Penhaligon's?

ProphetNoir said:
Similarly London, Paris, Hong Kong and a few others entertain huge numbers of visitors from around the world. We are accustomed to their patronage at the large shopping areas and we are somewhat conscious that we represent the town and the country by our interaction with them. It may not be the same level of courtesy shown to people that live here.

Good point. Though what a shame that's the case. Common courtesy should be extended to everyone - genuinely and without an ulterior motive. Maybe next time I phone up one of our esteemed establishments I'll adopt an American accent and casually mention I've a few hundred bucks to play around with. :cool:

joe mcclaine said:
[...]There's a lot of cult/hero worship for some English products and people which isn't justified.

Oh, and don't get me started on that drunk, war-monger Churchill who seems to crop up from time to time linked to Penhaligon's.

Didn't realise we got to do a bit of geo-political retro politics on this forum too Joe.

Merely in passing I wonder what the shaving preferences were of his pacific, fun loving adversary who was fortunately a fervent tee-totaller...?

:shock:

Blyth Spirit said:
joe mcclaine said:
[...]There's a lot of cult/hero worship for some English products and people which isn't justified.

Oh, and don't get me started on that drunk, war-monger Churchill who seems to crop up from time to time linked to Penhaligon's.

Didn't realise we got to do a bit of geo-political retro politics on this forum too Joe.

Merely in passing I wonder what the shaving preferences were of his pacific, fun loving adversary who was fortunately a fervent tee-totaller...?

:shock:

And a veggy! ;)

Seems strange that checking on B&B that there are no reviews of the Pens soaps or the Floris since the reformulation, (in the review section) but plenty outside of that section seeming mainly to slate them both.

Be interesting to hear from members on TSR of their experiences with these two.

It’s just that reading this thread has rekindled my interest (little voice in head) and I’m hoping their piss poor as this could be really expensive. :(

Prophet, how accessible are the English fragrances on the high street state side.

Hello RB73,

I had never heard of any English fragrances before joining B&B. I mean other than Yardley, English Leather and British Sterling which are all sold in drug stores here. So I recently ordered sample sets from Penhaligon's and Floris. Some have described them as "old man" scents, but I am 53 so ...
I also got a bottle of Creed Royal Scottish Lavender and one of Atkinsons English Lavender (I was on a lavender kick).
To answer your question though, I don't it is difficult to get any of the high line scents here if you live in a large metropolitan area like New York, Chicago, Miami or Los Angeles. There is a Penhaligon's store downtown and the better department stores here will also stock some of the high end stuff. The biggest fear would be counterfeits from China being sold by street vendors.
I still get much of what I want from online vendors. Shop London is where I got my Penhaligon's and Floris soaps and scents. They are located in Charlottesville, VA. I also don't mind ordering from the U.K. as I got my razors and brushes from The English Shaving Company.
By the way, I really like the scents from both Penhaligon's and Floris. The sample sets include men's, women's and unisex samples. Beyond that, Shop London includes free samples with every order so I have a few extras from Floris. Oddly, my favorite scent is one of the women's perfume samples, Floris Lily of the Valley. I put a dab in my mustache and just breathe normally. Indugence!

Love the Floris JF scent...don't like the lather.(new formulation)

Love the English Fern scent...love the lather (old formulation)

antdad said:

To my nose, Floris JF (edt) is very very similar to Green Irish Tweed, T&H Freshman & Coolwater. Still a lovely scent mind.

antdad said:

Actually it's been quite a while since I used the Floris JF so before I condemn it and act like a "Tallow good, reformulation bahd" sheep I will give it an extended run this week. I just a did a trial lather and it seemed pretty good to me.

Don't know Nape but if you are keen it might be worth giving those outlet stores a ring.

joe mcclaine said:
Give the York or Bicester outlet stores a ring. They deliver, and the prices are so cheap it's rude not to they often have the EF shaving soap in the bowls for about £20.

antdad said:
antdad said:

Actually it's been quite a while since I used the Floris JF so before I condemn it and act like a "Tallow good, reformulation bahd" sheep I will give it an extended run this week. I just a did a trial lather and it seemed pretty good to me.

Awaiting in eager anticipation...

Have you tried the preformulation soap, sorry don’t want to sound like someone that boils bunnies :evil: . Just want to know if you’re opinion is solely based on the new soap.

Can’t get my head around that Tallow non Tallow myself, two of the best soaps I have are as such and perform equally well shave wise.

Fido said:
This is so, so, interesting!
With part of my family in The USA I visit regularly New York and now Dallas. There is great affection for the English among those people I meet. My daughter has long appreciated the value of retaining her English accent over the past 20 plus years. Enthusiasm for British shaving products surprises me not at all. As to customer service, the standard in the USA is excellent, the standard here is generally appalling. So it amazes me that it could be a factor in the popularity of British goods.

Mmm, Couldn’t ask when your planning on going again could I. That Nancy boy sounds like it’s worth a try... ;)

RB73 said:
Awaiting in eager anticipation...

Have you tried the preformulation soap, sorry don’t want to sound like someone that boils bunnies :evil: . Just want to know if you’re opinion is solely based on the new soap.

Can’t get my head around that Tallow non Tallow myself, two of the best soaps I have are as such and perform equally well shave wise.

Haven't tried old formula Floris JF, I'm with you on the Tallow V non Tallow its more to do with new formulations rather than lack of any particular ingredient. When it doesn't contain tallow folks just draw the most obvious conclusion.

RB73 said:
Fido said:
With part of my family in The USA I visit regularly New York and now Dallas. There is great affection for the English among those people I meet. My daughter has long appreciated the value of retaining her English accent over the past 20 plus years. Enthusiasm for British shaving products surprises me not at all. As to customer service, the standard in the USA is excellent, the standard here is generally appalling. So it amazes me that it could be a factor in the popularity of British goods.

Mmm, Couldn’t ask when your planning on going again could I. That Nancy boy sounds like it’s worth a try... ;)

I will be off to Dallas in the spring next year. Having said that, I recall Fozz offering to help out with getting any items not shipped to the UK by American suppliers.

RB73 said:
Fido said:

Just a head's up re: Nancy Boy. As far as I know their products are only sold in their two stores located in Northern California. All other sales are online. It might do to have someone you know in the states place an order in advance of a planned visit so that it will be delivered to them in time.

joe mcclaine said:
Give the York or Bicester outlet stores a ring. They deliver, and the prices are so cheap it's rude not to.

They sometime have deals. I know I have picked up 2x100ml bottles of Opus for £40 for the pair and they often have the EF shaving soap in the bowls for about £20.

Thanks joe...it WAS just too rude not to so I made some enquiries and purchased a bottle of EF and Bleinheim Bouquet EDT.
Penhaligons are the finest. The assistant told me Churchill used Bleinheim, are you trying to put me off the sale I asked?

I think there is one EF original formulation soap left plus BB soap all in bowls I'm afraid, it's not cheap but it is special, point the Mrs or the kids in this direction for Xmas, you will not be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom