Pre-shave oil and badger brushes

Like Jaycey I too use a straight and noticed a significant deterioration on the occasion when I left it out. As with any product you will get differing opinions - the only one that matters is your own.

I've tried T&H and Allans Slick Water - both work well and I have not experienced any build up in my brush or sink - bear in mind you only require a tiny amount and if it doesn't affect the quality of lather on your face it's unlikely to be a problem on the brush.

Someone wrote that they did not get a closer shave with oil - I don't think its intended to do so (it's the blade and technique that determines that) - in my experience it provides a degree of additional glide and comfort.

I have the Village Barber oil to try soon - it comes with a good recommendation and is cheaper than the others I've tried.

When cartridge shaving I never used foam/gel just oil. Nivea spray oil lasted for months and always gave me a decent shave. I tried it as a DE pre-shave but like others have said it didn't make a blind bit of difference. You can pick it up for a quid at Home Bargains.

I tried the Village Barber pre-shave oil (purchased together with a shave balm) and have experienced two very nice (and comfortable) straight shaves on consecutive days. I used it with a DE this morning with a 7 o'clock blade on it's third outing - this again was very comfortable and the only comparison I have is with a Shark that began to tug when I used it for the third time. Given that I also used pre-shave with the Shark (Allans Slick Water as opposed to Village Barber) I cannot draw any conclusions as to whether the blade or different pre-shave are responsible.

What I can say is that some form of pre-shave suits me - it's probably more important when using a straight than a DE. Together with the Village Barber balm, it leaves a very nice and moisturised feeling.

Of the three I've tried to date - T&H, John Allans Slick Water and Village Barber, the last wins in terms of performance, smell and price.

UKRob said:
I tried the Village Barber pre-shave oil (purchased together with a shave balm) and have experienced two very nice (and comfortable) straight shaves on consecutive days. I used it with a DE this morning with a 7 o'clock blade on it's third outing - this again was very comfortable and the only comparison I have is with a Shark that began to tug when I used it for the third time. Given that I also used pre-shave with the Shark (Allans Slick Water as opposed to Village Barber) I cannot draw any conclusions as to whether the blade or different pre-shave are responsible.

What I can say is that some form of pre-shave suits me - it's probably more important when using a straight than a DE. Together with the Village Barber balm, it leaves a very nice and moisturised feeling.

Of the three I've tried to date - T&H, John Allans Slick Water and Village Barber, the last wins in terms of performance, smell and price.

Thanks for your observations UKRob.
As far as the "tug" you mention is concerned, it is almost certainly down to the blade. As Village Barber Shaving Oil is designed as a 'stand-alone' shaving product IE can be used without the need for soap/cream (although many, like yourself, use it as a pre-shave) it will give CONSISTENT results with EVERY shave. Why not try VB Oil on its own and let us know what you think?
I do like a "pamper" shave myself, usually once a week, when I use Village Barber Shaving Oil as a pre-shave and then lather up with one of my favourite shaving creams. At the moment, The New York Shaving Co's 'Tonsorial' cream is absolutely brilliant. The scent alone has me lathering up for much longer than I should!

VillageBarberUK

Back
Top Bottom