Plisson L'Occitane

Am I right in saying yours is the "new" version with the Maison du Barbier logo? Sorry to make it sound like Twenty Questions, but can you, if your caliper hangs on for a moment longer, offer the dimensions of the handle i.e. height/width at it's max. Do you think the brush is different in any way from the earlier version shown on their website and available in UK shops (apart from the logo) ? Despite the fact I have the two Jaggers coming (expected today) the Plisson attracts such lavish praise I feel I ought to do the polite thing and get one. Having seen the photos of the stashes of other members maybe a grand total of three brushes isn't excessive.

Occams Razor said:
I'm going to purchase a Plisson or the Muhle synthetic fibre, undecided??? What are people's thoughts on the Plisson v Muhle?
I do prefer a firmer backbone if possible.

If you want backbone it's the Muhle. If you want a more 'natural' feel with adequate backbone it's the Plisson.

Ferrum said:
Dipesh said:
They are size 12's. 22mm sounds about right.

Mine has just arrived, and, although my digital caliper battery is about to die, it has just managed to tell me it's 22mm.

Occams Razor said:
I'm going to purchase a Plisson or the Muhle synthetic fibre, undecided??? What are people's thoughts on the Plisson v Muhle?
Although (q.v.) my Plisson has just arrived, and I haven't used it yet, a quick comparison with my Muhle 33K256 - V 2.0 fibre, 23mm knot - tells me that the Plisson is far softer.

Thanks Ferrum for the info. :icon_razz:

Dipesh said:
Occams Razor said:

If you want backbone it's the Muhle. If you want a more 'natural' feel with adequate backbone it's the Plisson.

Thanks Dipesh. Now I'm in a quandary.... Decisions, decisions!? :icon_rolleyes:

DevonStan said:
Am I right in saying yours is the "new" version with the Maison du Barbier logo? Sorry to make it sound like Twenty Questions, but can you, if your caliper hangs on for a moment longer, offer the dimensions of the handle i.e. height/width at it's max. Do you think the brush is different in any way from the earlier version shown on their website and available in UK shops (apart from the logo) ? Despite the fact I have the two Jaggers coming (expected today) the Plisson attracts such lavish praise I feel I ought to do the polite thing and get one. Having seen the photos of the stashes of other members maybe a grand total of three brushes isn't excessive.
The manual Moore and Wright comes to the rescue. I hate things with batteries that give up when you need them.

The handle height is 48mm, the base diameter is 36.25mm, and the width at the widest part of the "swell" (roughly 33mm up from the base) is 37.5mm.

It's a bit difficult to compare it with the L'Occitane version, but the rings at the base are slightly different. It may be an optical illusion, but the handle of mine looks a little slimmer than the other. Perhaps someone who has one could provide measurements.

The other thing is that any wooden-handled brush will have a turned handle; unless someone can injection-mould wood. The "du Barbier" handle is moulded and has light mould lines on either side. Doesn't bother me, but might not appeal to purists.

Thanks most muchly, Ferrum...extremely prompt and helpful replies.

I'll compare the dimensions to the 23mm Jagger when it turns up.

And thanks for your other observations including reference to the mould marks...which wouldn't trouble the likes of me but was a thoughtful point.

Ta.

Two Jagger synthetics just arrived (super quick delivery - good service from Connaught and thanks to them for the 10% discount) ... the 23mm in Ebony coloured resin and the 25mm in Horn coloured resin.

23mm handle measures 35mm at the base, 36mm at the widest part and 50mm high.

First impression....the 25mm is def. worth the jump up in size and isn't as huge as I was afraid it might be and is noticeably chunkier in handle and in knot. The 23mm, whilst (obviously) a bit heftier than the 21mm might not be a sufficient increase over the 21mm, but we'll see. I'm sure that the 25mm will be keeper and the 23mm remains to be seen.....prob. keep them both TBH.

And so the Plisson is a 22mm knot as opposed to, say, the 23mm Jagger. The Plisson has a slightly shorter handle (by 2mm) but the handle is 1.5 mm wider, both at the base and at the widest part.

Indeed, will be popping upstairs for a syntheticfest shortly.

Believe me...if I was I'd not make enough to feed a mouse. If I had a pound for every time I was stopped in the street having been mistaken for George Clooney, I'd have very empty pockets.

I had a first go with my new Plisson "du Barbier" brush, and it certainly seems to do the job and more with shaving cream (TOBS, in this case). There's plenty of lather, and the soft feel that people have enthused over.

I may try it with some croap (TFS) to see if it can be loaded reasonably well, but I don't think it will work very well with hard soaps.

One thing I like very much about it is the bristle colouration. In a particular light the tips look almost lavender-coloured, and the rest is equally good to look at. Other non-plain synthetics try hard to be badger-looking, but this is more a charming French Impressionist version of badger.

Ferrum said:
I had a first go with my new Plisson "du Barbier" brush, and it certainly seems to do the job and more with shaving cream (TOBS, in this case). There's plenty of lather, and the soft feel that people have enthused over.

I may try it with some croap (TFS) to see if it can be loaded reasonably well, but I don't think it will work very well with hard soaps.

One thing I like very much about it is the bristle colouration. In a particular light the tips look almost lavender-coloured, and the rest is equally good to look at. Other non-plain synthetics try hard to be badger-looking, but this is more a charming French Impressionist version of badger.

You're selling this brush to me Ferrum. :icon_razz:

Steve. B said:
Just used my Plisson with some Crabtree and Evelyn Moroccan Myrrh shave cream certainly can't complain.. Lovely brush..
I've just been looking at your SOTD and was going to comment on the Plisson, it does look a fantastic brush! I see what ferrum says about the tips looking almost lavender.

Back
Top Bottom