Penhaligon's?

joe mcclaine said:
Oh, and don't get me started on that drunk, war-monger Churchill who seems to crop up from time to time linked to Penhaligon's.

My late grandmother had to be ever alert for a mention of him on TV or radio - if my late grandfather had heard it, the instrument in question would be subject to unipedal percussion (kicked if you prefer). He wasn't one to bear a grudge my grandfather but it was something to do with Churchill being the Home Secretary that turn live-firing troops on strikers in the General Strike of 1926... the happiest day of his life was 25th January 1965 - the day he found out that he'd outlived Winnie.

hunnymonster said:
My late grandmother had to be ever alert for a mention of him on TV or radio - if my late grandfather had heard it, the instrument in question would be subject to unipedal percussion (kicked if you prefer). He wasn't one to bear a grudge my grandfather but it was something to do with Churchill being the Home Secretary that turn live-firing troops on strikers in the General Strike of 1926... the happiest day of his life was 25th January 1965 - the day he found out that he'd outlived Winnie.

The strike only lasted nine days, even I'm not old enough to have been there (ok, :lol: just!); here is a National Archive, Government account for the younger brethren...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/alevelstudies/diary-strike.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabi ... strike.htm</a><!-- m -->

Fido said:
RB73 said:
Fido said:
This is so, so, interesting!
With part of my family in The USA I visit regularly New York and now Dallas. There is great affection for the English among those people I meet. My daughter has long appreciated the value of retaining her English accent over the past 20 plus years. Enthusiasm for British shaving products surprises me not at all. As to customer service, the standard in the USA is excellent, the standard here is generally appalling. So it amazes me that it could be a factor in the popularity of British goods.

Mmm, Couldn’t ask when your planning on going again could I. That Nancy boy sounds like it’s worth a try... ;)

I will be off to Dallas in the spring next year. Having said that, I recall Fozz offering to help out with getting any items not shipped to the UK by American suppliers.

I sure did.

antdad said:
joe mcclaine said:
Give the York or Bicester outlet stores a ring. They deliver, and the prices are so cheap it's rude not to.

They sometime have deals. I know I have picked up 2x100ml bottles of Opus for £40 for the pair and they often have the EF shaving soap in the bowls for about £20.

I think there is one EF original formulation soap left plus BB soap all in bowls I'm afraid, it's not cheap but it is special, point the Mrs or the kids in this direction for Xmas, you will not be disappointed.

:evil: They told me they had no soaps left last Sunday.

A bit of a thread revival, but been thinking about this and therefore have to ask.

Is it possible to email Penhaligon's in the UK and request samples? Hearing so much about their scents, I'd really love to try them before I place an order...

Would be great to sample first before ordering something. Most important, would like to sample since it would be a pity to order the Bouquet and not knowing that possibly Opus or Fern is better suited to my taste...

I'm not in the UK, but in Latvia; do you think they would be reluctant sending me samples here in the Baltics? If yes, is there another UK dealer who could send me samples?

Would appreciate your inputs, if you happen to know.

I have really enjoyed this thread and have nothing specific to add except:

a) As to the question knowledgeable staff one has to bear in mind that whereas the 3T's are all about shaving Pen's, Floris et al are all about fragrances and the shaving stuff is peripheral.
On the rare occasions I have been in these places the staff consisted of pleasant young women whose knowledge of shaving requisites was minimal, but they were quite happy to let me touch and sniff.*

b) As to the American perception of British shaving stuff being superior, I wonder what products were used by Douglas Fairbanks Jr. the best groomed man, in my view, of the last century.
(Although the two runners-up were English, these being Cary Grant & the Duke of Windsor)

*Note to PigCat - I mean the stock, not the staff.

I'm passing through as a very late-comer to the thread. Greetings! Last summer around early July I was all fixed in the Penhaligons department, then something came up and I was able to sell my 3 each of BB and EF soaps, to get some funds together in a hurry. I rationalized it by thinking, well, whenever the newly formulated soaps come out they will be as good as before, and everything will work out. I was wrong! My son bought himself a new formula BB and it was a disaster. Neither of us could produce a lather with it. It was like trying to make lather with a stone. I'd be interested in knowing whether the product is selling at all. I'm hoping Penhaligons can rework the formula and get it to the point of matching Trumpers reformulated soaps, which, by the way, are remarkably good reformulations. If anybody here gets any news along these lines, I'd be happy to hear about it. Luckily, my son had the wisdom to hold onto his EF from the old formula.

A Pen's rep joined the debate on TSR when there was a discussion about their fragrances. She toed the company line but it seems they are aware of the disgruntlement caused by the new soap formulation. Another reformulation means admitting a mistake, that rarely happens.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2594</a><!-- l -->

Hi. I just bought a puck of english fern yesterday in TK MAXX for £9.99. After reading up about this stuff and its saying english fern on my puck that it was the better formulation.

Well, I tried to shave with it this morning but couldnt get a lather from it at all. I tried different brushes I have from badger, hog and synthetic and even tried to bowl lather it. Still nothing. All I get is a thin bubbly mess that dissapears faster than Captain kirk on the transporter pad.

I tried soaking the puck in hot water for a while. Tried a dry puck with wet brush. Still bad. I have a soft water area too by the way.

Just thinking now if I have the old dud stuff and wasted my tenner.

Any thoughts
Peter

pgachapman said:
Hi. I just bought a puck of english fern yesterday in TK MAXX for £9.99. After reading up about this stuff and its saying english fern on my puck that it was the better formulation.

Well, I tried to shave with it this morning but couldnt get a lather from it at all. I tried different brushes I have from badger, hog and synthetic and even tried to bowl lather it. Still nothing. All I get is a thin bubbly mess that dissapears faster than Captain kirk on the transporter pad.

I tried soaking the puck in hot water for a while. Tried a dry puck with wet brush. Still bad. I have a soft water area too by they way.

Just thinking now if I have the old dud stuff and wasted my tenner.

Any thoughts
Peter

Your not alone. I bought one from the same place the other day. My problem was sustaining the lather as it disappeared after 3 seconds. You could try taking it back saying it's not fit for purpose or use it as a shower soap which is what I'll be doing with mine

Back
Top Bottom