Quartz Watches

do you think a watch makes you look cool?

My tongue was firmly in cheek, hence the smiley.

o938ds.gif

I think there are different types of watch for different kind of situation, some are more casual and some more classy. My rotation is composed of 3 watches mainly:

- a Speedmaster on black or grey nato straps, for either casual or classy situations (some would argue that it's a sport watch, but Bond wears sportwatch with his fancy Savile Row tailored suits)

- two quartz (casual and outdoor activities): a solar radio-controled G-shock (to check time) that is ideal when I need very precie time (exam, travel, etc) and an inexpensive analog Decathlon watch (hands are easier to read for aged eyes...)

The inaccuracy of auto/mechanical watch is a false debate in my opinion (unless having a mechanical problem: oil, faulty gear, etc.), since many people do carry a mobile phone; moreover, if the watch loses or gains a few seconds (less than +/- 30s), it's really not a big deal... If you're always in advance, whatever your watch is, you'll always be in advance, the same is you're always late. It's about the nature of people.

On the other hand I agree that the maintenance of an expensive auto/mech watch is rather expensive ... About £500 every 5 years or so is discouraging.

Bought this one for my daughter to use on her Musical Tour of Europe last month. I thought it was 'cool', she didn't [emoji20].
0a6b589fe6b2db201a74a4aea4fcc76c.jpg
17d6612549e4e78fe107acf681792b19.jpg

Goes into the Gift Box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to own a mechanical watch, cant afford it but I plan on owning one further down the line. For me its about the craftmanship of a mechanical and qlthough I've no experience to the time keeping, I dont think that it would bother me if it did step out of line.
For now I wear a cheap casio watch, cost me £7, as its for work and it could potentialy get covered in muck, I wouldnt wear anything else.

As I get older, I rather sadly lose interest in my mechanical watch collection which I shall be selling shortly. I now rely on G-Shocks which are very accurate and virtually, so far, unbreakable.

I moved over to the darkside when I retired - my automatics kept stopping - something about not waving my left arm about as much as I used to - and the fact that the makers of certain automatics no longer supporting certain movements so I thought screw 'em and bought a quartz.

I have only a couple of battery watches, citizen Eco drives are excellent watches, to me watches are Jewelry, I only wear them if I am dressed up, so it's rarely, though I do have about a dozen mechanical, none are expensive models though.

I have only a couple of battery watches, citizen Eco drives are excellent watches, to me watches are Jewelry, I only wear them if I am dressed up, so it's rarely, though I do have about a dozen mechanical, none are expensive models though.

Yes, I think the argument that a watch is a merely functional item for telling the time rather misses the point. It is an item of jewellery. Along with cufflinks and a wedding ring, the only acceptable item of jewellery for a gentleman;).

I've got a Citizen eco drive and it is a nice watch; slim and elegant - I can't stand those bulky sports watches that ruin the look of your cuffs and end up wearing you rather than the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom