector
Here is what I like about the OneBlade:
The OneBlade is a good looking, unusual razor. It is well crafted and a quality piece of hardware. As a fan of SE shaving, the razor appeals to me. The Feather FHS blades are the only currently available unmodified blades available. They are very good blades, but only really last for a single shave. Fortunately, GEM SE blades are also currently available and fit the OneBlade razor if the spine is removed. They stay usable for much longer and are much cheaper.
This razor really gives you an excellent shave. No doubt about it. It shaves everything as good as the Wolfman or any other razor. This is mainly due to the pivoted head. That's one innovation OneBlade have copied from cartridge razors and it was a good decision. It needs a little pressure to engage, but it allows you to be sloppy with the angle you use to move the handle around your face. As long as you get it roughly right, the pivoting head will take care of the rest. It's actually fun to watch the head move around the edge of the chin to the neck and listen to the uninterrupted noise of hair being cut. Nice. A couple of days ago I was tempted to buy one of those new Flexball gadget razors to see how it compares, but I resisted. But there is another razor I want to try and compare the OneBlade to it.
I want to try a Personna floating head injector

Here is what I don't like about the OneBlade:
The decision to use Feather FHS blades is a dubious one. With minimal changes to the head OneBlade could have made a razor accepting unmodified GEM blades. Those blades are a third of the price of the Feathers and last six times longer. That makes shaving with Feather blades 18 times more expensive than shaving with GEM blades. While I have no problems removing the spine from a GEM blade (it takes about 5 seconds), this will not be a solution for everyone.
Next, the OneBlade shaves a bit like a cartridge razor. You need to apply pressure to make the pivoting head work. I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand it does give results. A close shave every time. On the other hand I like to shave with a very light touch. So this is not really a negative, just personal preference.
The handle is too slippery. I know stainless steel is the new black, but I wouldn't mind a more textured stainless steel handle, or even rubber inlays in the handle. I know I'm being a stainless steel heretic again. My Schick N3 injector with its all rubber handle is one of my most favourite razors. You couldn't add more grip to it without using superglue if you tried. I also didn't think much of the shape of the handle. It's awkward . The hole down the length of the handle looks cool, but makes it difficult to turn the razor with one wet hand. A case of form before function, I'm afraid.
The extras. The leather case is useless. Well made and all that, but what is it for? It is huge and it doesn't hold the razor without the stand. It is no use for travel, due its sheer size and weight with the razor and the stand in it. Personally, I wouldn't store the razor in the box between uses. So it's just expensive leather packaging that is too precious to throw away. It's just added clutter. I'm not too keen on the stand either. It's horizontal and takes up too much space in the shave den. I don't really need a stand for a razor, but if I did, I'd want the razor to be upright. Give me an option to buy the razor without the added hipster accessories. Please.
I've mentioned it before, but the blade insertion/extraction mechanism is not as smooth as I'd like it to be. Not for the price. I'd like to see some spring loaded mechanism where you push the blade in and it clicks into place, push it again and the blade pops out. As it is the mechanism is too fiddly and jerky for my taste. Maybe my dream solution is not viable and would break sooner or later. Not a deal breaker, but a classy razor should be classy.
I also find it difficult shaving very close to the nostrils. The blade does not extend to the edge of the head, making shaving in this difficult area even more difficult. I needed a Schick injector to clean up. Not ideal.
Now for biggest drawback. The elephant in the shave den. The price. £225 shipped + VAT + import duty + RM penalty. It is far too expensive for what it is. A razor. I do understand that OneBlade want to recoup their alleged million dollar development cost, but they are taking the piss. Pardon my French German. How much was the black one again? $2,500? Go away! And I'm getting expensive stuff I don't want with it (box/stand). As much as I adore the shaves it gives me, I find it overpriced. Hugely.
So here is the final verdict. Would I buy one? No. As good as it is, there are too many little niggles to justify the cost. Drop the leather box, drop the stand, give the handle more grip, make it use unmodified GEM blades and drop the price by half and I might be interested. I'll miss it though. Nice knowing you, OneBlade. Despite all the little niggles - it is a very good razor.

Thank you so much, Martin, for another amazing pass around. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Final words:
I so want to try a Personna floating head injector - it might be just as good with the right blade. Pass around, anyone? :D:D

The OneBlade razor - final thoughts
Good razor. Not good enough. I want a Personna floating head injector
Here is what I like about the OneBlade:
The OneBlade is a good looking, unusual razor. It is well crafted and a quality piece of hardware. As a fan of SE shaving, the razor appeals to me. The Feather FHS blades are the only currently available unmodified blades available. They are very good blades, but only really last for a single shave. Fortunately, GEM SE blades are also currently available and fit the OneBlade razor if the spine is removed. They stay usable for much longer and are much cheaper.
This razor really gives you an excellent shave. No doubt about it. It shaves everything as good as the Wolfman or any other razor. This is mainly due to the pivoted head. That's one innovation OneBlade have copied from cartridge razors and it was a good decision. It needs a little pressure to engage, but it allows you to be sloppy with the angle you use to move the handle around your face. As long as you get it roughly right, the pivoting head will take care of the rest. It's actually fun to watch the head move around the edge of the chin to the neck and listen to the uninterrupted noise of hair being cut. Nice. A couple of days ago I was tempted to buy one of those new Flexball gadget razors to see how it compares, but I resisted. But there is another razor I want to try and compare the OneBlade to it.
I want to try a Personna floating head injector

