Photo of the day

View attachment 25957 looking sideways on to the middle section of the Tamar railway bridge. Early morning shot.

brunelchains1.SR.jpg

Evening P - Brunel and his work -that's a top end set of pictures. In a similar vein - one of the highlights of the National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh, they have a print of this picture straight from the original glass plate negative. It's a wonder to stand in front of. It's luminous. I think that the back drop is composed of the drag chains for the launch of the S.S Great Britain. I'm not sure and would be happy to be corrected. He sums up his age. Shamefully I can't remember the photographer's name - cheers - I

View attachment 25985

Evening P - Brunel and his work -that's a top end set of pictures. In a similar vein - one of the highlights of the National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh, they have a print of this picture straight from the original glass plate negative. It's a wonder to stand in front of. It's luminous. I think that the back drop is composed of the drag chains for the launch of the S.S Great Britain. I'm not sure and would be happy to be corrected. He sums up his age. Shamefully I can't remember the photographer's name - cheers - I
Great picture, great man. :) P.

Leven16SR.jpg

Leven15SR.jpg

Pic of the day inspired by @Blademonkey - Victorian engineering on a grand scale. Two views of the Blackwater reservoir above Kinlochleven, central Highlands. Built to provide power - via turbines - to an aluminum smelter down below in Kinlochleven. Still working it now feeds into the national grid. Constructed 1904 - 1909 (Granted - that's not strictly Victorian time-wise but the ethos I think is the same) it's the last huge scale civil engineering project in Britain that was done entirely without any machinery - other than humans and Dynamite. Picks and shovels. When you approach the dam from a distance you get no idea of the scale until the last minute - it's just under a full kilometer across. There were up to 3,000 navvies on the project at anyone time. Not just Irish but a lot of impoverished and displaced Highlanders as well. A life of scarcely imaginable brutality- an incredibly high casualty rate. There's a very good book by a guy that worked on the dam - 'Children of the Dead End' by Patrick MacGill. Hard to find in print but worth it. Only slightly fictionalised.

The second picture - me and my best mate setting out to cross the dam - has a nice back story. When they flooded the Blackwater glen after construction people - granted, not that many - lost their homes and were relocated locally. One of whom was the chief game stalker for the estate - the great great grandfather of the guy walking in front of me in the picture. The estate built his forbear a new house for the family - including the nine kids - that is now the Staoineag M.B.A bothy. Few of the children stayed on locally in their adulthood. One rose to some prominence in the British Hong Kong police service. Sorry - that was the longest picture caption in history. cheers - I. Oh forgot - Leica and 35mm - Agfa APX I think.

View attachment 26007

View attachment 26008

Pic of the day inspired by @Blademonkey - Victorian engineering on a grand scale. Two views of the Blackwater reservoir above Kinlochleven, central Highlands. Built to provide power - via turbines - to an aluminum smelter down below in Kinlochleven. Still working it now feeds into the national grid. Constructed 1904 - 1909 (Granted - that's not strictly Victorian time-wise but the ethos I think is the same) it's the last huge scale civil engineering project in Britain that was done entirely without any machinery - other than humans and Dynamite. Picks and shovels. When you approach the dam from a distance you get no idea of the scale until the last minute - it's just under a full kilometer across. There were up to 3,000 navvies on the project at anyone time. Not just Irish but a lot of impoverished and displaced Highlanders as well. A life of scarcely imaginable brutality- an incredibly high casualty rate. There's a very good book by a guy that worked on the dam - 'Children of the Dead End' by Patrick MacGill. Hard to find in print but worth it. Only slightly fictionalised.

The second picture - me and my best mate setting out to cross the dam - has a nice back story. When they flooded the Blackwater glen after construction people - granted, not that many - lost their homes and were relocated locally. One of whom was the chief game stalker for the estate - the great great grandfather of the guy walking in front of me in the picture. The estate built his forbear a new house for the family - including the nine kids - that is now the Staoineag M.B.A bothy. Few of the children stayed on locally in their adulthood. One rose to some prominence in the British Hong Kong police service. Sorry - that was the longest picture caption in history. cheers - I. Oh forgot - Leica and 35mm - Agfa APX I think.
Great pic's and picture caption! :)

That is a lovely shot of the bridge
Thankyou, I had to get on to the road bridge at 5.30 so I could take the shot because the road bridge vibrates too much with traffic on it! It's one of my favourite shots of the bridge and was worth getting there early to catch the light and have a vibration free platform to shoot from.

View attachment 26015 Hustle and bustle at Paddington station London.
There has got to be a story there, with a disassembled photocopier on the platform. One could endlessly speculate.....

Loved your bridge picture too. My first thought was too blue, and just because I could, I played with the colour temperature a little, and turned your wonderful shot into my typical sort of holiday shot (i.e. ruined it). Must get up earlier...

There has got to be a story there, with a disassembled photocopier on the platform. One could endlessly speculate.....

Loved your bridge picture too. My first thought was too blue, and just because I could, I played with the colour temperature a little, and turned your wonderful shot into my typical sort of holiday shot (i.e. ruined it). Must get up earlier...
I have know idea about the photocopier, it was just there! The colour in the bridge shot is as it was, a cold blue early morning with the sun just comming up. I always shoot what is there and rarely play around with the picture apart from cropping here and there. :)

@Whitefiver - yeah the photocopier caught my eye too. Why was it there? What were they planning to do with it? How did they get it through security? Had they got it working again - was it going on the 5-30 to Plymouth? As you say - 'One could endlessly speculate......' That's part of the reason why this is a great picture. Colour cast I think is in the eye of the beholder. Particularly - in the bridge pictures - blue light tells you that it's morning. You get a sense of time and place. On the other hand @Blademonkey - you might want to get a decent camera? One that can tell colours apart? He laughs. cheers - I

@Whitefiver - yeah the photocopier caught my eye too. Why was it there? What were they planning to do with it? How did they get it through security? Had they got it working again - was it going on the 5-30 to Plymouth? As you say - 'One could endlessly speculate......' That's part of the reason why this is a great picture. Colour cast I think is in the eye of the beholder. Particularly - in the bridge pictures - blue light tells you that it's morning. You get a sense of time and place. On the other hand @Blademonkey - you might want to get a decent camera? One that can tell colours apart? He laughs. cheers - I
Yes I may want to get a decent camera in order to get a decent picture.... Noted...... I thought it was good but I bow to your greater knowledge and experience.

Back
Top Bottom