Pre Shave Oil recipes

I tweaked mine a little further on my latest batch. I've been mixing small batches to keep waste to a minimum. I was reading about the good properties of Walnut Oil and purchased a small bottle. I must have squirrel in my blood line some where in my past because I just love the smell of that stuff. So, I worked in a portion thereof:

1 part caster oil
1 part jojoba oil
1 part extra virgin olive oil
1 part sweet almond oil
1 part walnut oil

As far as I can see I intend to hold at this mixture. But, I do have a curiosity for using two parts walnut oil and cutting out the almond oil. Will I ever just settle for good enough?

Regards

Chasmo

Chasmo said:
Hi Fellas,
I made a concoction of 1 part caster oil, 1 part jojoba oil, 1 part extra virgin olive oil and 2 parts grape seed oil. That works really well for me with only a couple drops rubbed into the whiskers before the lather is applied. After the shave there is only a slight, nice, feeling of residual oil on the face.

My first try with this recipe was with a couple of drops of Myrte Anden but I felt like it added a little irritation. It smelled nice. But, it is better without an aroma I think.

Tonight I'm going to mix up a new batch using the same recipe except for the Grape Seed Oil. I'm going with Almond Oil this time. I understand that it works better by some margin, has a much longer shelf life and has some healing properties. If I survive it I'll report back on my findings.

Have a nice night. Think I will try this thanks.

Chasmo

Hi Guys :)

I am a new member to the forums, and kind of found my way here as I was looking at pre-shave oils. I am bearded but do shave my neck line, cheeks, and like to define the lines of my beard, I am currently using a cheap straight shavvette, with a view to upgrading if my face gets on OK with this method of shaving.

I have made my own pre-shave oil and used the following ingredients:

1/3 Jamaican Black Castor Oil
1/3 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 Sweet Almond Oil

I have tried other mixtures, but this seems to be the best and the most cost effective for me. The Jamaican Black castor oil is thicker than normal castor oil which I find better.

I am now experimenting with making my own beard oil :)

Hi Ian - Welcome to TSR!

Interesting blend! When I first looked at making up a shaving oil or a pre-shaving oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil and peach kernel oil all came in again and again and again ... I simplified and just went with what I had in the kitchen, but it most definitely opened my eyes to a the secret of a really nice shave and great face feel afterwards.

I will look into the Jamaican oil. Where did you get it? Local Caribbean food store?

pjgh said:
Hi Ian - Welcome to TSR!

Interesting blend! When I first looked at making up a shaving oil or a pre-shaving oil, castor oil, sweet almond oil and peach kernel oil all came in again and again and again ... I simplified and just went with what I had in the kitchen, but it most definitely opened my eyes to a the secret of a really nice shave and great face feel afterwards.

I will look into the Jamaican oil. Where did you get it? Local Caribbean food store?

TBH the Jamaican castor oil was recommended as a good conditioner for my beard, and I found afterwards its really good for thickening hair as well. I got it from Amazon :)

I did try some different oils when experimenting, including:

Jojoba Oil
Coconut Oil

But these are both more expensive, and without the Jamaican Black castor oil it was a thin mix. I added the JB castor oil just to thicken the mix a bit and got a better shave. I then come up with the recipe as per my first post, this done exactly the same job, but worked out a lot cheaper.

I didnt waste the jojoba or the coconut oil thou, as I now use this for a beard and skin oil I use :)

I use cold pressed hemp oil will a few drops of rosemary essential oil added. I find it works well for me. Can't be doing with heavy oils like olive oil. I do use almond oil in a home made salt scrub in the shower which does soak into the skin, but I found a pre shave oil made from almond oil too greasy for my face. Guess it's down to skin type.

Thai massage oil mixed with almond oil and menthol crystals, I tend to avoid coconut oil as I find it to be quite clogging. I also usually put a few drops of tea tree in as well

Back
Top Bottom