Pre Shave Oil recipes

Hi Guys,

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any pre shave oil recipes and how you got on with them?

I've got grape seed oil, castor and some essential oils (tea tree, eucalyptus, lavender, rosewood) on their way and would appreciate any tips.

Thanks

Bill

I saw a recipe online somewhere that used:
3/4 (75%) castor oil
1/4 (25%) extra virgin olive oil
5 drops of favorite essential oil (lavender, tea tree, sandalwood, etc.)

I've used straight olive oil as a pre-shave. It was nice, but made a bit of a mess and I smelled like an Italian restaurant.

I have tried a few different blends.
My current concoction is roughly:
40% Argan Oil
40% Grapeseed Oil
15% Jojoba
5% Glycerin
5 drops of Lavender EO

The Argan oil is quite expensive and I'm not sure it's a big step up from the grapeseed, so you can substitute that.
In a previous blend I have also added about 10% of coconut oil in lieu of some of the grapeseed/argan.

On my previous batch, I added lemon EO which was a very nice subtle fragrance to the oil.

I bought some 30ml pump dispensers which I fill with a new blend whenever I run out and keep the oils in the fridge as they seem to have a shelf life of between 6 - 24 months.

I think it's great that you are making your own. I find it very satisfying to use my own mixes and they are easily as good as bought ones at a vastly cheaper cost

I wet to Thailand recently and after being privileged enough to have a massage every day I actually bought a bottle of their massage oil, which contains, rose, lavender, jasmine and lotus flower. To this I added a few menthol crystals and some almost oil. I have used it a few times and love the smell as well as the performance.

Cheers guys, much appreciated advice. From what you have posted I think I should be able to get a good oil with the ingredients I have, glad to hear all 3 of you recommend lavender as I do like the scent.

I've got grapeseed and castor oil, maybe a ratio of 2:1 respectively, then dispense in 30 ml bottles? Deciding on which essential oils is going to be the hard part, my first batch will definitely include a few drops of lavender, but might add one of the others (my sample included rosewood, eucalyptus, myrrh, tea tree and frankincense).

I like the fact that some fellow shavers are trying their own concoctions, it makes shaving that bit more exciting.

Cheers
Bill

P.s. any funny names for your blends?

ChillBill said:
Hi Guys,

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any pre shave oil recipes and how you got on with them?

I've got grape seed oil, castor and some essential oils (tea tree, eucalyptus, lavender, rosewood) on their way and would appreciate any tips.

Thanks

Bill

Have a look in here.. http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-8315.html

I finally made my own oil in a 30ml dispenser.

Basically two thirds grapeseed oil, one third castor oil, 2 drops each of some essential oils (eucalyptus, frankincense, myrrh).

Not bad, but to be honest not as good as the TOBS pre shave oil I had a while back.

B

I've been making up a successful pre-shave oil from things around the house: olive oil (75%), avocado oil (5%), coconut oil (5%), glycerine (5%), citrus juices - lemon, lime & grapefruit (10%). I have since added several drops of grapefruit essential oil. Lovely stuff.

That sounds like a really good mixture there. Does the glycerine make it a little slicker? I'd be interested to know as maybe that's a key ingredient I'm missing?

Cheers
Bill

Hi Fellas,
I made a concoction of 1 part caster oil, 1 part jojoba oil, 1 part extra virgin olive oil and 2 parts grape seed oil. That works really well for me with only a couple drops rubbed into the whiskers before the lather is applied. After the shave there is only a slight, nice, feeling of residual oil on the face.

My first try with this recipe was with a couple of drops of Myrte Anden but I felt like it added a little irritation. It smelled nice. But, it is better without an aroma I think.

Tonight I'm going to mix up a new batch using the same recipe except for the Grape Seed Oil. I'm going with Almond Oil this time. I understand that it works better by some margin, has a much longer shelf life and has some healing properties. If I survive it I'll report back on my findings.

Have a nice night.

Chasmo

Good Morning,
I mixed up some new stuff last night and used it this morning. The only difference from above is that I used Almond Oil instead of Grape Seed Oil. I dripped about three drops in my palm and worked it in the beard before the shave. It still left my face feeling nice after the shave but, it was noticably less oily with the Almond Oil. I think I like it this way best.

Regards

Chasmo

[attachment=9433][attachment=9434]Well Sir, I truly do not know. I was at the grocery story with my daughter and asked her how to say "Almond" in German. This is what they had on the shelf. I sure hope these pictures post.

Regards

Chasmo

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 41
I also have made up some pre shave oil this weekend which I used this morning, works well I'm pleased to say.

4 parts coconut oil
3 parts sweet almond oil
1 part caster oil
1 part tea tree oil

Maybe a touch thick though.

Back
Top Bottom