Pre-shave oil and badger brushes

I am thinking about trying a quality pre-shave oil. I have always steered clear up to now as I have been worried about how if might affect my brush if I immediately apply soap or cream without washing the oil off.

Has anyone got any views on what pre-shave oils do to a shaving brush. If it is of any help I am considering the Truefitt & Hill ultimate comfort pre-shave oil.

depends what you want the oil to do?

part of the pre-shave prep or as an extra lubricant?

i've tried loads of different things over the time i've been wet-shaving and this is one of these products that you don't really need :shave

i got my old man using it as he still uses canned foam and an oil helps him no end, but if your using a half decent soap\cream then this is an unnecessary addition.
it'll help and make your shave a little bit better but i don't think it's worth it.

that being said i think the T&H Oil is one of the best available, typically it's about the most expensive :roll:

don't wash it off before lathering or your defeating the purpose of that particular product and it shouldn't damage your brush :?

Whatever you do, don't try a typical home made recipe of castor and olive oil - that really gets into a brush.

Castle Forbes pre shave won't affect your brush, it doesn't affect my shave either! And it's very expensive. Cannot comment on the T&H. I am very sceptical about the value of these products, Lather with a hot flannel over before lathering proper is probably as good as any pre shave application.

You won't be alone if you try the T&H. it's a best seller. But does it get repeat sales? - that's the test!

Have you noticed any kind of build up on your brush? I would think that if you multiple lathers & passes the cream or soap will remove any oil from the brush.

What are the ingredients of the T&H pre shave oil??

I will have some expensive brand new pre-shave oils up for sale soon for very good prices. Most of these are more expensive than the Truefitt and hill's and just as good, if not better. The anthony logistics pre shave oil is probably better.

A lab series pre shave oil, which i occasionall use when i am in a hurry is working great. for me. Since I only need a 4-5 drops, the bottle will last me ages and so the other oils are for sale.

You're welcome to purchase. My personal belief is that a good prep (kyles prep for example) and a good soap should be fine, when you have the time. Also depends on type of beard, of course. Some folks seem to swear by it, some don't see the need, and others like me use it when needed.

King of Shaves make a pre-shave oil (little blue bottle), it is about one tenth the cost of the T&H product, and is easily just as good. You can pick up the King of Shaves oil in any Boots or Superdrug, for around £2

I've not tried any oils, but have and use (intermittantly) the Castle Forbes pre-shave. It's effectiveness seems to depend upon what razor/blade combo I'm using, but it's water soluble, and doesn't muck up your brush. As Fido said, it IS expensive.

Ian

Have used the T&H pre-shave oil on numerous occasions from free samples given in the shop, these are some of my thoughts on what it does/ doesn't do.

Does
Build up on the brush after extended use.
Covers the razor in a film that has to be washed off.
Leaves a film over the sink and fittings after use.
Tended to work better with creams than soaps.
Smells bloody nice in a citrusy kind of way.

Doesn't
Make a blind bit of difference to the shave.

Horses for courses, but I'd say its money better spent elsewhere.

I thought shaving oils were designed to be used with cartridge razors. Usually the first blade in a cartridge scoops away all the gel or cream like a snow plough leaving nothing for the other blades to work on - hence the razor burn. Most cartridge users probably apply oil, gel or cream by hand. Shaving oil provides an underlying surface for lubrication which does not get scooped away so easily by the cartridge blades.

I had been using proraso preshave, To moisturize while I'm setting up my shave. It just reminded me too much of Noxzema , so for a 10th of the cost I switched to Noxzema with a very little grapeseed oil, almond oil, and glycerin, mixed in. Has been working just as well as the high priced spread. ... Also cleans and moisturizes my skin too!

Why not make your own?

One third grapeseed oil, one third sweet almond oil, one third almond kernal oil. Or if you can't find the almond kernal oil, just go half and half with grapeseed and sweet almond.

You only need a drop about the size of a 5p, which is left under the soap, rub well in. It won't clog the brush, razor or leave a residue in the sink. It gives an extra layer of protection, and re-moisturises and softens the skin.

Or I can make up a small sample for you and pop it in the post for you to try.

Martin.

I occassional use the castel and forbes pre shave and quite enjoy using it, although like others dont really think it makes much difference to closeness of my shave. It hasnt affected my brush. It is expensive but you can get it in a 30ml travel size for £5.75 if you want to try it out.

I use (Straight Shaver) a Pre Shave Oil called Nuage available in ASDA supermarkets @ £1. Doesn't effect my badger at all, it has a menthol kick to it and cetainly makes for a more comfortable shave.

Bargain!

Fido said:
Whatever you do, don't try a typical home made recipe of castor and olive oil - that really gets into a brush.

Castle Forbes pre shave won't affect your brush, it doesn't affect my shave either! And it's very expensive. Cannot comment on the T&H. I am very sceptical about the value of these products, Lather with a hot flannel over before lathering proper is probably as good as any pre shave application.

You won't be alone if you try the T&H. it's a best seller. But does it get repeat sales? - that's the test!

Castor oil?? The only Castor oil I know is the good old Castrol R40, I use it in the chain saw and strimmer and the exhaust smells fantastic. LOL:icon_razz:

I use Somerset's Extra Sensitive with a No-Name Chinese Badger brush and have had no problems so far. Definitely makes a difference to the smoothness of a shave and has a nice menthol kick.

Back
Top Bottom