Here is what I don't like about the OneBlade:
The decision to use Feather FHS blades is a dubious one. With minimal changes to the head OneBlade could have made a razor accepting unmodified GEM blades. Those blades are a third of the price of the Feathers and last six times longer. That makes shaving with Feather blades 18 times more expensive than shaving with GEM blades. While I have no problems removing the spine from a GEM blade (it takes about 5 seconds), this will not be a solution for everyone.
Next, the OneBlade shaves a bit like a cartridge razor. You need to apply pressure to make the pivoting head work. I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand it does give results. A close shave every time. On the other hand I like to shave with a very light touch. So this is not really a negative, just personal preference.
The handle is too slippery. I know stainless steel is the new black, but I wouldn't mind a more textured stainless steel handle, or even rubber inlays in the handle. I know I'm being a stainless steel heretic again. My Schick N3 injector with its all rubber handle is one of my most favourite razors. You couldn't add more grip to it without using superglue if you tried. I also didn't think much of the shape of the handle. It's awkward . The hole down the length of the handle looks cool, but makes it difficult to turn the razor with one wet hand. A case of form before function, I'm afraid.
The extras. The leather case is useless. Well made and all that, but what is it for? It is huge and it doesn't hold the razor without the stand. It is no use for travel, due its sheer size and weight with the razor and the stand in it. Personally, I wouldn't store the razor in the box between uses. So it's just expensive leather packaging that is too precious to throw away. It's just added clutter. I'm not too keen on the stand either. It's horizontal and takes up too much space in the shave den. I don't really need a stand for a razor, but if I did, I'd want the razor to be upright. Give me an option to buy the razor without the added hipster accessories. Please.
I've mentioned it before, but the blade insertion/extraction mechanism is not as smooth as I'd like it to be. Not for the price. I'd like to see some spring loaded mechanism where you push the blade in and it clicks into place, push it again and the blade pops out. As it is the mechanism is too fiddly and jerky for my taste. Maybe my dream solution is not viable and would break sooner or later. Not a deal breaker, but a classy razor should be classy.
I also find it difficult shaving very close to the nostrils. The blade does not extend to the edge of the head, making shaving in this difficult area even more difficult. I needed a Schick injector to clean up. Not ideal.
Now for biggest drawback. The elephant in the shave den. The price. £225 shipped + VAT + import duty + RM penalty. It is far too expensive for what it is. A razor. I do understand that OneBlade want to recoup their alleged million dollar development cost, but they are taking the piss. Pardon my French German. How much was the black one again? $2,500? Go away! And I'm getting expensive stuff I don't want with it (box/stand). As much as I adore the shaves it gives me, I find it overpriced. Hugely.
So here is the final verdict. Would I buy one? No. As good as it is, there are too many little niggles to justify the cost. Drop the leather box, drop the stand, give the handle more grip, make it use unmodified GEM blades and drop the price by half and I might be interested. I'll miss it though. Nice knowing you, OneBlade. Despite all the little niggles - it is a very good razor.

Thank you so much, Martin, for another amazing pass around. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Final words:
I so want to try a Personna floating head injector - it might be just as good with the right blade. Pass around, anyone? :D:D
Great write up..The Personna Twin Blade Floating Injector is like a Rolls Royce..They don't require any pressure..The pivoting head is there to make the Razor more forgiving and get round the contours of the face..These are quite Aggressive Injectors but very forgiving & smooth..I would be reluctant to Pass it around Not because of the Value or anything but because they are so hard to replace..They are Relatively Rare & when they do come up they need to be brought in from the USA...They are in the hands of the Few..:)

Billy

Last edited:
Great write up..The Personna Twin Blade Floating Injector is like a Rolls Royce..They don't require any pressure..The pivoting head is there to make the Razor more forgiving and get round the contours of the face..These are quite Aggressive Injectors but very forgiving & smooth..I would be reluctant to Pass it around Not because of the Value or anything but because they are so hard to replace..They are Relatively Rare & when they do come up they need to be brought in from the USA...:)

Billy
I didn't really expect a pass around. And I know they are hard to get, because I don't have one and I tried :rolleyes: One day.

Last edited:
I didn't really expect a pass around. And I know they are hard to get, because I don't have one and I tried :rolleyes: One day.

If you get a chance - do get one as they are fantastic shavers. I ended up with both the blue and black version and really enjoy them:

dmr0r9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom