Pearl Open Comb Razor

Greetings,

During the past twelve months a number of DE safety razors have started to appear on the market that are manufactured in India, it would certainly seem that they are all coming out of the same factory.

These razors are manufactured in both open and closed comb (safety bar versions) and with several different designs of handle in different lengths and diameters. The open comb and the safety bar head however appear to be identical on all of them.

These razors are marketed in the USA by The Italian Barber under the RazoRock label, by Razor Blades and More under the Matador Label and by Shave a Buck under the Cadet label.

Nearer to home Barbiere di Figaro in Holland sell them under the Pearl badge and now in the UK they are being sold also under the Pearl label by Safety Razors.co.uk who are based in South Shields.

Safety Razors.co.uk are retailing these razors at £9.95 plus postage and offer TSR members a 10% discount making this razor £11.91 delivered. The same open comb head is offered with six different types of handle varying in length diameter and weight.

The model I purchased is the SSH-1 I choose this model as it had a shorter and fatter traditional style of handle which I both prefer and I am more familiar with.

Specifications

The razor weighs 72 grams on my digital kitchen scales 44 grams of this total being the handle. The handle on this model is 79 mm long and 12 mm in diameter. Other models have longer and slimmer handles.

The razor appears to be made entirely from brass and is chrome plated, the quality of the plating is good to very good, not in the same class as Muhle/Edwin Jagger but as good as, if not slightly better than Merkur. The general standard of machining and finishing is very good, only the base of the screw on the top cap is poorly finished with tool marks apparent where it has been cut off.

Performance

I should at the outset declare myself as a dedicated user of SE razors and this was my first DE shave for several months. My favourite DE razor has been a ‘New' head on any handle a little thicker than the standard one, so this razor perfectly fits that ‘style'.

For the test I choose an Astra (green pkt.) blade simply as a blade I am very familiar with and consider a good average blade, for lather I choose Spieck stick as again I am used to it and consider it a fantastic soap. I wanted to introduce nothing strange so the test would be mainly about the razor (minus my lack of DE technique)

I found the balance of the razor just about perfect and the grip and diameter of the handle perfection. The razor was moderately aggressive about the same as a ‘New' or slightly more, but light years less than an R41, all of the aggression was completely usable and I did not find it in the slightest bit tricky or difficult to shave with in any way. It is not a particularly angle sensitive razor. I unfortunately am unable to compare it to a Fatip as I have never used one.

I completed a normal three pass shave with no nicks or weepers and no feeling of having been ‘scraped'. The finish was ultra smooth.

Negative Points

The only negative point is that the top cap screw stud is 10mm long which is about double that on most three piece razors, the extra length serves no purpose at all that I can see other than prevent the head being used on most of my other handles. I suspect the thread rate is the same but most other handles are simply not threaded deep enough. This is a minor point as I consider the handle supplied as just fine and it will also fit on just about any other head you have.

Summary

A super razor in terms of both function and value. For those that like a slightly more aggressive open comb razor this is a seriously good performer.

I have no connection with Safety Razors.co.uk, and in fact had not heard of them until alerted to them and this razor on this forum. I purchased this razor, it was not a ‘freebie gift/tester'.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04141.JPG

DSC04142.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-
DISHjRtBn8k/UV7royf5OOI/AAAAAAAAFX0/fdzjeQ5FAPY/s800/DSC04134.JPG

DSC04136.JPG

DSC04143.JPG

A very good review.

I suspect fatip and these indian razors will not sell like they should until they stick the generic screw stud on.

Of the cheaper razors the fatip is a hell of a razor let down by its rubbish handle and different stud.

The side on picture of this razor looks similar to the fatip but people want to use their better quality handles hence myself and a few others getting rid of the fatip. This may be the same.

Maybe the answer when buying a custom handle is to ask for a deeper thread

If you wanted your other handles to fit, it is a pretty simple operation on a lathe to make the thread deeper. In fact a five minute job on a lathe. If you were extra careful you could just about do it by hand as well. I make all my handles at least 15mm deep for this reason, normally deeper.

Looks a decent razor for the price though and a good review.

good review dick, its all i needed to get one. its been on my radar a while and it sounds a total no brainer for the price. cant wait for it to arrive now.
just a thought, wouldnt it be easy enough to hack saw the end of the thread so it will fit other handles? the handle looks fine to me though, ill be quite happy to use it as is.

isaiah53 said:
good review dick, its all i needed to get one. its been on my radar a while and it sounds a total no brainer for the price. cant wait for it to arrive now.
just a thought, wouldnt it be easy enough to hack saw the end of the thread so it will fit other handles? the handle looks fine to me though, ill be quite happy to use it as is.

Greetings

You are quite right, it would be a piece of cake to shorten the stud and that was what I was going to do. When I tried the feel of the razor with the handle provided it had such a great feel weight and balance, that I decided the handle on it, although a bit 'oriental' looking worked so well I would not bother. This handle for me in feel is perfect although I have seen better looking ones!

Regards
Dick.

Hiya,

That was a well written review on a razor that I would guess lots of people would be interested in. It's one that probably could have easily kept flying under the radar without anyone knowing about this OC option.

Even though it's a razor I wouldn't use, it's always good to be able to recommend an item like this one.

Good job,

Martin

just received my pearl razor today and im very impressed, pictures dont really do it justice. lovely knurling, very good plating and nicely presented in a clear blue plastic case. had a shave tonight with it and got a great, close and comfortable shave and for £10 is absolutely fantastic value.

Excellent info, thank you very much. I have been looking for a Pearl review for quite some time because I wanted to buy one, both for the head and the handle (the latter to try with my Merkur closed and open heads). It is unfortunate that the cap screw stud is so long, would love to try this head with other handles too.

Pulled the trigger on this on Monday after reading this post and just picked up my parcel this morning, completely agree with other posters, this is a great looking little razor for the price, can't wait to try it out when I get home.

Got mine too. Unfortunately the head won't align the blade properly (evenly). It also has what appears to be specks of dust under the chrome. The handle is quite good, it has a nice weight to it.

YMMV said:
Got mine too. Unfortunately the head won't align the blade properly (evenly). It also has what appears to be specks of dust under the chrome. The handle is quite good, it has a nice weight to it.

mine is similar. on mine the cap is slightly off centre, but if i line the blade edges up evenly with the edges of the comb everything is good.

Thanks for the feedback. My problem is the cap too. But I cannot line the blade evenly no matter what I do, and I can't say I haven't tried. I guess it is more off center than yours :)

Back
Top Bottom