Preview - Blackland Blackbird - OC

There does appear to be a large blade gap between top and bottom plate albeit with little blade exposure. Could this be the feel of aggressiveness as opposed to anything else?

In terms of OC, my vintage Fasan and Trumpf slant OC look wicked but the shaves are sublime. This could be an awesome little saver, well done.

I, along with other testers, had a chance to try the new prototype version of the Blackland OC baseplate by @ShaneS to provide feedback on how it performs.

Below: OC Prototype 1, BB SB, OC Prototype 2.
1se8wj.jpg

As you can tell from the picture above the main design change is the increase in number of teeth. The individual teeth are also quite a bit wider.
One of the concerns I personally had about v1 was that the razor didn't feel as smooth/comfortable during the shave as, say, the SB. That also made it hard for me to accurately gauge how aggressive the base plate was.

Well, let me tell you - the v2 eliminated that concern completely.
The additional teeth turned the base plate into one smooth shaver and it was a pure pleasure to use.
It was also much easier to tell how aggressive the plate was and it is, in my opinion, almost identical to the SB.
I am personally quite a fan of OC plates as I like the increase in lather pass-through and that was well achieved with this plate.

Two passes and I was, as @Fergiebilly would say, 'dolphin smooth'.

Great job and I hope it makes it to market!

2dchevm.jpg

I, along with other testers, had a chance to try the new prototype version of the Blackland OC baseplate by @ShaneS to provide feedback on how it performs.

Below: OC Prototype 1, BB SB, OC Prototype 2.
1se8wj.jpg

As you can tell from the picture above the main design change is the increase in number of teeth. The individual teeth are also quite a bit wider.
One of the concerns I personally had about v1 was that the razor didn't feel as smooth/comfortable during the shave as, say, the SB. That also made it hard for me to accurately gauge how aggressive the base plate was.

Well, let me tell you - the v2 eliminated that concern completely.
The additional teeth turned the base plate into one smooth shaver and it was a pure pleasure to use.
It was also much easier to tell how aggressive the plate was and it is, in my opinion, almost identical to the SB.
I am personally quite a fan of OC plates as I like the increase in lather pass-through and that was well achieved with this plate.

Two passes and I was, as @Fergiebilly would say, 'dolphin smooth'.

Great job and I hope it makes it to market!

2dchevm.jpg
Thanks for the review @Darkbulb. In terms of efficiency is there a shaver you can compare it to so that we can have an idea of what to expect?
thanks.gif

Thanks for the review @Darkbulb. In terms of efficiency is there a shaver you can compare it to so that we can have an idea of what to expect?
thanks.gif

I'd say it's as aggressive as the SB but slightly more efficient (defined here as 'the amount of effort to get to a very close shave') which could be contributed to the better lather-pass through and my perception influenced by an OC preference in general. Think an "OC Gillette Slim set to 7 but that shaves a 20% more efficiently').

Don't hold me to that. :)

I'd say it's as aggressive as the SB but slightly more efficient (defined here as 'the amount of effort to get to a very close shave') which could be contributed to the better lather-pass through and my perception influenced by an OC preference in general. Think an "OC Gillette Slim set to 7 but that shaves a 20% more efficiently').

Don't hold me to that. :)
thanks.gif
That was very helpful, i agree about the lather pass-through, i find it also makes the OC's a treat to buff with. :)

Thanks for the writeup, DB. Just a few small tweaks to make it ready for production and then some machined prototypes will be made. Slants are in the early prototyping stage, but they shave really well so far.

Back
Top Bottom