Rear Fogs

Tonight on the way home in light mist I ended up following a convoy of cars all with rear fog lights blazing away, dazzling the car behind. Does no one think to switch them off or am I just getting extra grumpy after a bad day at work?

My mrs calls me the light police, people driving with no lights, or side lights in pitch black. Drives me bloody nuts, that an people with one or no working break lights.

Am I the only one who finds those modern bluish type headlights really blind oncoming motorists i.e. me? I can't understand how they are legal. It's like they're driving on full beam all the time.

Going down the M6 this morning in very light mist (daylight) and noticed the overhead sign read "fog". As soon as the car in front of me drove under the sign they immediately put on their fog lights. My subconsciousness first reaction was that they were braking.

People are getting a bit trigger-happy with the fog lights these days without considering the road conditions or other road users. Needless to say the visibility remained very good and the bright red light continued at blinding speed.

I also get irritated by people who sit at traffic lights (or level crossings) at night, with their foot on the brake, blinding the driver behind...

I get really wound up by people not using lights properly. Or people driving around without lights working properly. I accept having one bulb gone but some cars its a case of spot the working light.

I hate seeing people drive on sidelights when its nearly dark.
I hate seeing foglights on when it isn't seriously foggy.
I hate Daylight Running Lights.

As for the blue headlights, yes they are bright and can be dazzling, I never used to like them but now I have a car with them I can see why they are so good. Visibility is hugely improved at night.

Leaving rear fogs on, with a car behind you, is actually against the Highway Code. I looked it up. It gives me a headache driving behind someone with rear fogs on. I always switch mine off when I see someone coming up behind me cos they can see my normal lights by then.

cheese_dave said:
Leaving rear fogs on, with a car behind you, is actually against the Highway Code. I looked it up. It gives me a headache driving behind someone with rear fogs on. I always switch mine off when I see someone coming up behind me cos they can see my normal lights by then.

Ahh but as a PSCO told me the Highway Code "Is only for guidance"!

People with fog lights on annoy me too. There can be no hint of fog and some people have them on. I always flash my fogs on and off to them. I only use mine when driving in fog and they come off as soon as it clears. As for the rear fogs I only use them when there is a distance behind me, never in town or a busy motorway.

All this said I was asked the other day by someone younger why I used my signals when overtaking and going over the central road markings. Personally I believe the driving instructors when I passed were better.

I find front fogs very useful on very dark country roads or in snowy conditions and clearly fog but any other time they are really rather annoying. I'm 26 so not all young people find them cool.

Icey, foggy rush hour this morning sat in the traffic in the grim grey dawn loads of fog lights on in the traffic jams and at least half a dozen with no lights on at all when I got on the 621. Sods!

I always drive with at least my sidelights on these days; our company cars & vans are black so I tried it as an experiment and the difference in being cut up and pulled out on etc. was surprising yet convincing

Northam Saint said:

Ahh but as a PSCO told me the Highway Code "Is only for guidance"!

I always thought rear fogs were only supposed to be used when visibility was down to 100 Yds/100m or less
As for the PCSO my guidance would be, take no notice of him, as when you get pulled for speeding or whatever rule they suppose you have infringed just tell them that PCSO Knobhead said the Highway Code is only for guidance :icon_lol:

Back
Top Bottom